NYC Snow Blizzard Photographs

A miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Get ready folks.  It's about that time...  :wub:

Portra 400, M7, 28 elmait pre-asph

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

Thanks, Gerry.

I have many many more :)

Portra 400

• Like 16

Thanks, Gerry.

I have many many more :)

Portra 400

I remember your pictures from the last NYC blizzard earlier in the year. I remembered so well I thought of them when it began to snow heavily again last week and wondered if you'd be out again shooting. I'm glad you have been !

Sent from my EVA-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I remember your pictures from the last NYC blizzard earlier in the year. I remembered so well I thought of them when it began to snow heavily again last week and wondered if you'd be out again shooting. I'm glad you have been !

Thanks for remembering!!  I hope you weathered the storm ok and have since thawed out.  Sending some your way from last week now....!

From last week in New York City.....on film!!!!

Portra 400

M7, 28 elmarit pre asph

• Like 13

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Portra 400

M7, 28 elmarit pre asph

I am pretty sure I saw this elsewhere (Facebook?) and loved it. I got rid of my M7 to put the money to a M240 which I needed as my M9 is STILL with Leica. I have again been looking for a M7 (or even a M6) and I am astonished how much the prices have increased, which I suspect is due to resurgence of interest in film.

Keep shooting, I love your work blizzard work although I don't envy you the blizzards!

Gerry

Portra 400

M7, 28 elmarit pre asph

And the M7 and Elmarit seem weather all that snow ok!

Another virtue of film is that you don't get the battery problems I did trying to use an M9 in 10 degrees F. Its puny batteries just die after a few shots at that temperature. Those using M240's may have fared better.

• Like 2

Another virtue of film is that you don't get the battery problems I did trying to use an M9 in 10 degrees F. Its puny batteries just die after a few shots at that temperature. Those using M240's may have fared better.

And then snow is falling changing batteries is no pleasure. Especially in my Leica TTL flash, which is using two AAA. This flash only lasted fifteen minutes and even fresh batteries made no difference. But M-E needed only one spare battery under 10F during one hour... :) 

• Like 2

And then snow is falling changing batteries is no pleasure. Especially in my Leica TTL flash, which is using two AAA. This flash only lasted fifteen minutes and even fresh batteries made no difference. But M-E needed only one spare battery under 10F during one hour... :)

I probably have been lucky (and knock on wood) but I haven't had to change the batteries in my M7 or flash for 3-4 years and I use them in subfreezing temps quite often in the winter. 

• Like 2

You are the man, Adam. I will leave this statement to cover all you have posted otherwise I'll run out of thanks!

Damn, I wish you were available when I was a news photo editor.

Thanks, Pico.   :)

Here's one for you.  Not sure where this lovely couple was headed, but I'm sure it was a necessary errand.....last day of the tomato sale at the supermarket, perhaps?  :D

• Like 7

Portra 400

• Like 8

Adam these just get better and better the worser and worser the conditions. I note that "Adam " is a partial anagram of "Madman" and who else but would venture out in such conditions - just to take pictures!

Of course you could also look at it that the world is infinitely richer that someone with incredible talent and "chutzpah" (I believe that's the word) has the zeal and audacity to thumb their nose at the conditions and get out and show the rest of us what life is like on the streets at such challenging times. These photographs will surely live on for years and years as examples of just what it meant back in our halcyon age to face up to the worst that  the weather in a magnificent and madcap city can dish out.

I'm so glad and proud to have one of these wonderful pictures on my wall.

• Like 2

Adam -

Terrific series.  the last one, woman with umbrella makes me think of the guy near Times Square who angrily pushed your camera against your face.  He was lucky that you have an easy, tolerant manner -- You could have easily flattened him.

• Like 1

Adam these just get better and better the worser and worser the conditions. I note that "Adam " is a partial anagram of "Madman" and who else but would venture out in such conditions - just to take pictures!

Of course you could also look at it that the world is infinitely richer that someone with incredible talent and "chutzpah" (I believe that's the word) has the zeal and audacity to thumb their nose at the conditions and get out and show the rest of us what life is like on the streets at such challenging times. These photographs will surely live on for years and years as examples of just what it meant back in our halcyon age to face up to the worst that  the weather in a magnificent and madcap city can dish out.

I'm so glad and proud to have one of these wonderful pictures on my wall.

Sincere thanks, Phil.  Yes, without crazy people the I suppose that the world would be a little less interesting :)    It's "pathetic" on a whole new level  :D   But it is shamefully fun :)

• Like 1

Adam -

Terrific series.  the last one, woman with umbrella makes me think of the guy near Times Square who angrily pushed your camera against your face.  He was lucky that you have an easy, tolerant manner -- You could have easily flattened him.

Ha ha, good memory, Stuart.  This particular lady was actually angry at the weather, motoring through it and cursing all the way down the street.

You brought up a great memory, though, of this guy that we encountered one summer morning in Times Square.  A total "hit and run"  - I felt so violated!  :lol:  : 

• Like 4