Leica Q new user - few questions and doubts to resolve

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello my Leica friends!

I'm new to this community and I am totally new user to mirrorless camera systems. For past 10 years I've been shooting weddings with Nikon system and now I decided to try something new.

I have no one around with mirrorless camera and definetly no one around with Leica Q so I decided to ask few question in here. Hope to get answears that my head simply wants to hear :-)

Question 1 - when Q is on I can hear some kind of constant but very quiet noise inside all the time. It sounds little like a power flow or something similar - little constant buzzing. It is barely hearable but if I put my ear to the camera I can hear it. If I sit in room without any noise I can hear Q working even in stand by mode. Very quiet but still I can hear it. When OIS is ON this noise is much louder (I guess that's pretty obvious) but when OIS is OFF it's still there but much quieter like there is still some system working. Can anyone confirm that everyone elses Q does same?

Question 2 - I know this might sound silly for you but there is second type of sound I hear/feel in this camera. This time it's connected to AF system. When camera is ON and I gently move around like changing target I want to shoot but I don't touch shutter release button - I can feel camera AF motor makes a little move like it is measuring new place I am pointing at. When camera is in standby mode (no EVF, no LCD) the AF buzzy feel dissappears. When AF is set to manual (with lens ring) it dissappears as well. Same yours?

Just wondering if this constanst systems working in background affects battery. It's new to me because my all my cameras (Nikon 2 x D750, D700, D90, D80) they are/were perfectly silent when power ON (when no AF involved). Here I hear and that's what makes my worry - hopefully it's normal.

Please don't be mad at me. I'm not new to the photography and I think I'm not "checking everything" guy instead of "making pictures" guy. I just spend lots of money on this camera and I simply want to make sure my camera is same as yours - not faulty :)

Still in love with Q.

Mike

Well you've certainly got me checking mine Mike! These old ears of mine aren't as good as they could be, and with over fifty years of motorcycling  :wacko:

Yes, mine makes the noise you mention ... can't normally hear it, haven't heard it, but if I place my ear against the lens cap, touching it, it's certainly whirring away in there!! Just the same wether in manual or auto focus, a little louder with OIS switched on.

I've had it twelve months now, it has worked impeccably and been totally reliable. Battery life is very good .... 

.... so relax and enjoy using it  :)

• Like 1

Well you've certainly got me checking mine Mike! These old ears of mine aren't as good as they could be, and with over fifty years of motorcycling  :wacko:

Yes, mine makes the noise you mention ... can't normally hear it, haven't heard it, but if I place my ear against the lens cap, touching it, it's certainly whirring away in there!! Just the same wether in manual or auto focus, a little louder with OIS switched on.

I've had it twelve months now, it has worked impeccably and been totally reliable. Battery life is very good .... 

.... so relax and enjoy using it  :)

Micky - that's what I want to hear.

Now feeling much better.

FYI

I've spoken with Leica guy (sales manager) and he gave me answear to my question no. 2 - inside camera there is motor which keeps camera focusing system ready (without lens use) even if you are not pressing shutter release button. It's like getting ready to shoot before you press button. I think that's why Leica AF system is so fast.

So now I have peace of mind and I can enjoy shooting :)

Thanks

Regarding the noise while focusing (the 2nd in your question) have you got it in continuous autofocus mode rather than single? This happened to me when I first got mine and it took me a while to work out why it wasn't working the way I had expected it to!

Regarding the noise while focusing (the 2nd in your question) have you got it in continuous autofocus mode rather than single? This happened to me when I first got mine and it took me a while to work out why it wasn't working the way I had expected it to!

Nope. I mean AF sound without focusing - while camera is ON but not taking photo :)