Show us some Mandler Magic

Artin

The 180 Apo Telyt was designed and built in Midland for the US Military.

Later it was made available to the general pubic as a production lens.

It out resolved any available film at the time, I was told by a Midland representative at the time that wide open it resolved 300 lines/mm at the centre.

Yes it was designed for infinity use from aircraft for surveillance activities.

However while it may not be the best lens for macro applications, for general shooting it is hard to beat, especially at the prices it sells for today.

Being very compact is an added bonus.

Mine is going nowhere!!

Please dont write anymore appraisal,because I am looking into buying it again! Write everything good after I bought.

I love the colour , the warmth , that you can't get on any other lens but mandler gems

Is this a scientific assertion?

I would post two images, one from a "mandler gem" and one from a "plastic fantastic" 50mm f1.8 nikkor and I'm sure 50% of the people would pick the plastic-fantastic as the mandler masterpiece.

Just like that. Because I've seen it happen.

• Like 3

some more of the 75 magic

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17

Is this a scientific assertion?

I would post two images, one from a "mandler gem" and one from a "plastic fantastic" 50mm f1.8 nikkor and I'm sure 50% of the people would pick the plastic-fantastic as the mandler masterpiece.

Just like that. Because I've seen it happen.

:)

But the Nikkor 1.8 has the same beautiful veiling flare and less sharp corners so it's hard to tell the difference. Come to think of it, I think Mandler designed it while on a stopover in Japan. :D

Quite amusing bringing this lens into discussion.  I have a good copy of Nikkor 50mm f1.8 E series, i got it circa 2010 second hand for £10 in a proper photo shop (London Camera Exchange), less than i paid for cheapest filter.  It is a decent performer but it is not Summilux 75mm, as a minimum there is difference in FL. 

Quite amusing bringing this lens into discussion. I have a good copy of Nikkor 50mm f1.8 E series, i got it circa 2010 second hand for £10 in a proper photo shop (London Camera Exchange), less than i paid for cheapest filter. It is a decent performer but it is not Summilux 75mm, as a minimum there is difference in FL.

I was refering to a plastic 50 1.8 AF which can also be had for 10$. A lot of people would have a very hard time discerning it from a "mandler gem", which is really a myth that has started and which I have witnessed in the past few years.

I am a Leica nerd and geek but I firmly stop at the "magical" bs. Not only would people have a hard time differenciating a 501.8af nikkor from a "mandler magical 50mm lens" but they'd also gave a hard time differenciating 50 from 75 focal length by looking at pictures alone.

Leica is about a lot of things, not about optical magic. There's that same optical magic even in yashicas abd in McCurry's nikon work.

As a matter of fact, a vast majority of the greatest and most magical images from the 60's until the 2010's have been shot with Nikkors.

Saying that the color and warmth of mandler lenses aren't equalled by any other lens on earth really irks me the wrong way. Even a 12$ minolta 28 mc is magical. Minolta's only problem is it wasn't a german company, which, when you think about it, is extremely absurd.

Edited by NB23
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was refering to a plastic 50 1.8 AF which can also be had for 10$.

Can you post a link? I'm in broad agreement with you on lenses although I would say that Mandler's designs were often ''state-of-the-art' when they went into production - but then so were many other designs. Given the glass/production cost constraints, I think Mandler created some superb lenses and should be remembered for his designs. So should other excellent designers. 

And FWIW I took one of my all time favourite images on a borrowed, damaged 28mm f/3.5 Nikkor (the prong had been broken off due to impact), a lens which hasn't received the best of reviews. It appears to be easier than ever to lose sight of the fact that its the image produced which is most important of all.

All that said, this is the Leica forum so I see no problem in a thread about Mandler Magic either ;)  :) .

• Like 2

another 75...sold the Noct, so thats my only mandler at the moment   :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

I was refering to a plastic 50 1.8 AF which can also be had for 10$. A lot of people would have a very hard time discerning it from a "mandler gem", which is really a myth that has started and which I have witnessed in the past few years.

I am a Leica nerd and geek but I firmly stop at the "magical" bs. Not only would people have a hard time differenciating a 501.8af nikkor from a "mandler magical 50mm lens" but they'd also gave a hard time differenciating 50 from 75 focal length by looking at pictures alone.

Leica is about a lot of things, not about optical magic. There's that same optical magic even in yashicas abd in McCurry's nikon work.

As a matter of fact, a vast majority of the greatest and most magical images from the 60's until the 2010's have been shot with Nikkors.

Saying that the color and warmth of mandler lenses aren't equalled by any other lens on earth really irks me the wrong way. Even a 12$ minolta 28 mc is magical. Minolta's only problem is it wasn't a german company, which, when you think about it, is extremely absurd.

NB23, When Artin expressed his feelings about Mandler lenses,I think I would agree with him partly that there is nothing wrong in appriciating what he has become familiar with,and rightly or wrongly he can make statements. I spent a lot of money over the years mainly to buy Leica lenses(believing to be "better") and because of lots of money involved,I hesitate to accept that there is a lense better than mine--like for like. 

Peter Karbe is also a very capable man.

And those working at Zeiss,Nikon,Canon,Sony and not forgettong less known Mitakon etc are ensuring to present their products as best as they can.

Most importantly,its the output that matters.

But we can always become poetic about objects we love.

Edited by Lord Lucan
  • Like 3

[•••] I am a Leica nerd and geek but I firmly stop at the "magical" bs. Not only would people have a hard time differenciating a 501.8af nikkor from a "mandler magical 50mm lens" [...]

Too easy. Ugly bokeh but sharp lens otherwise.

• Like 1

[•••] I am a Leica nerd and geek but I firmly stop at the "magical" bs. Not only would people have a hard time differenciating a 501.8af nikkor from a "mandler magical 50mm lens" [...]

Too easy. Ugly bokeh but sharp lens otherwise.

Minolta's only problem is it wasn't a german company, which, when you think about it, is extremely absurd.

Herr Mandler was a Canadian, just like you :)

btw. what happened? You don't have a drawer-full of his lenses anymore?

Could it be it's: love-love-love-love-hate-love-love... for you?

Or is it just the cold and the snow?

Cheer up :) !

Nikon 35mm 1.4 compare to 35 summilux pre asph wide open Not even close

So I used Nikkor AIs lenses on a Nikon FE, FE2 and F3/T for 25 years.  Then, in 2010 I bought an M9 and 1.4/35 Summilux ASPH.  After seeing the first set of photographs with the 35 Summilux I sold all my Nikon gear. No comparison.

• Like 3

So I used Nikkor AIs lenses on a Nikon FE, FE2 and F3/T for 25 years.  Then, in 2010 I bought an M9 and 1.4/35 Summilux ASPH.  After seeing the first set of photographs with the 35 Summilux I sold all my Nikon gear. No comparison.

Much as I like my Leica lenses, no manufacturer really produces 'poor' lenses these days because they can't sell them! To the 'educated eye' differences in rendition are visible and sometimes a specific lens has such obvious characteristics (35mm pre-aspheric Summilux wide open) that its signature is very characteristic. But lets be quite honest, such appreciation is among a very small proportion of image viewers and the vast, vast majority, even if they are image savvy, are probably far more interested in the subject to analyse the lens used for the image or even be interested if they knew which it was. I use Canon and Leica (and Nikon-ish) and all lenses have characteristics which can be appreciated or not depending on the viewer. I'm not so sure that I could be so radical in condemnation of other manufacturer's lenses myself.

I will have to dig out more Mandler lens shots though - often I can differentiate them from Karbe and Canon lenses ....

• Like 1