Is the "T2" meant to put an end to Leica's X line of cameras?

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, pr1uk said:

Looks nice and would look even better with a viewfinder added, unless you are someone who likes to hold the camera out just like using a phone screen. Bet the viewfinders cost the earth too

TL has no buttons, I have EVF, but I cannot help but using it with back and forth between the EVF and the back screen.

In the end I get used to it without EVF except when I need its as a 90degree angle finder.

Wish I had that sort of money my pension would not even buy a secondhand T by the time I add a viewfinder and a lens, way out of my range. I just cannot take photos without a viwfinder lucky enough the brightline viewfinder for the X1 is great. Unless I win the lottery I will stick with what I understand and love using the old X1. 

Edited by pr1uk
  • Like 3

On 10/11/2020 at 2:20 PM, pr1uk said:

Wish I had that sort of money my pension would not even buy a secondhand T by the time I add a viewfinder and a lens, way out of my range. I just cannot take photos without a viwfinder lucky enough the brightline viewfinder for the X1 is great. Unless I win the lottery I will stick with what I understand and love using the old X1. 

A few times in the past I almost pulled the trigger on a "cheap" T body, but then I remember that adding the EVF and one L-mount prime lens will add like $2000 more, so I forgot about it LOL 

I agree with you rivi1969 once you add an EVF and glass the T camera is well out of my range, and jaapv and why do we need an EVF it's because to a lot of us it's the only way to use a camera. To me holding a camera up and using a screen well just as well use your phone. 

We are all different and I would not have bought the X1 if it had not come with the bright line viewer I think the X1 as become a classic, but if Leica had added a viewfinder even more would have sold IMO

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jaapv said:

Size. The idea was to make a digital camera similar to the Leica 1. And EVFs were not that good back then. 

Yes but they could have let Panasonic make their models and Leica could have made real Leica Cameras with viewfinders. 

4 minutes ago, pr1uk said:

I could understand Panasonic making cameras without a viewfinder, yet never really understood why Leica did.

Because technology moves on and a screen is more versatile than an EVF. 

Give me a screen or an EVF but I don’t need both - it’s just superfluous clutter. However, the popularity of the CL vs the TL2 demonstrates that I am in the minority with this view. 

You’re quite dismissive of the T but have you actually tried it?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Reggie said:

Give me a screen or an EVF but I don’t need both - it’s just superfluous clutter. However, the popularity of the CL vs the TL2 demonstrates that I am in the minority with this view. 

Tried one well I could afford a used one but as said time you add a EVR and lens it's way out of my price range, so no I have never even held one.

49 minutes ago, Reggie said:

I find my TL (without EVF) complements my CL very nicely. The TL with the 18 mm is very practical in domestic situations and for snapshots. When photography gets more "serious" I prefer the CL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Millions, possibly billions of happy users out there take photos without an EVF. A small number are also good photographers. You can't blame Leica for making a model that has the same M.O. as a smartphone.  

Oh but I can, Panasonic I understand but Leica no

Edited by pr1uk

1 hour ago, pr1uk said:

Yes but they could have let Panasonic make their models and Leica could have made real Leica Cameras with viewfinders. 

Not sure if the T is a "real Leica camera" but it has been polished by hand in Germany at least :D. More seriously, Leica makes cameras with viewfinders as well. If you like APS-C cameras, the digital CL is excellent. More expensive than early T's for sure but there is no free lunch...

https://www.themethodcase.com/leica-the-most-boring-ad-ever-made/#

20 minutes ago, lct said:

Not sure if the T is a "real Leica camera" but it has been polished by hand in Germany at least :D. More seriously, Leica makes cameras with viewfinders as well. If you like APS-C cameras, the digital CL is excellent. More expensive than early T's for sure but there is no free lunch...

https://www.themethodcase.com/leica-the-most-boring-ad-ever-made/#

Is the CL a real Leica or a hand polished Panasonic ?

Never thought of that before i.e Panasonic just fidled with in Germany maybe the only real Leica is the M series. Would never rule out the CL if funds were available

2 hours ago, pr1uk said:

Is the CL a real Leica or a hand polished Panasonic ?

Never thought of that before i.e Panasonic just fidled with in Germany maybe the only real Leica is the M series. Would never rule out the CL if funds were available

Not sure what a hand polished Panasonic may look like but i have nothing against Panasonic personally. I have one (Lx100) which works very well. Now the digital CL is made in Germany and feels as sturdy and well made as my Ms but i would not swear that it has zero part from Panasonic or another Asian maker.