New Leica TL System announced

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It could also be very well that Leica listens more to customers who use the equipment and share their experience a little less "loud" vs people who shout out how every Leica is a flawed luxury product.

In general I also wish Leica to communicate more often in the internet with their customers. On the other side I have had some good personal communication with Leica which shows me that they take their customers very serious. Also don't forget german mentality. We (I am german as well) do have good innovations, good technicians , a serious feel of responsibility for our jobs, but we are a little stubborn and not so great being open for critical comments.

Well said … gets my goat too … especially those Leica 'diplomats' (not)  who've seldom or never used the products they've so frequently criticised. And then there are the armchair camera designers …  :(

dunk

Hmmmmm. I get along with my two T cameras just fine. You know, they do what they do and haven't run into problems that bother me in the least. Maybe I am not as picky about technology, so my expectations are not so demanding of the T. After all, even at full price they are about a quarter that of an M. The T takes great photos for what it is.

I'm sure  the T makes excellent photos, your gallery is a prove of it!

And it must be a joy to use it. With only a small firmware improvement it would be perfect for my needs as well  :)

robert

PS: hopefully this thread will be more relaxed...

• Like 1

I'm sure the T makes excellent photos, your gallery is a prove of it!

And it must be a joy to use it. With only a small firmware improvement it would be perfect for my needs as well :)

robert

PS: hopefully this thread will be more relaxed...

Thanks Robert, and for compliment on my photo. To me, number one purpose of any camera is the photos. Leica did release the T prematurely, in terms of major firmware bugs, but has steadily improved to the point shouldn't be as much of an issue. Even my first T had to be replaced due to some problem, I don't know if was firmware or hardware, but the replacement came swiftly and everything was fine. But I guess I deserve a medal. Been a Leica fan for over twenty years from film to digital. If a camera takes excellent photos, I am a happy camper. All the extra features, gizmos, they are secondary. Maybe I feel that way because come from a film and totally manual camera background. Edited by billinghambaglady
  • Like 1

Floramobil: you say " I am not really intrested in android versions and nice phones.". As one phone works and the other doesn't, you might want to check android versions on your phones,

It is not that the App works on the other phone in terms of doing its service.

On one phone it is stuck in the process of detecting the camera, on the other phone you will detect the camera and even have lifeview, but the selection of exposure times and ISO does not function properly. In the experience of yet another forum member, the phone connects, but it does not show lifeview.

The issue is not even, having an app that does not work as it should. The issue is the apparent lack of functioning communications with Leica. Software development is about debugging, learning from the issues. In this case this means learning from customers.

My observation is that Leica don't act is if their customer base were a useful source of information. When coming back to the customer service here in Switzerland I am confronted with this deep belief in "factory specification". Either it is Leica and then it is perfect or it is not, seems to be the attitude.

Edited by floramobil

My observation is that Leica don't act is if their customer base were a useful source of information. When coming back to the customer service here in Switzerland I am confronted with this deep belief in "factory specification". Either it is Leica and then it is perfect or it is not, seems to be the attitude.

You have no idea what you are talking about, and unbased accusations. I, for one, was asked by Leica to test their firmware. I didn't even have any issues, but decide to decline in taking part. So, they do listen to their customers. And now that it comes out that you are making connections to your T, but you complain if it isn't perfect as if we should all pile on Leica on your behalf....is all too much. If they thought they were perfect, they wouldn't be coming out with firmware updates. This has turned into a ridiculous rant. Edited by billinghambaglady

You have no idea what you are talking about, and unbased accusations ...

I didn't even have any issues, but decide to decline in taking part.

This has turned into a ridiculous rant.

You made your point before. This camera fullfills all your needs. Your demands conform with factory specifications.

we should all pile on Leica on your behalf....

I never uttered anything that could be interpreted as such a request.

You have no idea what you are talking about, ...

So it seems.

Edited by floramobil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You made your point before. This camera fullfills all your needs. Your demands conform with factory specifications.

It fulfills all my needs for what I bought it for. For better photos, I have couple higher end cameras. Cameras are for taking photos. Not for being an IPhone. Leica getting into interfacing with Wifi is a very new thing for them. Why don't you give them some slack? And I have no 'demands' for a camera I already bought. It does what it is supposed to do.

• Like 1

It fulfills all my needs for what I bought it for. For better photos, I have couple higher end cameras. Cameras are for taking photos. Not for being an IPhone. Leica getting into interfacing with Wifi is a very new thing for them. Why don't you give them some slack? And I have no 'demands' for a camera I already bought. It does what it is supposed to do.

I don't give "slack"  for promises Leica made years ago. I don't need an iPhone extension in a camera. But I need remote control, plain, old fashioned remote control: Keep the camera on the tripod and not touch it when releasing the shutter. This is old times' photography technique from way back in the 1850es. Leica tripped their own self, when they began with their fancy advertising, telling the stunned world, that nowadays no modern age person attaches a wired remote release but uses an iPhone instead.

And I don't give slack for the failure to communicate properly or for the complete failure to accept, aknowledge and make use of user feed back.

Nowadays it is common to give Beta versions of firmware and of Android apps to the users. They are not declared as Beta, but in fact they are. A quick and adept user base can feed back observations and help improve the product. Typical turn around times when debugging software with the user base is between two days and two weeks.

A good example for such quick turnaround is Ed Hamrick of Vuescan. As an independant developer of image scanning software he found a small niche market and expanded it to a reliable long term buisness. He answers email requests within two days. Adds requested features within less than a week and hands it over for testing. This is what made him establish a honest relation with his customers and a large and satisfied user base. This is what Leica are wasting by ignoring their customers.

Leica extends their turn around times to a period between two months and two years. Leica T firmware is in advanced Beta. The TL Android App is so buggy, you can adress it as an alpha release at best.

Sorry no slack, after all that bold advertising of revolutionary user interface philosophies.

...And I don't give slack for the failure to communicate properly or for the complete failure to accept, aknowledge and make use of user feed back....

While I don't give slack to people who just invent things to say about others when they can not be arsed to find out whether there's any truth to them. 

I don't give "slack"  for promises Leica made years ago. I don't need an iPhone extension in a camera. But I need remote control, plain, old fashioned remote control: Keep the camera on the tripod and not touch it when releasing the shutter. This is old times' photography technique from way back in the 1850es. Leica tripped their own self, when they began with their fancy advertising, telling the stunned world, that nowadays no modern age person attaches a wired remote release but uses an iPhone instead.

And I don't give slack for the failure to communicate properly or for the complete failure to accept, aknowledge and make use of user feed back.

Nowadays it is common to give Beta versions of firmware and of Android apps to the users. They are not declared as Beta, but in fact they are. A quick and adept user base can feed back observations and help improve the product. Typical turn around times when debugging software with the user base is between two days and two weeks.

A good example for such quick turnaround is Ed Hamrick of Vuescan. As an independant developer of image scanning software he found a small niche market and expanded it to a reliable long term buisness. He answers email requests within two days. Adds requested features within less than a week and hands it over for testing. This is what made him establish a honest relation with his customers and a large and satisfied user base. This is what Leica are wasting by ignoring their customers.

Leica extends their turn around times to a period between two months and two years. Leica T firmware is in advanced Beta. The TL Android App is so buggy, you can adress it as an alpha release at best.

Sorry no slack, after all that bold advertising of revolutionary user interface philosophies.

There is a gadget available http://srb-photographic.co.uk/shutter-release-brackets-1463-c.asp

dunk 

• Like 2

Why don't you smooth out a little and restart this conversation now that we have more of an idea what your problem is, never mind the need to do some modification. One problem at a time.

First off, the remote shutter and other functions work fine on my devices. As someone suggested earlier, it might be your manufacturer of your Android phone. Could also be the version of Android, or phone. Who knows!!!!???? If you understood these things, is impossible for any firmware developer to test everything out there. Your broad generalizations don't hold water, in my book. If you want help, be specific and give real details instead of lobbing insults and having a tantrum.

• Like 2

I don't give "slack" for promises Leica made years ago. I don't need an iPhone extension in a camera. But I need remote control, plain, old fashioned remote control: Keep the camera on the tripod and not touch it when releasing the shutter. This is old times' photography technique from way back in the 1850es. Leica tripped their own self, when they began with their fancy advertising, telling the stunned world, that nowadays no modern age person attaches a wired remote release but uses an iPhone instead.

My second response, after researching the use of Android devices. Turns out, this is very recent with the TL. Not promised for "years" as you claim. When the T first came out, and it is still a new design, still states and only stated worked on Apple IOS devices, not Android. Now with the TL, looks like they made changes to incorporate Android devices, but since the TL is yet to be available......you think maybe they just might be working on the firmware a bit, eh???

Furthermore, this app which I believe is available thru Google, if you read the specifics, is supported for 4.4 versions or higher of the Android. You might want to check the versions you have, rather than complain it does not work with your T. Sometimes reading the info helps in sorting out issues. It does state the software should work on the T, but that isn't a promise made when you bought your T. It is a bonus hopefully with the TL, and hopefully is backward compatible with existing T cameras.

Your clearly are over the top on your criticism. I suggest you settle down, concentrate on the specifics without wild accusations, and maybe we can make some sense of it.

Edited by billinghambaglady
  • Like 1

Your clearly are over the top on your criticism. I suggest you settle down, concentrate on the specifics without wild accusations, and maybe we can make some sense of it.

I am not really intrested in your advice and what you think I should do or what not.

In addition my findings essentially are an offer to Leica and a critcism of Leica. None of it appears to be any of your concern, since as you stated earlier, you do not use modern techniques and you are satisfied with the camera as it is. If you do not want to contribute, then just don't bother.

So there is not really any contribution of interest that I expect from your side.

Edited by floramobil

Thank you for the hint. This would probably the kind of device I will manufacture on my own. It would be made of a 4mm extruded aluminum profile, 2.5cm wide and cut into a long ark. It would slide into the flash shoe, go over the top of the camera and have a hole with a thread for the wire release. However my next project will probably be realized with a Sony Alpha 6000. And from there on I doubt, I will return to Leica.

Thank you for the hint. This would probably the kind of device I will manufacture on my own. It would be made of a 4mm extruded aluminum profile, 2.5cm wide and cut into a long ark. It would slide into the flash shoe, go over the top of the camera and have a hole with a thread for the wire release. However my next project will probably be realized with a Sony Alpha 6000. And from there on I doubt, I will return to Leica.

Maybe take your ideas to a Sony forum :wacko: ?

dunk 

Already avaible for other Leica Models, I bought one and have had it modified for my T

I am not really intrested in your advice and what you think I should do or what not.

In addition my findings essentially are an offer to Leica and a critcism of Leica. None of it appears to be any of your concern, since as you stated earlier, you do not use modern techniques and you are satisfied with the camera as it is. If you do not want to contribute, then just don't bother.

So there is not really any contribution of interest that I expect from your side.

And, you are extremely rude. I took the effort to research your issues. Oh well. Pardon me for attempting to help. You clearly have no grasp of your own situation.

• Like 3

floramobil it is rare that I see such appalling responses when people like billinghambaglady and others have gone out of their way to help you.

I put it to you that you are a troll who enjoys nothing more than stirring people up.

If you don't like the camera then go and buy an alternative make, you knew when your bought it that it didn't support a proprietary cable release, so why did you still buy it when there was no machined attachment for the camera.

Instead of whingeing like an old woman, get rid of the camera, buy an alternative brand and join a forum who appeals to your taste and rudeness and forget all about Leica, full stop, I'm sure that Leica will not miss your patronage!

I have found in business that people with your outlook are so narrow minded that even when people try to help you that they are spurned and insulted.

Edited by Jkulin
  • Like 2