New Leica TL System announced

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It would have been nice if a small part of the funding for that Leitz park had been invested in R&D for the T2...  Such a missed opportunity...

Leica's R&D funding for new products has nothing to do with capital funding for Leitz Park … and I'd wager that funding was already allocated many months ago for T2 development and any other products on the Leica road map. 

dunk

Leica's R&D funding for new products has nothing to do with capital funding for Leitz Park … and I'd wager that funding was already allocated many months ago for T2 development and any other products on the Leica road map. 

dunk

I really don't know but quite honestly neither do you...

Fact is that this remains a massive disappointment to a lot of people and that Leica deserves a serious kick in the butt!

I really don't know but quite honestly neither do you...

Fact is that this remains a massive disappointment to a lot of people and that Leica deserves a serious kick in the butt!

If you, "… really don't know …," you and other naysayers would be wise to make yourselves more familiar with Leica product lead times instead of making /posting rash statements. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 2

Actually, there are people who do know. All the building done at the Leica site in Wetzlar is done by another company. The premises used by Leica are rented.

Philipp,

Thanks for the information!

It doesn't change my opinion about the new TL though... if a new color is the only thing you can come up with after 3 years then you have massively dropped the ball...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Philipp,

Thanks for the information!

It doesn't change my opinion about the new TL though... if a new color is the only thing you can come up with after 3 years then you have massively dropped the ball...

This is not the first time Leica launched a slightly modified camera after about two thirds of the expected market life. The M9 (I believe) comes to mind which boasted a harder screen cover and an increased internal buffer as well as a slightly modified name.

Besides, the new T a.k.a. TL has an increased buffer as well, and some people might find that attractive.

I can't understand all that ball dropping and so on. If you already own a T and it's good enough, then it is good enough. If you don't own a T and the TL is still not good enough, look for a camera which fits the bill. 

• Like 3

This is not the first time Leica launched a slightly modified camera after about two thirds of the expected market life. The M9 (I believe) comes to mind which boasted a harder screen cover and an increased internal buffer as well as a slightly modified name.

Besides, the new T a.k.a. TL has an increased buffer as well, and some people might find that attractive.

I can't understand all that ball dropping and so on. If you already own a T and it's good enough, then it is good enough. If you don't own a T and the TL is still not good enough, look for a camera which fits the bill. 

Exactly … it's typical of the way Leica modify their cameras.

dunk 

The M8.2 comes to mind as well which if I recall correctly was launched one year before the M9...

That being said for rangefinders Leica is the only shop in town...  Leica can basically do whatever they want, people who want a rangefinder are still going to buy Leica...

About the internal memory, if you always write to a memory card the increased internal memory is as far as I know useless... 

Besides that, I believe we agree to disagree... my personal opinion is that the T was ready for a more recent sensor and a/o better high ISO performance, etc

If voicing that disappointment makes me a naysayer so be it...

Leica could offer a superb APSC system camera. It's a shame for them to hold themselves back by offering such a mediocre product.

+1.  I couldn't agree more, only I would rather say dated instead of mediocre.

Leica could offer a superb APSC system camera. It's a shame for them to hold themselves back by offering such a mediocre product.

Hey ho.

+1.  I couldn't agree more, only I would rather say dated instead of mediocre.

Have either of you ever used a T for any length of time? Have you read the praises of those who have including one of the UK's most experienced professional photographers? If you continue to denigrate the T (TL) system there'll likely be a lady with an inter-continental ballistic Billingham bag making her presence known to sort you out … again!   :)

dunk

• Like 3

Have either of you ever used a T for any length of time? Have you read the praises of those who have including one of the UK's most experienced professional photographers? If you continue to denigrate the T (TL) system there'll likely be a lady with an inter-continental ballistic Billingham bag making her presence known to sort you out … again! :)

dunk

I take it you've placed your order for the new TL then?

Have either of you ever used a T for any length of time? Have you read the praises of those who have including one of the UK's most experienced professional photographers? If you continue to denigrate the T (TL) system there'll likely be a lady with an inter-continental ballistic Billingham bag making her presence known to sort you out … again!   :)

dunk

Yes, I have, but I have also extensively used the Q and the SL and therefore I know how much better the T could be if only Leica wanted to...

And to me it is clear that at this moment in time the T is simply not a priority for Leica... and I find that frustrating...

Is it a good camera?  Yes, it is, but it could be so much better...

I take it you've placed your order for the new TL then?

James I and some other forum members are weary of having to read so many of your negative opinions of Leica digital cameras over the last few years. You have denigrated nearly all of them and even had the audacity to suggest that the SL would not appeal to professional photographers. Contrary to your assessment there are professional SL users and hirers including several who are Leica Forum members.  I look forward to the time when one day you might find something more positive to say about modern Leica cameras.

dunk 

• Like 1

PS … according to Dr Kauffman there are more future plans for the TL http://www.infofotografi.com/blog/2016/10/wawancara-dengan-dr-andreas-kauffman-dan-stefan-schulz-leica/   .. and he acknowledges the strength and versatility of the discontinued XV which he continues to use. 

dunk

If you already own a T and it's good enough, then it is good enough. If you don't own a T and the TL is still not good enough, look for a camera which fits the bill.

If you own a T then there isn’t much reason to upgrade to a TL, unless you absolutely need a titanium-anodised version with doubled internal memory. You can look forward to getting most of the worthwhile improvements of the TL by way of a firmware upgrade for the T. If you wanted to buy a T and were disappointed by it being discontinued, you can look forward to getting a TL.

• Like 4

James I and some other forum members are weary of having to read so many of your negative opinions of Leica digital cameras over the last few years. You have denigrated nearly all of them and even had the audacity to suggest that the SL would not appeal to professional photographers. Contrary to your assessment there are professional SL users and hirers including several who are Leica Forum members.  I look forward to the time when one day you might find something more positive to say about modern Leica cameras.

dunk

+1
  • Like 1