No more Lightroom download.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You can still get the Lightroom download but you will probably have to call Leica customer service to talk you through the procedure. I got mine back in March and it was a serious pain.

The policy changed for Leica cameras shipped after April 1, 2016.....90 day CC trial only.  You barely made it.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Since LR6 will not get the same updates as CC does, I would just go with the subscription model.

The CC for Photographers is only  $/€ 10 a month. You get all the updates and photoshop on top. I think that's a fair price. 

• Like 1

^ What? They're handicapping/leaving perpetual users behind?

If that's true, it's time to start looking elsewhere for alternatives.. 10€/$ per month is prohibitive in the long term for amateurs. Previously you bought it once for 79€ & be done with it. Now you'd pay almost double every year. No way, Jose!

Especially since I have no use or interest in Photoshop mammoth..

This is ridiculous. First Apple killed Aperture and now Adobe is taking a piss on people.. I understand their business reasons very well and this probably more than fine for professionals, but not ok for average home users.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

^ What? They're handicapping/leaving perpetual users behind?

Yep, this started with LR6.  Perpetual (standalone) users receive minor updates, e.g., camera/lens profiles, bug fixes, etc, but major features (dehaze tool, local clarity adjustments, etc) will only come with perpetual LR 7.....that is, if there even is a standalone option at that point.  

I won't be surprised if the next version is CC only, which really is a decent deal at 10 bucks (for LR and Photoshop combined), but Adobe has a not so funny way of transitioning customers.  We saw  similar treatment when upgrading from standalone LR5 to LR6....one had to jump through hoops to find how to receive the discounted upgrade, which in prior versions was triggered with a simple automatic screen prompt.  The goal was apparently to hide the choice or make it so frustrating to change that the user caved in to the CC model.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

• 3 weeks later...

You can still get the Lightroom download but you will probably have to call Leica customer service to talk you through the procedure. I got mine back in March and it was a serious pain.

I contacted Leica Customer Services in UK and was told that all cameras produced before April came with Lightroom and all those produced after came with 90 day trial. They said that Leica cant do anything about this because it was a decision made by Adobe. I did mention the fact that the camera was advertised with Lightroom and not with 90 day trial and was told that there was nothing they could do. I was advised to purchase the Lightroom software from Amazon or online retailers if I wanted it. To buy a £3.5k product and then to be told that the company will not honour their advertisement is a bit disappointing. Does anyone know the contact details for the Leica HQ in Germany please?

I contacted Leica Customer Services in UK and was told that all cameras produced before April came with Lightroom and all those produced after came with 90 day trial. They said that Leica cant do anything about this because it was a decision made by Adobe. I did mention the fact that the camera was advertised with Lightroom and not with 90 day trial and was told that there was nothing they could do. I was advised to purchase the Lightroom software from Amazon or online retailers if I wanted it. To buy a £3.5k product and then to be told that the company will not honour their advertisement is a bit disappointing. Does anyone know the contact details for the Leica HQ in Germany please?

Try this link for Solms contacts:

https://en.leica-camera.com/Contact?country=18004&category%5B%5D=Photography

• Like 1

Yes, the free download of LR was good. 

I don't see why Leica should promote the Adobe Cloud. Nothing in it for Leica uses, getting a free trial. When you are done with the 90 days you'll have to find a way to downgrade to just Lightroom subscription instead of continuing at the suggested package and price. 

It's more productive to start finding a cheap subscription before you get tangled into the 90 days trial. The Adobe subscriptions are around in many price levels. Especially if you start changing your country settings to another country. 

• Like 2

Try CaptureOne ! 

Capture One raw conversion renders cleaner crisper images with some simple presets during import, than LR in my opinion, without the annoyance of trying to rope one in to LR's  cloud .

Capture One offers a 1 month free trial, a bit of a learning curve, however ample videos to get you going.

• Like 3

I was using Lightroom long before I returned to using Leica cameras, so I've never actually used the Lightroom keys supplied with my Leica digitals. For my work, I've not found much if any difference between what Lightroom produces and what Capture One produces, and I find using Capture One to be a heck of a lot more complicated.

I also, however, am annoyed that LR and all the other Adobe suite products that are useful are going to a subscription-only basis. I don't need, or want, updates and new features so frequently, and I barely ever even use Photoshop anymore. That $10/month is great for a LR+PS user, and is expensive for a LR-only user. 

Since I have no plan to buy any new cameras for the foreseeable future, I'll get along with LR 6.7 as long as I can get away with it, and hope for a perpetual LR 7 license. If that doesn't materialize, I'll consider other options.

I did get LR6.0 with a Leica purchase but can't upgrade it (this aspect discussed elsewhere on the forum). And in any case I went back to LR5 which seemed to open more quickly on my iMac. Only significant difference was that LR6 automatically ejected card after files downloaded from card reader – WOW!!! You might like to try the free Nik Collection via Google and link it to LR4. But I found that system too complicated and only use the SilverEfex conversion (which I had purchased separately some years ago).

Edited by microview
  • Like 1

I did get LR6.0 with a Leica purchase but can't upgrade it (this aspect discussed elsewhere on the forum). And in any case I went back to LR5 which seemed to open more quickly on my iMac. Only significant difference was that LR6 automatically ejected card after files downloaded from card reader – WOW!!! You might like to try the free Nik Collection via Google and link it to LR4. But I found that system too complicated and only use the SilverEfex conversion (which I had purchased separately some years ago).

There is/was a LR 6.6. update you could download and use to update the 6.0. And since they have made a 6.7 that is not a separate download but simply puts youn onto the Lightroom CC 2015/7 version.

It's always very painful to find the LR updates; they always direct you to the Adobe Creative Cloud subscription. 

I have a guide here under How to update Lightroom 6 or Lightroom CC

http://www.overgaard.dk/Leica-Q-Hemingway-digital-rangefinder-.html

Unfortunately, using Adobe Application Manager prompts you to download the Creative Cloud before you can use the Adobe Application Manager to upgrade of LR.
  • Like 1