New Leica TL System announced

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This isn’t a new camera. Leica has relaunched the old one, added a letter to its name and slightly - very slightly - refreshed it.

I don’t object to a relaunch but I despise the deceitful gibberish that accompanies it. I got a message from Leica yesterday inviting me to “Express new facets of your personal style with a system camera that’s intensely different”. Who writes this hogwash?

I like the T. It works well for me. I’m in no rush to replace it but, if I’m spared, I will probably buy the genuinely new model when it appears, if it offers the kind of improved performance that I would find useful. In the meantime, the updated firmware and App are welcome, as is Leica’s evident commitment to the system.

+ 2

• Like 4

In a way, glad the new T isn't a new T, really. Getting a second T for a steal of price earlier turned out to be a great decision, converting my first one to infrared. Gobble those up! I don't own two because is a bad design. I have two because is a great design!. It's a fun camera that really performs with good glass. The T lives on!!!

Edited by billinghambaglady
  • Like 2

I read somewhere in this forum that the T was discontinued because of a trademark infringement issue back home in Germany. The TL might have been just a quick, tactical response to that unfortunate situation.

This seems plausible, since it is otherwise incomprehensible why Leica would have so abruptly discontinued the T and underwhelmed us so (many weeks later) with only a minimal update on the new TL.

I'm not complaining here, however. I am still loving my T. It suits my needs just fine - and more than that, it produces stunning images, to my eye, especially with the 35mm Summilux-TL. This combo produces (without fuss) images with rich, natural colors, great shadow details and micro contrast that look as good as when I use M glass.

The T and Leica's line of TL lenses seem to have cured my GAS for the moment. Hopefully version 1.6 firmware will bring the T similar autofocus and wifi improvements that we hear come with the TL.

I wonder what psychologists would make of us?

The song about happiness goes, 'It's not having what you want. It's wanting what you've got.' Yet here we are, the privileged few who own the most coveted kit in photography whinging not about things we can't afford or get access to But About Stuff That Doesn't Exist.

Personally I'm so pi&&ed off that Boeing and Vodafone haven't got their act together and given us Teleportation. It's been in the pipeline since Star Trek back in the 60s

For the time being I'm very happy with the looks, ease of use and performance of my T.

Cheers,

• Like 5

The only new T I found have still a price between 1500 /1600 EUR  even if discontinued :-(

robert

been watching them on Ebay, a T + 23mm Lens just sold for $1200, another is for sale for far less and a T+Zoom is at $499

Its a buyers market. Not sure why anyone would pay $1800 for a 3 year old design with a refreshed name.

Several T bodies have sold on FM for $600, and even Leica Miami just sold a body for $599.

So you can buy three T bodies for the price of the TL...hmmm.

Edited by digitalfx

Thanks digitalfx, in case I decide for a T I prefer to buy from a local shop where I have a relationship so they can hall me in case of problems (sensor cleaning for example) and also because I like to support them. But of course investigations on line and Ebay are worthwhile to be done.

robert

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am told that the newly announced "TL" was really not intended to be the launch of a revised camera, but was rather due to a lawsuit over a copyright issue concerning the use of the name "T" .  Hence, the renaming of the system to "TL".

Usual Leica product line revisions are in the 3+ year range, so expect more dramatic improvement of the TL down the line.

Rob

been watching them on Ebay, a T + 23mm Lens just sold for $1200, another is for sale for far less and a T+Zoom is at $499

Its a buyers market. Not sure why anyone would pay $1800 for a 3 year old design with a refreshed name.

Several T bodies have sold on FM for $600, and even Leica Miami just sold a body for $599.

So you can buy three T bodies for the price of the TL...hmmm.

That is true. But i also saw the T-bashers are still here. I like the camera as much as when i bought it. Perhaps more because i Keep on learning. Also i have to confes i have been able to expand my setup rather cheap due to its impopularity

• Like 3

I too am disappointed by the new TL.  My "go-to" camera is my Q but I'm looking for a smaller body with M adapter so that I can start using M lenses.  

The SL is just too much of a financial stretch and, having tried the M240, I am no longer a rangefinder guy.  The TL with an integrated EVF would be great.

On the horizon lies the Canon M5 (also APS-C) with its integrated EVF and adapters for M lenses and my EF lenses.  About $1,000.  Plus two adapters...

• 24.2MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
  • DIGIC 7 Image Processor
  • 2.36m-Dot EVF, Touch and Drag AF Control
  • 3.2" 1.62m-Dot Tilting Touchscreen LCD
  • Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 60 fps
  • Built-In Wi-Fi with NFC, Bluetooth
  • Dual Pixel CMOS AF
  • Up to 9 fps Shooting and ISO 25600
  • Digital IS 5-Axis Image Stabilization

I too am disappointed by the new TL.  My "go-to" camera is my Q but I'm looking for a smaller body with M adapter so that I can start using M lenses.  

The SL is just too much of a financial stretch and, having tried the M240, I am no longer a rangefinder guy.  The TL with an integrated EVF would be great.

On the horizon lies the Canon M5 (also APS-C) with its integrated EVF and adapters for M lenses and my EF lenses.  About $1,000.  Plus two adapters...

• 24.2MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
  • DIGIC 7 Image Processor
  • 2.36m-Dot EVF, Touch and Drag AF Control
  • 3.2" 1.62m-Dot Tilting Touchscreen LCD
  • Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 60 fps
  • Built-In Wi-Fi with NFC, Bluetooth
  • Dual Pixel CMOS AF
  • Up to 9 fps Shooting and ISO 25600
  • Digital IS 5-Axis Image Stabilization

I love my M lenses on the T. But, I would not look for a cropped camera just so I can use them if I didn't have an M. I would sell them. Get cheaper lenses for your Canon.

Having been using my film CL for the last few days, just to check all is well, before I take it on my trip to SE Asia tomorrow, makes me realise how much I would like a full frame CL sized digital rangefinder or RF/hybrid with M bayonet. Apart from having to compromise a bit on battery capacity, if you think how much Apple crams into an iPhone SE, surely electronics for a digital camera can be reduced in size from what started 10 years ago in the M8. I don't want a crop frame as I want to use my M lenses at their "natural" focal length. 

Wilson

I love my M lenses on the T. But, I would not look for a cropped camera just so I can use them if I didn't have an M. I would sell them. Get cheaper lenses for your Canon.

I agree - paying the premium for M lenses to use on a crop body is a waste of money. 

The Canon M5 is a far more advanced proposition than the T or TL and the Canon 22mm f2 is as good as any Leica equivalent and a fraction of the cost, as well as working on all modes on the Canon and AF. 

I agree - paying the premium for M lenses to use on a crop body is a waste of money. 

The Canon M5 is a far more advanced proposition than the T or TL and the Canon 22mm f2 is as good as any Leica equivalent and a fraction of the cost, as well as working on all modes on the Canon and AF. 

… for Canon lenses .

The T/TL camera system was designed from the outset to utilise M lens performance on a Leica crop sensor ICL camera - but for those who already have M lenses.    Primarily it was designed to use the excellent TL / SL lenses. 

Please read TL lens users' opinions especially those who have many, many, years experience of using diverse varieties of all types of lenses.  There are plenty of truly excellent TL lens images posted on the forum. 

And the Canon M system has not exactly achieved its sales targets. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Irgendwas muss ich falsch machen mit der T, bei mir funktioniert der AF und es kommen sogar scharfe Aufnahmen aus der Kamera.

Vielleicht ist mein Exemplar defekt?

Ich finde die Diskussion sehr übertrieben. Ja, der AF der T ist (deutlich) langsamer als der einer Oly EM1 oder einer Nikon D5.

Aber man wenn es nicht gerade Action oder schneller Sport ist, kann man damit ganz ordentlich fotografieren. Wer manuell fünfmal schneller fokusiert als mit dem AF der T, der maht entweder etwas falsch oder hat eine defekte Kamera. Oder hat vielleicht magische Kräfte beim manuell fokusieren.

• Like 4

… for Canon lenses .

The T/TL camera system was designed from the outset to utilise M lens performance on a Leica crop sensor ICL camera - but for those who already have M lenses.    Primarily it was designed to use the excellent TL / SL lenses. 

Please read TL lens users' opinions especially those who have many, many, years experience of using diverse varieties of all types of lenses.  There are plenty of truly excellent TL lens images posted on the forum. 

And the Canon M system has not exactly achieved its sales targets. 

dunk

Personally there is something about images taken with Canon lenses that just don't have the appeal to me, they just lack the power of a good Zeiss or Nikon lens

Personally there is something about images taken with Canon lenses that just don't have the appeal to me, they just lack the power of a good Zeiss or Nikon lens

Power?? What do you mean by 'power'? Actually there are good, not so good, and excellent lenses within each manufacturer's lens ranges. Canon make some really excellent optics and forum members use them when e.g. Leica do not provide the equivalent. But horses for courses … on the T/TL camera TL lenses are the better options within their focal length ranges. 

dunk

• Like 1

Power?? What do you mean by 'power'? Actually there are good, not so good, and excellent lenses within each manufacturer's lens ranges. Canon make some really excellent optics and forum members use them when e.g. Leica do not provide the equivalent. But horses for courses … on the T/TL camera TL lenses are the better options within their focal length ranges. 

dunk

Sorry I should have said impact, just my personal view and not backed up with anything scientific, I just don't find images taken with Canon lenses anywhere near as good as those taken with Zeiss or Nikon.

• Like 1

Sorry I should have said impact, just my personal view and not backed up with anything scientific, I just don't find images taken with Canon lenses anywhere near as good as those taken with Zeiss or Nikon.

I happen to agree. Had a Canon 5dmiii for awhile. Bought some Canon higher end lenses. Did nothing for me. Much preferred Zeiss or using Leica R glass on that camera. It may be they were fine, but I have just come to appreciate other glass.

Irgendwas muss ich falsch machen mit der T, bei mir funktioniert der AF und es kommen sogar scharfe Aufnahmen aus der Kamera.

Vielleicht ist mein Exemplar defekt?

Ich finde die Diskussion sehr übertrieben. Ja, der AF der T ist (deutlich) langsamer als der einer Oly EM1 oder einer Nikon D5.

Aber man wenn es nicht gerade Action oder schneller Sport ist, kann man damit ganz ordentlich fotografieren. Wer manuell fünfmal schneller fokusiert als mit dem AF der T, der maht entweder etwas falsch oder hat eine defekte Kamera. Oder hat vielleicht magische Kräfte beim manuell fokusieren.

Hi Tom,

I find my autofocus very accurate (set right in the centre - why do people want hundreds of AF points, 1 in the middle is all I can cope with) and much faster than I would be manually. If you think your T is missing focus I'd ask your Leica dealer to check that out for you.

Yes, forum opinions are very extreme and people exaggerate to make their point, often rather foolishly, but that's all part of the fun.

Cheers,

• Like 3

Hi Tom,

I find my autofocus very accurate (set right in the centre - why do people want hundreds of AF points, 1 in the middle is all I can cope with) and much faster than I would be manually. If you think your T is missing focus I'd ask your Leica dealer to check that out for you.

Yes, forum opinions are very extreme and people exaggerate to make their point, often rather foolishly, but that's all part of the fun.

Cheers,

Sorry for posting german. I think you missnderstood my post. I posten that my AF does work fine and I dont understand all the complains.