Artin

Show us some Mandler Magic

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For all of the subtle beauty of a Summilux, or the crisp drawing of the Elmars and Elmarits, this is still the Mandler Magic that sucked me into Leica - clarity of color combined with control of contrast

Whites that seem to go on forever, yet with open shadows. The lenses leave no tones or colors behind.

"Pinks and greens, reds and cyans, living together! Old Testament stuff!" - apologies to Dr. Peter Venkman (Bill Murray) in Ghostbusters.

28 Elmarit v.4 (M10)

10 hours ago, adan said:

Sorry - typo - above is 28mm Elmarit v.3

Yeah, I could see that from the picture.

Not. :lol:

Not my Mandler at least 😋
Hard to recognize a Mandler if stopped down so much

Edited by otto.f

8 hours ago, lct said:

:D and now Mandler or not?

Well, it doesn't look like what I expect, and hope for, from Mandler M lenses of the era 1980-1987. On a Leica M sensor.

Too red/magenta/purple overall (see woman's "gray" hair peeping over the necklaces, all the shadows, and the yellowish geranium leaves); a bit hot in contrast. I.E. looks too much like Kyocera/Contax or Nikkors, or recent ASPH/APO renderings.

But the variables of sensors and post-processing are such that it could be a Mandler, using Adobe's (or some other 3rd-party) camera calibration profile and auto white balancing, which I always avoid (gaaah!). Or other processing choices. Or of course on a Sony, or for that matter the M240.

I leave my Adobe Camera Raw "Basic" settings at zero, and my WB preset at 5000°K, no tint, and use the Embedded Leica M10 profile, and let the lenses show off their native character and ability.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, adan said:

Too red/magenta/purple overall (see woman's "gray" hair peeping over the necklaces, all the shadows, and the yellowish geranium leaves)

Well honestly i don't see that but perhaps i'm becoming color blind...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   1 member

• Similar Content

• By TheGodParticle/Hari
      Most of us seem to be photographers as well as collectors.
      Show me your favorite lenses, old and new alike.
      I like the Noctilux range for the extreme apertures, but I prefer the Summilux range for the best speed:size/weight ratio.
      Here’s a Summilux gathering of 21, 24, 28, 35, 50 and 75mm. All in black. 

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By mikeamosau
      Hi!

I've been smitten by images I have seen online made by the 75mm Summilux and have recently found one in mint condition for a decent price. Before I decide to sneak another lens into my house... does anyone have any thoughts, reviews, comments or experience they can share with this lens? Love it? Hate it? Any quirks? Any examples of photos you have taken with it to push me over the edge?

Thanks so much!
      Mike
    • By wojtek_87
      Very first try with a rangefinder - the MP 240 + 35 summilux
    • By wojtek_87
      Very first try with a rangefinder - the MP 240 + 35 summilux
    • By mbphotox
      Some time ago I started a blog (www.mbphotox.wordpress.com) about adapted 50mm lenses on my Canon DSLR. A Leica 50 was on my wishlist for half a year and when I finally went out to buy one, I came home with an Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8 because the Cron had been picked up by another guy right before I arrived at the store.

A few months later, I found a great offer online and bought an Elmarit-R 28mm and finally also the Summicron-R 50mm I had been looking for.

Having three lenses, I figured "why not get back into shooting film?", and so I started looking for a suitable Leica R body.

The SL2 was not an option since all my lenses are R-only, and the R6 was simply too damn expensive. R3 to R5 it was..

I stumbled upon this expensive offer that had been online for weeks, by a guy who wanted to sell his pristine Summicron-R 90mm together with a near-mint Leica R5...

I ended up talking him down by 20% and bought the package
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!  
      Loaded a roll of Superia 200 last night and am looking forward to the results.

Here are some pics (more can be found on the blog)

The baseplate shows slight signs of wear, the brass shines through at some areas, but other than that it's perfect.

My lenses, without the 90mm, I've still got to take pictures of that one. But it only arrived 2 days ago.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Read more about our Privacy Policy