LEICA Q for B&W photography

EdwardM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Following the theme:

Basilique Sainte-Marie-Madeleine, Saint-Maxime-la-Sainte-Baume, Provence

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure it just creates a B&W jpeg. RAW remains as colour. 

RAW is just data from the sensor, and has to get converted to a picture in some kind og RAW processor. IMO the only reason to use monochrome scene is, if you want to have an idea of that look before PP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Agree with all the above comments. The benefit of seeing B+W in the EVF is that it enables you to concentrate on tonal relationships and contrast when shooting - which is what B+W is all about. Also shooting in RAW+Mono JPEG is that if the OOC JPEG is good then you have an image immediately. Having said that I would much prefer to work on a RAW and convert it in Lightroom/Photoshop or Silver Efex Pro. This gives you far more control over the luminence values of different colours, contrast, shadow control and so on. As good as the Q is it is not as good as Fuji with its in camera B+W film simulations which I found when I had the X-Pro2 were excellent.

My image above of the Basilique is an example of working on a RAW to get exactly the tonal range I wanted. 

Edited by HighlandK
  • Like 2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

• 3 months later...

The last couple of weeks I've been shooting B/W jpegs along with Raw.  Often they need little or no correction to make decent images for Flickr etc.  There may not be some of the nuance of using Silver Efex Pro, but the workflow is quick and satisfying. I'm spending several months traveling and want to post lots of pics, but not spend too much time editing. I've even uploaded pics using the Leica Q on my iPhone with almost no edits. 

Many examples on my Flickr and smugmug.

41703520844_d343858e11_b.jpgLunch behind the market by C. Reid Taylor, on Flickr

• Like 9

The last couple of weeks I've been shooting B/W jpegs along with Raw.  Often they need little or no correction to make decent images for Flickr etc.  There may not be some of the nuance of using Silver Efex Pro, but the workflow is quick and satisfying. I'm spending several months traveling and want to post lots of pics, but not spend too much time editing. I've even uploaded pics using the Leica Q on my iPhone with almost no edits. 

41703520844_d343858e11_b.jpgLunch behind the market by C. Reid Taylor, on Flickr

What is the best JPEG setting in camera for B&W?

I'd be really interested in reading answers to your question. Of course you're just dealing with contrast and sharpness, because saturation sets the B&W. And contrast and sharpness are easily regulated in post-processing. 

• Like 1

I use medium high contrast and standard sharpness.  It's easy enough to take a few picks with a few combinations to see what you like. I especially like the way higher ISO pics maintain a film-like quality.

Thanks for the information..I’ll try those settings in my Q.

Sometimes it's a good idea to challenge yourself, and shoot for example jpg only, black and white. Iy sharpens ones vision

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...