AEL and Manual Focus Assist

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Posting this here as I have not found any mention of this issue anywhere.

I've found that mapping the Zoom-Lock button as AEL (and using it as such) disables my manual focusing aids (mag and peaking). This is an issue for me since what I usually do is Exposure lock - Recompose - Focus.

Currently, it is irritating but the Q works OK with this procedure when set to AF (Hold down AEL - Recompose - Half-press shutter for AF), but when using MF this happens: Hold down AEL - Recompose - Turn focusing ring for MF, focusing is fine but the magnification and peaking is missing!

Pressing the AEL button while manual focusing kicks you back into the standard EVF view with no magnification or peaking (the focusing still works however)

The camera remains in AFs mode if you hold down the AEL button before disengaging the AF catch on the focusing tab - this effectively disables the MF from working (no focusing even when the ring is rotated). One must pull the camera out of AF before using the AEL button.

I'm thinking the Zoom/lock button is somehow still linked to the AF even though it's configured to be only AEL by the user.

Can anyone confirm this behaviour?

Edited by nitevision