New to film, got an M3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's the home processing, with the issues already mentioned, plus the need to scan to digital that's making me hesitate. But once purchased the MP would last a lifetime, if not longer, with very low depreciation, unlike digital.

Look for the positives Steve. You can pick up a Leica film camera relatively cheaply, the film can be C41 processed b&w and a film scanner is not that expensive - and negatives last for ever! I shoot a lot on digital because of what I do, but I just LOVE my film work and have negatives which I am still scanning back into the 1960's.

Gerry

• Like 1

Depends what prescription you need. There are Leica-M correction lenses that fit them all the way back to an M3 - so no glasses (or on the forehead) when you look through the magic M3 view&range-finder and seeing everything into the corners, too.

I forget what the M3 viewfinder is like, but if you refer to the metal ring around it you may find that a Nikon one will fit.

Gerry

Gerry, I am happy to use these for some of my M Leicas. The piece is compliant so eyeglass users can push against it to have a good view with no intruding side light, no damage to our eyeglasses.

I hope this helps.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Annnnnnnddddd I bought another M3 :D Almost two years, Ive finished my MSc and I found a good one at a good price. It was a good thing I didnt sell my summicron. I have a quick question: The vulcanite is peeling off. It has some rust I think. Is there any place in UK that replaces it? 

3 hours ago, sanadsaad said:

Annnnnnnddddd I bought another M3 :D Almost two years, Ive finished my MSc and I found a good one at a good price. It was a good thing I didnt sell my summicron. I have a quick question: The vulcanite is peeling off. It has some rust I think. Is there any place in UK that replaces it? 

Glad you were able to come back into the fold. Go to the Collectors & Historica forum down the page there is a camera repairers sticky at the top and it lists a variety of persons who are in the UK and can do it. However you can easily and inexpensively replace the vulcanite yourself with a kit from Aki-asahi http://www.aki-asahi.com/store/,