New Leica TL System announced

Advertisement (gone after registration)

the internal memory is useless..better to use high speed sd cards..then the speed is way faster.

I like the T system; it is so promising, but I use Leica X for now, because the image quality is practically same. 

Although I have expected more from the T/TL. Leica T and TL I have examined, behave strangely for their class and price, in critical moments when camera operation performance should not be questioned,

1. with internal memory used, camera freezes up after a shot for way too long. I find Leica X is faster. The process of writing down an image to memory / card should be a parallel process, or better worked out for a camera of that level and price. 

2. under some circumstances, with high iso, image preview becomes a slow-motion video; capturing the right moment is impossible. That is one of those situations when one cries for an optical viewfinder, and more speed in the camera. 

So the speed in basic operation / functionality seem to be a major issue with T; well, it shouldn't be. In photography speed of basic operation is essential. The burst rate, the AF speed, all that is not a issue and those limits I accept — but the operational speed of the camera should not be an issue.   

If Leica improves startup speed, writing speed (into a parallel process), and the speed of preview, it would be a camera one can rely on to capture desired images. Right now, X surpasses T/TL in that regard. Hope it will change with TL2.

the internal memory is useless..better to use high speed sd cards..then the speed is way faster.

Internal memory better be smaller, but much faster.

However, it's been 3 years now; internal memory feature is fine, but must be upped and vastly improved, especially now with 24MP images. They can't make the same mistake.

Internal memory better be smaller, but much faster.

However, it's been 3 years now; internal memory feature is fine, but must be upped and vastly improved, especially now with 24MP images. They can't make the same mistake.

I was wondering how fast the integrated memory was... I prefer to use SD cards because I like using the card slot on my Mac. Fast xfer rates. 

If Leica improves startup speed, writing speed (into a parallel process), and the speed of preview, it would be a camera one can rely on to capture desired images. Right now, X surpasses T/TL in that regard. Hope it will change with TL2.

Leica has the technology.  It is all already there in the SL and the Q.

If Leica is willing to put that in an APS-C camera it will be massively successful , even at a cost of $2,500 which would be 50-60% more expensive than the Fuji X-T2 (body only, not taking the cost of lenses into account).

If Leica cuts corners and delivers a sub-optimal product in fear of cannibalizing SL, Q or M sales it will fail miserably...

About the X-line of cameras the X-U is the only one still available.  I would be very surprised if we see any new X-cameras in the future.

• Like 3

For me it would make sense if a new X-cam would be announced. When the new TL2 use a new 24MP sensor it would fit perfectly. Along what one can hear another new Leica should be announced this autumn. I hope for that, and perfectly it would have a lens around 40mm.

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

Just like to say have loved the T from the start but a bit to expensive for me.

But last week I came across a used T first generation at Harrison Cameras in the UK (£1100.00) like new boxed with 18-56 lens boxed + boxed case.

Sold my other gear and jumped in.

Up dated to latest software and am very pleased with my purchase

Love the touch screen and everything works great and good for me as I am getting on in years ( so not the target purchaser that many reviews are saying )

So no fiddling with small nobs etc and everything so easy to see

So can only imagine how good the new TL is

Also strange as it is love the rubber strap.

• Like 5

New TL2 arrived today; I'm used to the original T so assumed could use the TL2 intuitively. However, panicked when discovered could not scroll through the menu … but then discovered there is a new GENERAL option in the MAIN menu … and selecting same accesses scrollable menu items including FORMAT … the required function to format my card before use.

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not sure to understand all the origins of this topic but I respond about what I read about the App issues.

I work in IT field and all I can say is that your issues with the App or the fact it is not working with some of your devices is not really surprising to me.

Leica is not an IT company nor an E-Commerce player so my guess is that Web Apps are not really in their culture as a company. Of course they are trying to follow the IT/Web wave by providing new App based services but they are not mature enough for this I think.

I would be surprised if such App or even their website is done internally too.

I understand your deception about not being able to use the service at its fullest but sometimes it takes time to improve.

Best

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can I just ask a simple question. Can the TL2 take the T lenses?

They're all called TL lenses regardless of whether they were originally marked as T lenses. And the TL2 can be used with SL lenses; and the SL can be used with TL lenses but only in its APS format.

dunk  

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure to understand all the origins of this topic but I respond about what I read about the App issues.

I work in IT field and all I can say is that your issues with the App or the fact it is not working with some of your devices is not really surprising to me.

Leica is not an IT company nor an E-Commerce player so my guess is that Web Apps are not really in their culture as a company. Of course they are trying to follow the IT/Web wave by providing new App based services but they are not mature enough for this I think.

I would be surprised if such App or even their website is done internally too.

I understand your deception about not being able to use the service at its fullest but sometimes it takes time to improve.

Best

I very much doubt that Leica made the app themselves. They tend to use outside expert firms for things like that.

• 1 month later...