Show us some Mandler Magic

Artin

I will say that Mandler lenses have a "LOOK" that defines a period in time.

Are they sharper or contrastier than today's designs......not necessarily, but the Mandler look is one that people still like today and it certainly has been very influential in 35mm photography.

I suspect there will always be a market for Mandler lenses - they are NOT considered old poor performing lenses.

Lens performance includes more than just resolution.

Wonderful lenses for Monochrom B&W shooting.

Edited by 4X5B&W
  • Like 4

Herr Mandler was a Canadian, just like you :)

btw. what happened? You don't have a drawer-full of his lenses anymore?

Could it be it's: love-love-love-love-hate-love-love... for you?

Or is it just the cold and the snow?

Cheer up :) !

I do, drawer full and loving it. Which makes me realize what the magic is really about: they all fit into one drawer!!

• Like 1

So I used Nikkor AIs lenses on a Nikon FE, FE2 and F3/T for 25 years.  Then, in 2010 I bought an M9 and 1.4/35 Summilux ASPH.  After seeing the first set of photographs with the 35 Summilux I sold all my Nikon gear. No comparison.

Sold my Nikon FE as soon as I could upgrade to their F line. All gone long ago.

But I got a FE2 and a FM3a recently practically only for the R-1.4/80 with Leitax because for me focussing works better than my only R-Summilux on Canon with an EOS-adapter.

I like my 21 Elmarit pre asph a lot , did not know the 21 E60 Asph version was a Mandler design.

Its a lens I would really like to try. I have an old 3.4 Super-Angulon and the 21SEM which are absolutely chalk and cheese - not even the same focal length! The 21 Elmarit pre-Asph should sit halfway which would be very interesting.

I like my 21 Elmarit pre asph a lot , did not know the 21 E60 Asph version was a Mandler design.

E60 (11134) is the pre-asph version. It's indeed a Mandler design but not the E55 asph version (11135) which was launched in 1997 if memory serves after Walter Mandler retired in the eighties. 

E60 (11134) is the pre-asph version. It's indeed a Mandler design but not the E55 asph version (11135) which was launched in 1997 if memory serves after Walter Mandler retired in the eighties.

So, who is this after-Mandler dude and when should we start glorifying him?

E60 (11134) is the pre-asph version. It's indeed a Mandler design but not the E55 asph version (11135) which was launched in 1997 if memory serves after Walter Mandler retired in the eighties. 

So this link is not listing correctly its designers and should be corrected :

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/21mm_f/2.8_Elmarit_M

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Mandler

Edited by JMF

Sorry JMF but where do you see a contradiction with what i said?

I am pleased to discover that one of my favorite lenses was designed by Walter Mandler, thanks to your post .

Merely saying that this "LUF" link is not fully correct :

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/21mm_f/2.8_Elmarit_M

Edited by JMF

Hard to follow you sorry but you said above "did not know the 21 E60 Asph version was a Mandler design". All i stated is the 21/2.8 asph is not an E60 but E55 lens and is indeed not a Mandler design for the simple reason that Walter Mandler was retired when the lens was launched in 1997. Are we in agreement on this?

Edited by lct

Actually lct, you did write the it's a Mandler design. You may have left out the "not"  ;)

(highlighted by me)

• Like 1