LUF Admin

New Leica TL System announced

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you own a T then there isn’t much reason to upgrade to a TL, unless you absolutely need a titanium-anodised version with doubled internal memory. You can look forward to getting most of the worthwhile improvements of the TL by way of a firmware upgrade for the T. If you wanted to buy a T and were disappointed by it being discontinued, you can look forward to getting a TL.

+1

nearly 3 years and they have reintroduced the same camera...not sure how anyone can possibly think this is a sane business decision.

As someone who has been waiting for a new T, I can tell you I won't buy this camera. Id rather spend $600 on a used T...how does that help Leica?

nearly 3 years and they have reintroduced the same camera...not sure how anyone can possibly think this is a sane business decision.

As someone who has been waiting for a new T, I can tell you I won't buy this camera. Id rather spend $600 on a used T...how does that help Leica?

The person who sold his or her used T might have bought another Leica. Quite a few second hand Leica cameras and lenses end up as entry models for people who will later buy new stuff as well.

The second hand market is widely thought to be rather important for most brands, and particulary here in the forum many users explicitly mention the resale value of Leica goods as an important factor in their buying decisions.

Guest VVJ

In the US the price of the T had dropped to $1,095.  

By re-introducing I guess Leica kind of re-sets the price to $1,695 hoping that they will be able to hold on to those margins for as long as possible, perhaps till a proper upgrade becomes available... 

By re-introducing I guess Leica kind of re-sets the price to $1,695 hoping that they will be able to hold on to those margins for as long as possible, perhaps till a proper upgrade becomes available... 

But why pay the higher price for the new camera when a firmware update will apparently give you most of the same benefits on an old model?

If I wanted a T I'd look for a used one, or find a dealer with old stock left.

But why pay the higher price for the new camera when a firmware update will apparently give you most of the same benefits on an old model?

If I wanted a T I'd look for a used one, or find a dealer with old stock left.

At this stage it makes sense but , are we sure there will be  new firmware for the "old T" similar to the one for the TL ? Or is out a rumor? Just asking.

robert

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At this stage it makes sense but , are we sure there will be  new firmware for the "old T" similar to the one for the TL ? Or is out a rumor? Just asking.

robert

Leica have said it, but then they're not the fastest at getting firmware updates out.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but in terms of physical, external changes, the TL has chamfered edges, which is a good change in my opinion.

As fo buying it... I really want Leica to bring out a TL2 with improved low light sensor and EVF performance, built-in EVF, and maybe faster operation.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but in terms of physical, external changes, the TL has chamfered edges, which is a good change in my opinion.

As fo buying it... I really want Leica to bring out a TL2 with improved low light sensor and EVF performance, built-in EVF, and maybe faster operation.

I think the beveled edges are for the titanium body only.  Its attractive, but not enough for me to want to 'upgrade' to the TL.

You know I read all this and really wonder, I used to be semi professional with Medium format in the form of Blads (500cm), Mamiya (RB67) and Bronica (GS-1), my cameras were donkey years old, all of them at the time were at least 5-10 years old and you know what...? a good image taken on them would still knock the spots off a current day DSLR!

Use what you have unless it is affecting the quality of your work, spend more time taking pictures rather than trawling the web on forums and you know what your images will miraculously improve. :-)

I bought my T because I have a bad back and needed something light so I could enjoy quality photography, I don't give a fig about the new model, it's the lenses and my eyes that do the hard work, so just enjoy

Just my twopenn'orth :-)

In the US, the T is not available.

Just bought a used T for $600

You know I read all this and really wonder, I used to be semi professional with Medium format in the form of Blads (500cm), Mamiya (RB67) and Bronica (GS-1), my cameras were donkey years old, all of them at the time were at least 5-10 years old and you know what...? a good image taken on them would still knock the spots off a current day DSLR!

Use what you have unless it is affecting the quality of your work, spend more time taking pictures rather than trawling the web on forums and you know what your images will miraculously improve. :-)

I bought my T because I have a bad back and needed something light so I could enjoy quality photography, I don't give a fig about the new model, it's the lenses and my eyes that do the hard work, so just enjoy

Actually a good state of the art DSLR or mirrorless FF camera would likely knock the stuffing out of any medium format film image as regards resolution and detail rendering - and there are some comparisons available within this forum which illustrate the fact. Whether the resultant images' digital footprints / characteristics appeal to everyone is another matter. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Guest VVJ

In the US, the T is not available.

Just bought a used T for $600

As of this morning the black one is still available at B&H.  It assume it is the last stock though...  The silver one has not been available since a while...

Good point. Of course film cameras don't age in the way that digital cameras do, likewise a poor student could potentially produce equal quality film images to the best paid pro using the same film - the 'sensor' i.e. film was minimal cost compared to the outlay one needs to make for the best digital equipment today. 

However, this is a forum to discuss Leica equipment and photography. If we didn't visit here to add our thoughts and comments the forum would die, and those of us who really want Leica to be the best they can be get irritated, mildly irritated, when we see them turning out products that fall short of the standards we expect.

That said, I've seen excellent work from the T. Just as I've also seen excellent work from an iPhone 3 or a vintage plate camera. The photographer matters far more than the gear and frankly most of us are using stuff that is far more capable than it needs to be. 

Leica could've just kept the T and released the firmware update, but they chose to release a 'new' camera instead, so blame them for this thread, not us!

Edited by earleygallery

This isn’t a new camera. Leica has relaunched the old one, added a letter to its name and slightly - very slightly - refreshed it.

I don’t object to a relaunch but I despise the deceitful gibberish that accompanies it. I got a message from Leica yesterday inviting me to “Express new facets of your personal style with a system camera that’s intensely different”. Who writes this hogwash?

I like the T. It works well for me. I’m in no rush to replace it but, if I’m spared, I will probably buy the genuinely new model when it appears, if it offers the kind of improved performance that I would find useful. In the meantime, the updated firmware and App are welcome, as is Leica’s evident commitment to the system.

This isn’t a new camera. Leica has relaunched the old one, added a letter to its name and slightly - very slightly - refreshed it.

I don’t object to a relaunch but I despise the deceitful gibberish that accompanies it. I got a message from Leica yesterday inviting me to “Express new facets of your personal style with a system camera that’s intensely different”. Who writes this hogwash?

I like the T. It works well for me. I’m in no rush to replace it but, if I’m spared, I will probably buy the genuinely new model when it appears, if it offers the kind of improved performance that I would find useful. In the meantime, the updated firmware and App are welcome, as is Leica’s evident commitment to the system.

Many sales and marketing blurbs should be taken with a pinch of salt. Sales and marketing people have to write something - but sometimes they underestimate the intelligence, or overestimate the gullibility, of intended targets. And Leica Camera AG has, in the past, been 'weak' on marketing / advertising. 

dunk