Construction NYC - Q

sblitz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica Q . . . construction by Grand Central Terminal in NYC. What is great about this is open view that has been closed since the 1920s and when the new tower is put in will be closed again for another 100 years or so ...

You mean they change buildings every 100 years?

Only in NY and only when a zoning change allowed 70+ story buildings to now be built around Grand Central. This building will be the city's 3 rd tallest when completed. This view will be completely obliterated and eventually they all will. 

More accurately, technology has made most office buildings built before 1980 obsolete and those before 1990 close to that. Some of the iconic buildings from the 20s, 30s, 40s, survive with different types of tenants and, if possible, convert to apartment buildings. All the tall buildings around the NYSE (corner of Wall and Broad St) are converting. The offices have long shifted towards the Hudson River.

Nothing to do with the photo except for the reason why I took it.

Very nice.  One of my colleagues has a window on the 24th floor overlooking this site.  When the demolition was nearly complete I took a photo from there and sent it, along with a photo of a very messy colleague's office to the messy colleague, asking him to ID which one was his office.