Show us some Mandler Magic

Artin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

35mm f/1.4 Pre-Aspheric Summilux-M (Mandler) on M9. Dog walker from today.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

My favorite Mandler lens is just the v4 cron:

32357547876_b72a1eb3b7_b.jpg

L1056632 by US Alpine Championships, on Flickr

Tiny, fantastic closeup WO, and incredible for landscape stopped down or WO:

27828853983_8dc7fccfc4_b.jpg

High Bank by unoh7, on Flickr

Mine is uncoded of course, but since it's almost always with me I can easily verify, the rest of my landscape stuff is coded :)

I bought a 135/2.8 just because I saw a nice one at a good price. Though I have the APO, the 2.8 has turned into my most used 135:

30988000865_1ed7911890_b.jpg

At River Run by unoh7, on Flickr

It hit 9/10 shots in this event WO on the M9. I could not do that with APO at any aperture. It is more variable in focus.

Edited by uhoh7
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Damn! Why did I open this thread? I am trying to par down what lenses (down to 4, 3 of them Mandler) I'm taking with me in anticipation of getting an M10 (Paris CDG makes you take out cameras and lenses, along with your laptop, iPad, and kindle and it's a pita)... Had just narrowed it down and now I see  those 21mm Elmarit pre-asph shots (thanks JMF!) and am tempted to bring it along as well.

It's a lens I bought as a package when I got my R-D1 and I never loved it, thought it was too big and too boring for what it was, etc, so I put it away... Now I'm thinking I just didn't know how or when to shoot with it. Think I may have to take it for beach walks on Maui  :blink:

I just used this as an example on another thread, but it works here too.

90 Summicron-M (compact 1980 version) - Teacher at work

• Like 6

Interestingly my Leica Pocket Book 1980 shows an E49 Elmarit (p. 59) with a similar barrel to the v1 28mm Elmarit (p. 61). It actually looks to be the 28mm in both images going from the DoF scale, so maybe there were no 21mm's yet to photograph in early 1980?

Of course there is no mention of an E60 version in 1980...

That's always been a bit of a mystery - my guess is Leica prototyped the 21 in 49mm, and then found out there was too much chance of vignetting with a filter mounted, or something similar, so added the 60mm "bell" on the front. But had already photographed the prototype for use in the brochure and Pocket Book.

The 60mm "bell" has always had the look of an afterthought - seems to be a separate piece of metal, held in place with set-screws, at least in earlier versions. And note the gap around the front element, between the engraved ring and the glass mounting. I always wondered whether, if one took off that separate outer ring/bell, there would be a compact (but incomplete) "49mm" version hidden underneath.

I've never seen even a picture of the E49 version, outside of Leica's own publications right at introduction. Let alone a real copy (which I would have snagged if possible, not for the rarity value, but for the compact size!)

Edited by adan
  • Like 2

BTW - since it came up on another thread - the compact 90mm Summicron of the same design era as the 21 non-ASPH also originally came out with a 49mm filter thread. I expect ELC really, really, really wanted to make 49mm the standard for the step-up from 39mm and 43mm (50 Summilux). But then the 75 Summilux came out and there was no way that could be squeezed in 49mm - so ELC gave up and changed the 21 before actual production, and the 90 (to e55) a year or so after production started.

Leitz/Leica was thrashing around a bit at the time (1975-80) - M5, CL, dropped both, quit making Ms at all, restarted the M line in Canada, bringing out lenses and then revising the cosmetics a year later (50 summicron: no focus tab, then "tiger-claw" focus tab, then half-moon focus tab - all within a couple of years).

• Like 4

Sol, Madrid.

M Monochrom, Summicron-M 35 (IV), ISO 320, 1/180@f8

• Like 3

Summilux-M 75 with M240

• Like 4

Some M240/Lux 75 love... Nothing special about the composition, except it's my favourite person in this world, so that makes the picture the best ever, obviously.

• Like 9

35mm summilux pre-asps

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Merely a test with newly acquired 75/1.4 shot with M10.... but I do love this lens already.

• Like 6