new skin for my leica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

so, my first leica ever and I am already messing it up :)))

I got this M3 produced in 1955. just a few weeks ago and it was doing well not doing much in a leather pouch in someones basement. Started shooting with it and fell in love like a girl. Shortly after pulling the camera out of that leather pouch and carrying it around unprotected the vulcanite started to fall apart... Didn't have time to wait for new skin as I am going to the states in two weeks (i live in Croatia) so I just re skinned it myself...

few pics...

you can see the cracked vulcanite here...

14566255_10154682991554443_4341104250777

Scraped it down... after that comes the removal of old glue...

14889921_10154687398619443_9303922840602

and the temporary new skin... I used this leather for my girlfriends tobacco pouch so now they match... not really sure why I did that... she won't be using this camera :)))

14570707_10154687398959443_7254896997708

I wouldn't do this for someone else, I just needed to fix it in a hurry... a lot of small mistakes but here it is...

14884702_10154687568259443_4491813734549

cheers,

S

• Like 11

Well - it will not be hard for the camera to be noticed. Good job - necessity is the mother of invention :)

I've got to admit that I like the brighter colors of leather on old Leicas.  If you've got to replace crumbling Vulcanite, you may as well show that the covering is new.  Yours looks nice.

Scott

Thanx guys :)

I am glad no one is screaming sacrilege :)))

cheers,

s

I imagine it's like repainting a classic car.  The premium is on originality, but if the original finish is degraded too much, the choice comes down to repainting with the original color or not.  Some car snobs sneer at any color that isn't original, but still sneer if the color is original but the paint is a modern formulation that's "too shiny."  If the original color was ugly (not saying that original Vulcanite is ugly, and my M3 still has its original Vulcanite) why not pick a color that is agreeable?  Same goes for cameras. 

I just wonder if anyone with an old M3 will ever try a wood veneer?  It was an OEM option on some Canon rangefinders.  I've also seen red and blue leather covers on M3's, and they look quite snappy.  I saw a dark green alligator cover on an old Nikon F that looked pretty sharp too.

Scott

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Actually with the right leather and dye from a place like Tandy, you could do a pretty good job of color matching a strap. If you aren't into leatherworking though, it might be worthwhile to have one of their employees help you do the matching.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have no idea why falling vulcanite has to be fixed in a hurry.

No entry will be granted to USA if M3 has vulcanite missing? I went here and where with M4-2 shedding vulcanite for few years.

Can't see pictures in OP.  Was it due to unique color choice? http://www.aki-asahi.com/store/ not expensive, I had their regular skin on M4-2 now.

On 11/26/2016 at 11:36 PM, kivis said:

If I ever have to reskin, I will go with Griptac. I have it in my Nikon F and it is lovely.

http://www.cameraleather.com/

Is this guy still in business? Issues with him were reported few years ago and last time I checked, site was half-dead.

"Lovely" seems to have personal variations. I had his griptac on IIf. By my choice. It was nothing lovely and kind of tacky. 

Griptac on Leica it is like tires with off-road pattern on mini, IMO. :)

But I hear you, F with zoom on it and flash, good grip is needed. I'm glad I have external grip with flash bracket to hold Nilkon rig like this.