Coffee and camera: Open thread

Robert M Poole

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And the bags to make this possible, coffee in the large and the camera in the small one inside the big one.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ted99
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Robert,

Yes.

It's the dinosaur of filter coffee makers. It makes good coffee.

Currently, I use a Mellitta plastic (Yikes.) top part (Like the top of a Chemex.) that you can either put over a coffee pot or just over a cup.

No inconvenient hour glass to wash out. Just a less inconvenient top of an hour glass.

It uses regular cone filters & makes as good or better coffee (If you like strong coffee.) than some other more complex varieties of coffee makers.

It makes coffee that is so good that it almost as good as making coffee in a pot of boiling water. Which is the somewhat technologically simpler predecessor to the hard to clean plunger.

The Chemex/Mellitta is less work & less work cleaning up than the better tasting boiled water in a pot coffee.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

​My wife's M6TTL (Dragon), shot with my M6TTL, on Tri-X

• Like 7

Hello Robert,

Yes.

It's the dinosaur of filter coffee makers. It makes good coffee.

Currently, I use a Mellitta plastic (Yikes.) top part (Like the top of a Chemex.) that you can either put over a coffee pot or just over a cup.

No inconvenient hour glass to wash out. Just a less inconvenient top of an hour glass.

It uses regular cone filters & makes as good or better coffee (If you like strong coffee.) than some other more complex varieties of coffee makers.

It makes coffee that is so good that it almost as good as making coffee in a pot of boiling water. Which is the somewhat technologically simpler predecessor to the hard to clean plunger.

The Chemex/Mellitta is less work & less work cleaning up than the better tasting boiled water in a pot coffee.

Best Regards,

Michael

I have a Hario V60, which looks similar to your Mellitta and gives excellent results. I hadn't considered the issue of cleaning but apparently the Chemex can be placed in the dishwasher so I migh try that (though I do find things sometimes get damaged in there so I'll have to think on this)

I've bought it just to own another coffee gadget to be honest, it is a design classic though. Even the packaging is very well designed.

• Like 1

​My wife's M6TTL (Dragon), shot with my M6TTL, on Tri-X

attachicon.gifcoffee.jpg

...I love the machine ....and the M6...

here's mine...sorry, without camera...

ArcaSwiss 4x5' - Fomapan100

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...ok, I have another one, with my M4....it was an accident...

• Like 5

I have a Hario V60, which looks similar to your Mellitta and gives excellent results. I hadn't considered the issue of cleaning but apparently the Chemex can be placed in the dishwasher so I migh try that (though I do find things sometimes get damaged in there so I'll have to think on this)

I've bought it just to own another coffee gadget to be honest, it is a design classic though. Even the packaging is very well designed.

EmptyName%207_zpsmvm4jjgn.jpg

I happen to have the Chemex in two different sizes and love them both. In fact I prefer them to most of my other coffee paraphernalia. It's also what I use most.

• Like 3

"Breakfast was Bond's favourite meal of the day. When he was stationed in London it was always the same. It consisted of very strong coffee, from De Bry in New Oxford Street, brewed in an American Chemex, of which he drank two large cups, black and without sugar." - Ian Fleming, Chapter 11, From Russia, With Love

www.robertpoolephotography.com

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

GIANT coffee with my M10. It makes the camera look like a key chain ornament!

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd include a photo of the Chemex, black coffee and Leica IIIb. Taken with a Leica M9 & Noctilux @ ~f/2.8

36274510491_1bcb974cf2_c.jpg

Very nice! Don't forget the Villeroy and Boch new wave espresso set complete with biccys! I'm getting the hang of my Chemex, love the design and the coffee tastes ok too! Now I just need a second Leica to put in the picture so I can recreate yours...

• Like 1

I thought I'd include a photo of the Chemex, black coffee and Leica IIIb. Taken with a Leica M9 & Noctilux @ ~f/2.8

Very nice! Don't forget the Villeroy and Boch new wave espresso set complete with biccys! I'm getting the hang of my Chemex, love the design and the coffee tastes ok too! Now I just need a second Leica to put in the picture so I can recreate yours...

• Like 2

I thought I'd include a photo of our Chemex, some black coffee and my Leica IIIb. The Chemex's shape makes it easy to bring to the garden for serving. 

Taken with a Leica M9 & Noctilux @ ~f/2.8

Hello Dan,

That is interesting.

Back in the old days when an M4 was the state of the art, Chemex coffee pots came with the same wooden center but the top & bottom were a 1 piece hour glass where you had to remove the coffee grounds in the cone shaped paper filter before you could pour yourself a cup of coffee.

It also only had a small lip/spout at the very top of the hour glass.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

Hello Dan,

That is interesting.

Back in the old days when an M4 was the state of the art, Chemex coffee pots came with the same wooden center but the top & bottom were a 1 piece hour glass where you had to remove the coffee grounds in the cone shaped paper filter before you could pour yourself a cup of coffee.

It also only had a small lip/spout at the very top of the hour glass.

Best Regards,

Michael

You are correct about those details still being the same. The filtered coffee needs to be removed before pouring, the wooden piece just has a leather strap around it and the spout is there pointing towards the coffee cup in this image. Perhaps the glass was shaped more rounded like an hour glass back then. I believe this one pictured is the American import made in 2016. It's a bit like Vespas and Leica Ms that retain a classic beauty.

• Like 2