Leica Q, Auto iso, outdoor fill in flash

Ianalex

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just learning my new Lieca q camera. I am using the SF26 flash for outdoor fill at -2stops.

I am using aperture priority at F8,auto iso range to 3200asa.  If I expose without the flash the exposure is 8ooasa at F8,its a dull day in the uk! I get a perfect exposure.

When I use the SF26 as fill in at -2stops,to remove dark eyes,the camera switches to 100asa in auto iso and the photo is grossly under exposed.

If I manually adjust the iso to 800asa I have the perfect fillin flash photo. Do I accept that outdoor fill in with the SF26 flash does not work in auto iso.

Am I missing something here, please help.

congrats to your new camera and good luck with your first experiments!

Using flashlight is bound to certain rules. Set the flash on TTL means that the flash metering is being done through the lens. Therefore the paramters are bound to  100 ISO and a speed beween 1/60 -1/250. Then it is no fill-in flash but exposed to flashlight only. The results are as odd as you described them.

But you have all other options. Using a fill-in flash means you have to use manual mode on your camera or  select a speed synchronized with the flash and try out first the normal daylight conditions and then adapt the flashlight variations from minus to plus. It takes a little time but you will soon get a feeling how it works.

Then you should also try to find out whether you set the flash at the beginning or the end of the shutter. Ff you want the backlight of the car as stripes you select the end of the shutterspeed.

Many thanks Iduna for you input.

I have had a play with the camera today and found out if I set the iso to 200asa manually, aperture priority,apertures range from F2.8 to F9, 1/60 min shutter speed,Flash -3 stops,the SF26 fills in ok in bright daylight.   I do know as light levels fall I will have to increase the ISO manually.

I have found that my camera over exposes by 2/3 stop in daylight and in the sun this blows highlights making the fill flash even more harsh. I have just dialed in -2/3 stop exp compensation overall.

I pixel peep in Lightroom 6 and have to say the lens and sensor quality is fantastic,even at 3200 ISO value.

Many thanks Iduna for you input.

I have had a play with the camera today and found out if I set the iso to 200asa manually, aperture priority,apertures range from F2.8 to F9, 1/60 min shutter speed,Flash -3 stops,the SF26 fills in ok in bright daylight.   I do know as light levels fall I will have to increase the ISO manually.

I have found that my camera over exposes by 2/3 stop in daylight and in the sun this blows highlights making the fill flash even more harsh. I have just dialed in -2/3 stop exp compensation overall.

I pixel peep in Lightroom 6 and have to say the lens and sensor quality is fantastic,even at 3200 ISO value.

this is good news that you are getting familiar with the features of the Q. I myself went today out into our garden to get proof that it is like that. What I also found is that setting the flash on M this functions often better to serve a better fill-in result. Also try to bounce the flash against something which may cast a good light indirectly on your subject. To avoid harsh light this is a good means of use the small diffusor cap or those integrated reflectors which can be flipped up. I'll post a few samples tomorrow.

Why does your camera overexpose? Be sure to have set the wheel on 0 or go to the menue and check the setting there. There should be no overexposure.

Yes, you are right, the sensor is awesome and 3200 ISO is no problem. I you don't need texture in the shadows you can even shoot with 6400 or even more if you oly want to get the lights right.

Have fun with this great camera!

• 3 years later...

There is also a way to do fill-flash in auto / TTL: set the flash mode to (S) in the camera.  This mode is designed for fill and to expose the background correctly and fill in flash on the subject.  However, it still has the very annoying drawback of setting the Auto ISO to 100 and can then result in choosing very very slow shutter speeds if available light is not good.  This would work well outdoors in decent light, or in poor light with a tripod and subjects that do not move.  Optionally, you may override the ISO setting to allow for higher shutter speeds, but unlike (M) flash mode, in (S) mode as in (A) mode, the flash may then not always fire.  It is a mode worth experimenting with.

I find the best results by going full manual on the camera to get the exposure, depth of field, etc. correct for the shot, and then turning on the flash on the M setting and dialing in the amount of fill I need - takes a little longer, but works reliably.  The Auto ISO is the big problem and  makes automatic flash not work well in most settings I encounter.  It would be nice to be able to set an Auto ISO minimum for flash.