Show us some Mandler Magic

Artin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 minutes ago, newnew said:

Roses in wineyards, against Jura background.

MP 240 with Summicron 50 V 4 canada

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Wonderful colors and bokeh!

6 hours ago, evikne said:

A picture I took with my new copy the other day. I love to shoot fully open to bring out the gorgeous Mandler bokeh, but sometimes I stop down a little too. 

M10 with 35 Summicron IV

Exactly! It is lovely wide open. It is lovely slightly stopped down. It always yields character quite different and special, ah the green and blues while I also love it's B&Ws. Small.  Goes easily along anywhere.  Okay, guess it stays. In all honesty, so far and despite 'fits' of must-sell moments,  I have only sold one Leica lens out of...embarrassing to say.  😁  Regards.

This is Summilux 50 version 2 from 1964 full open

• Like 13

Living and dying

M10-P, Noctilux-M 1:1/50, v4

Patty Frank Photography

• Like 13

SL, Lux 75.

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Promised IV

M10-P, Summicron-M 1:2/50, v4

Patty Frank Photography

Edited by pattyfrank
  • Like 8

M10M, 90mm Elmarit (1998)

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 4

OTOH, Erwin Puts (Lens Compendium, p. 173) credits the 90 Elmarit to "the Wetzlar designers (who) computed the 2.8/90 for the R again, and created the best 2.8/90mm ever in the Leica history (R or M)." His compact reference appendix also credits the design to ELW(etzlar). Op. cit. p. 219

Keep in mind that Leitz did run two separate lens design offices, until the "reunification" in Solms in the later 1980s. And they were offices or tallers - multiple designers working under the direction of a chief. Thus "Mandler era" does not automatically mean "Mandler-designed."

It's my experience that the Leica Wiki is poorly curated and somewhat error-prone. And that there is a lot of "copy/paste" on the Internet in general when it comes to things like who designed which lenses - which leads to false mythologies perpetuated by sites with no authoritative knowledge.

There are aspects to the Elmarit-R/M (1981/1991) imaging which are noticably different from the 1980 lens generation known to be Mandler/Canada designs, in color palette, contrast/clarity, and to some extent bokeh.

But the lens layouts are rather similar: 3 or 4 elements in front of the aperture, and one behind (that also applies to other Leica teles - 135 and 180 f/2.8s).

Split the second element of the EM into a cemented pair and one gets a rough approximation of the late Mandler non-APO 90 R/Ms (and for that matter the 90mm Summarits). If one assumes they also use the same glass types, not just similar shapes.

Puts also points out that the absence of any UV-blocking cementing in the Elmarit R/M was partly responsible for its different color correction: "As the 4-element lens has no cemented surfaces, Absorban cannot be used to control color transmission and it has to be accomplished with several types of coating layers." op. cit. p. 174

So for me this is a question for which there is no authoritative answer.

Edited by adan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, adan said:

There are aspects to the Elmarit-R/M (1981/1991) imaging which are noticably different from the 1980 lens generation known to be Mandler/Canada designs, in color palette, contrast/clarity, and to some extent bokeh.

That is my feeling too. The 90 Elmarit‘s contrast is not exactly my image of a Mandler lens. 

A couple of images I took yesterday. Both taken with M10 and 50mm Summilux pre-ASPH (E46):

• Like 5

• Like 4

Chiaroscuro with neck sweat blockers from a restaurant in Montpellier, France

Leica M-P, 50mm Summicron

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, otto.f said:

That is my feeling too. The 90 Elmarit‘s contrast is not exactly my image of a Mandler lens. 

I am not an authority on who designed Leica lenses but every source I've been able to find online supports the contention that the 90 Elmarit M is a Mandler design. I also just checked with my longtime friend, Don Goldberg (DAG), who agrees that it is. I have sent an inquiry to my contact at Leica AG in Wetzlar and will let you know if I hear anything that contradicts this. There must be a definitive answer somewhere.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fotografr said:

I am not an authority on who designed Leica lenses but every source I've been able to find online supports the contention that the 90 Elmarit M is a Mandler design. I also just checked with my longtime friend, Don Goldberg (DAG), who agrees that it is. I have sent an inquiry to my contact at Leica AG in Wetzlar and will let you know if I hear anything that contradicts this. There must be a definitive answer somewhere.

Seems like Mr Mandler agrees with you ;).

• Thanks 2

Lately I’ve been a little in doubt about my Summilux 50/1.4 (3rd) too, because it was launched in 1994 whilst Walter Mandler retired in 1985. Someone else must have been involved in the last redesign, but I’ve never been able to figure out who.

So it was reassuring to see it on Dr. Mandler’s own list. 😊

Maybe innovations in glass or coatings but with Mandler’s design and calculations. It was the decade when SchneiderKreuznach came up with the MC coating.

Edited by otto.f

The teenage son's bedroom, M-E 220 + Summicron 4 35mm

• Like 6