Show us some Mandler Magic

Artin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

35mm Summicron-R v. 2 (E55) at f/2 . . . 

There is a characteristic to much of Leica's R glass in the late '70's to late '80's that I can see clearly with my eyes, but to which I cannot put an aptly descriptive word or phrase . . .

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

80mm  Summilux-R @f/1.6 . . .

• Like 1

In my opinion no but it makes up for it with some of the best micro contrast I’ve ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So as far as newer Mandler 50mm lenses go, I guess I should look for a mid-2000s Noctilux if I want glowy portraits but sharp stopped down images? Or maybe a Summilux Asph will suffice (not a mandler lens though).

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So as far as newer Mandler 50mm lenses go, I guess I should look for a mid-2000s Noctilux if I want glowy portraits but sharp stopped down images? Or maybe a Summilux Asph will suffice (not a mandler lens though).

Definitely not the 50/1.4 Summilux-M asph if you want 'glowy' - it's far too flare-resistant, as is the f/1 Noctilux in my experience.

I have a pre-asph 50/1.4 Summilux-M, which, for portraits of ladies of a certain age, is more 'forgiving' but offers a beautifully subtle glow, good acutance and contrast* and superb colours.

*I prefer using the terms "acutance" and "contrast" to sharpness because they are quantifiable but "sharpness" isn't.

Pete.

• Like 3

Does the Summicron v5 have the Mandler glow?

If "glow" means halos around highlights, definitely no, but very few Mandler lenses show that. As far as my lenses as concerned i have only one like that, the Summilux 35/1.4 pre-asph. Otherwise the Summicron 50/2 v5 is a typical Mandler lens indeed. It has the same optical formula as that of the 50/2 v4 and its IQ is almost the same with more resistance to flare due to different coatings presumably. 

• Like 1

Here are two I got today at Sloss Furnace Nat Historic Site (Birmingham, Alabama) with M246 and 75 Lux (probably at about 5.6), with yellow filter:

Old wooden foundry molds

an apparent photo setup

• Like 10

glow as in veiling flair, like the Summilux 75mm

I don't know what "glow" means aside from halos around highlights and i don't see that effect out of my 75/1.4 v3 nor 50/2 v5 personally. None produces veiling flare when strong light sources are into the frame, only when they are outside the frame and then using a longer hood, a hand or a hat to make some more shade is generally enough to fix the issue. Better use an EVF then as flare can be difficult to anticipate with a rangefinder.  

80mm Summilux-R @f/2.8, cropped very slightly, shot from the only place I could get a clear shot, a moving escalator . . . 

Japanese idol girl group Akishibu Project . . . 

• Like 1

Does the Summicron v5 have the Mandler glow?

@ ƒ/2? I beg to differ. Very subtle but it's there. I had a series of head shots all B&W, and you can see it at cropped edges where it meets a background, if near-black. Not an undesirable effect at times.\

Edited by james.liam

"Glow" is Spherical Aberration. It usually shows in fast aperture lenses that do not have aspherical elements. The pre-aspherical Summilux 35 has a ton wide open. Any 50mm 1.4 double Gauss spherical design lens will have it. The Leica 50mm Summilux ASPH does not. That is why so many of the older designs like the 75/80 Summilux or the 50mm 1.5 Sonnars are said to have a "dual personality" - soft and glowy wide open and sharp stopped down. The new design Leica lenses are designed to be sharp wide open, not glowy.

• Like 1

With the Zeiss, I wonder if it may be more of a function of focus optimized for ƒ/2.8 (speculation re: 2/50 as this phenomenon is observed in the 1,5/50 and 2/35). Zeiss will adjust the focus of the Sonnar for 1,5 so the image does sharpen up somewhat, mitigating the perceived softness.

Edited by james.liam

Not sure if optimization for f/1.5 changes spherical aberration. My ZM 50/1.5 is optimized at f/1.5 and shows a bit of "glow" in the sense of halos around highlights at full aperture, but less so than my Summilux 35/1.4 v2. Both work fine together in low light though.

• Like 1

Not sure if optimization for f/1.5 changes spherical aberration. My ZM 50/1.5 is optimized at f/1.5 and shows a bit of "glow" in the sense of halos around highlights at full aperture, but less so than my Summilux 35/1.4 v2. Both work fine together in low light though.

I don't think it does either but the Nikon 50/1.2 is a good example. Loads of SA up to ƒ/2 (more than any modern Leica) but when you actually hit focus at ƒ/1.2, the image has a high level of resolution beneath the haze, that appears to diminish the impression of 'unsharpness' and 'glow'. Draws the eye into the detail. Adjusting the Zeiss for f/1,5 helps in this regard. Don't believe the Biogon 2/35 can be tweaked in this way for a RF.

Edited by james.liam