New Leica TL System announced

Give me an example of when you actually did appreciate a contribution from a participant. I haven't seen any signs of appreciation from your part so far.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/user/14714-pop/?tab=reputation&app_tab=forums&type=given

Please do have a look at our forum rules. Your bashing of members who are pleased with their products is against our rules. Your baseless accusations of Leica Camera AG are off topic here and, hence, against our rules.

Give me an example of when you actually did appreciate a contribution from a participant. I haven't seen any signs of appreciation from your part so far.

You're not making any sense, because what you're saying is like complaining to the traffic policeman that he hasn't patted anyone on the back for driving correctly, with the intention of implying that he's picking on your for no reason.

An administrator does not have to be appreciative to anyone's contributions; he has to mind that the forum rules are followed. He doesn't have to prove to you his niceness at any point in time, and especially not when telling you off.

Edited by rpopescu

You're not making any sense, because what you're saying is like complaining to the traffic policeman that he hasn't patted anyone on the back for driving correctly, with the intention of implying that he's picking on your for no reason.

An administrator does not have to be appreciative to anyone's contributions; he has to mind that the forum rules are followed. He doesn't have to prove to you his niceness at any point in time, and especially not when telling you off.

As I mentioned before: I am being literal. I do not deal in hidden messages.

Can we hit the rewind button a moment?

Floramobil:

- what exactly is it that you're trying to get from Leica? A bayonet as a spare part? For free or to buy? (I assume that the TL/SL bayonet is patented, so licensing would come into it).

- what do you want it for? I didn't understand your bit about a filter adapter to a Rokkor lens?

- you say that Leica might benefit from this themselves. Is this because others might want your product, which might sell more TLs?

- did you post here just as a rant, or is there anything members could help you with? 

Edited by LocalHero1953

Miscommunication:

I give an example for Leica's lack of understanding the true life photographers' situation. I have two smartphones with some android versions on them. I am not really intrested in android versions and nice phones. So I do not bother beyond knowing it is a phone, it has android, and it has WLAN connectivity.

The connection of my Leica T works with one phone, but it does not with the other, whatever  I try.

I go on with the one that does not connect with the app. I start the WLAN on the camera and on then link to it on the smartphone. All works fine. The camera tells me to start the leica tl app, which I do. The app connects to the WLAN created by the camera, but gets stuck in the camera detection. The TL app meanwhile shows a button marked "discover camera".

What would the average computer user think of that: By pressing this button I would get into a troubleshooting routine, looking for the source of the error. Nope. Maybe at least the button might lead me to a FAQ with a collection of possible sources of the issue and solutions to try. Actually it calls the internet browser. There is some hope. The browser wants to connect to the internet. What a shame, since I am stuck with the WLAN connection to my camera, so no, no, no internet. I regroup, still hoping for solution. I switch my WLAN connection and connect to the internet. What the hell?

After touching "discover camera" in the Leica TL app, looking for a work around for this lack of connection, I just land on the Leica advertising departments brain wash runway where they tell me about the single block of titanium from which my hardware has been polished. No FAQ, no customer feedback form visible in reach. No communication with my camera, nor with Leica. Just bright, shiny, dreams of greatness!

It is all about spit and shine, I don't see beyond.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can we hit the rewind button a moment?

Floramobil:

- what exactly is it that you're trying to get from Leica? A bayonet as a spare part? For free or to buy? (I assume that the TL/SL bayonet is patented, so licensing would come into it).

- what do you want it for? I didn't understand your bit about a filter adapter to a Rokkor lens?

- you say that Leica might benefit from this themselves. Is this because others might want your product, which might sell more TLs?

- did you post here just as a rant, or is there anything members could help you with? 

Actually I am trying to help those who might be mislead by thinking Leica does understand photographers needs or that they would care about it.

I am reporting on the continuing refusal to come about with a useful or at least working Android app.

I was trying to buy one bayonet to adapt a filter changer. The flange focal distance of the Leica T-mount is 19mm. For the R-mount it is 47mm. Therefore if I adapt a 800mm RF Rokkor lens with R-mount to the Leica T, I can spare 28mm for a filter changer. Baader Planetarium offers such a universal filter changer.

I am simply not intrested in patents. I own a camera and I want to use it. Are you suggesting, that as a camera owner I get into legal trouble when I do not act within factory specification? Are there lawyers in the wild, threatening customers on part of Leica's legal division? This gets even worse than just ignoring photographers' needs.

Edited by floramobil

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/user/14714-pop/?tab=reputation&app_tab=forums&type=given

Your baseless accusations of Leica Camera AG are off topic here and, hence, against our rules.

Oh, I am only just reporting on actual attempts on communication and on conversations with customer service staff here in Switzerland. If that is "baseless accusation" ... then probably because the reality I report on, is outside factory specification.

Actually I am trying to help those who might be mislead by thinking Leica does understand photographers needs or that they would care about it.

I am reporting on the continuing refusal to come about with a useful or at least working Android app.

I was trying to buy one bayonet to adapt a filter changer. The flansh focal distance of the Leica T-mount is 19mm. For the R-mount it is 47mm. Therefore if I adapt a 800mm RF Rokkor lens with R-mount to the Leica T, I can spare 28mm for a filter changer. Baader Planetarium offers such a universal filter changer.

I am simply not intrested in patents. I own a camera and I want to use it. Are you suggesting, that as a camera owner I get into legal trouble when I do not act within factory specification? Are there lawyers in the wild, threatening customers on part of Leica's legal division? This gets even worse than just ignoring photographers' needs.

I am not suggesting anything, Your comment (edit: or rather implication*) in an earlier post about Leica potentially missing out on sales (as a result of not giving you what you want to make an adapter) made me wonder if Leica's refusal to help was because they will only licence their bayonet to others to incorporate in an item - they will not sell it for such a purpose. They are interested in patents (and Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji) even if you are not.

But I now understand that your posts were about several issues, including the TL app.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/266320-new-leica-tl-system-announced/?p=3158425

Edited by LocalHero1953

Maybe there is hope ... especially if you approach them, politely  :)  

dunk 

Usually I am a very confident and joyful person, so I am polite by nature. It takes a lot of suffering before I loose patience the way I am loosing it with Leica.

The same manufacturer that you linked me to also makes adapters for the Sony E-mount. This is probably the road I will go. It is far easier to obtain the same kind of information on Sony cameras that I have been looking for from Leica. Sony's support might be less perfect, but it is more effective. Access to spare parts is easier and accessories are readily available. There is just not enough technical advantage in using a Leica camera.

[...]

I have two smartphones with some android versions on them. I am not really intrested in android versions and nice phones. So I do not bother beyond knowing it is a phone, it has android, and it has WLAN connectivity.

The connection of my Leica T works with one phone, but it does not with the other, whatever  I try.

[...]

It also worked flawlessly from my iPhone the first time I tried it.

My conclusion to this little story would be that one of your Android phones is crap, because the camera's the same and it works from one of the phones right?

You conclusion seems to be a wild-eyed rant.

Meh.

It also worked flawlessly from my iPhone the first time I tried it.

My conclusion to this little story would be that one of your Android phones is crap, because the camera's the same and it works from one of the phones right?

You conclusion seems to be a wild-eyed rant.

Meh.

Well lucky you. Your iPhone conforms with Leica's factory specifications. Another medal, this time for Apple. This will certainly increase dwindling sales of Apple iPhones.

Edited by floramobil

Hi Tom,

My German is very basic, but I thought your copy was possibly defective (ist mein Exemplar defekt?). Sorry

But it was fun trying.

Cheers,

I was indeed asking if my unit is defect. Because when I read the forums and this thread it sounds that the T is a flawed camera. But my unit seems different, I like to use it and images come out great. So something must be wrong. (And yes, I also see room for improvement, but I mostly see a camera which is fun to use and has excellent lenses)

I am being literal and not dealing in sarcasm:

There are customers who do not request anything from Leica apart from having a camera that takes pictures. Such are the customers who conform with factory specifications. They do not place requests beyond what Leica devise on their own. They do not attempt to feed back information to Leica.

Words that are never received, never aknowledged, never requested be it for that, such words are not "information", because nobody is being informed. Leica are not prepared to receive information from their customers. The only customers they can deal with, are those who conform with their design and advertising departments.

Should Leica actually happen to realize that there are such conforming customers out there, and should they aknowledge their existence by awarding the medal for the best conforming Leica owner, then this would be true progress:

In that event Leica would at least have aknowledged that they truly have customers grown from flesh and blood.

It could also be very well that Leica listens more to customers who use the equipment and share their experience a little less "loud" vs people who shout out how every Leica is a flawed luxury product.

In general I also wish Leica to communicate more often in the internet with their customers. On the other side I have had some good personal communication with Leica which shows me that they take their customers very serious. Also don't forget german mentality. We (I am german as well) do have good innovations, good technicians , a serious feel of responsibility for our jobs, but we are a little stubborn and not so great being open for critical comments.

Well lucky you. Your iPhone conforms with Leica's factory specifications. Another medal, this time for Apple. This will certainly increase dwindling sales of Apple iPhones.

My goodness! I just logged in and read the insults and further ranting. Over what?! A few minor mini flaws. I can just imagine why Leica wouldn't care with that attitude. It's a camera, not an IPhone! i have had only small issues with mine connecting to my IPad, and that's on an older version of the app, but still works in the right sequence of turning on, etc. And as far as them cowing down to your special needs for a bayonet or whatever, I think they have their hands busy with more important things there at Leica than for one picky demanding customer. Why don't you instead sell your T and get another camera that has what you want. Maybe you should have researched this before purchasing......duh.....if it was THAT important. Stop using the forum to bash Leica owners as if they are responsible for your problems.

Edited by billinghambaglady

I can't answer for the T app, but, FWIW, the SL app works fine on my android phone.

Floramobil: you say " I am not really intrested in android versions and nice phones.". As one phone works and the other doesn't, you might want to check android versions on your phones, and whether the T app has specified versions it works with.

• Like 1

So funny - initially, the comment read (and I have the forum email update to prove it):

Well lucky you. Your iPhone conforms with factory specifications. Another medal, this time for Apple.

I guess that could have been mistaken for a rather benign comment! But fear not, the edit came:

Oh my.