Is the "T2" meant to put an end to Leica's X line of cameras?

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From my perspective, the soon to be "T2"  makes the continued development of the X line completely unnecessary.

The X Vario and D Lux 109 is effectively duplicated by the T and the 18-56; the X2, XE, and X typ 113 is supplanted by the T and 23 mm.

An 18-200 zoom would also be able to supplant the V Lux 114.

I would suspect that the "T2" is going to have a built in EVF, more megapixels, and a superior auto focus system. Leica has already shown us the roadmap with the Q, so we have a glimpse as to what is probable.  

The T line should be able to be 'everything for everyone' on the prosumer level, and it makes no sense to continue the X line. An ala carte type of menu and choices.

(Perhaps, even, the touch screen will become more of a hybrid system so that the T2 has more cross appeal to the old X users). 

Anyhow, that's how I would think Leica is approaching its product development.  

Aus meiner Sicht zu sein, die bald "T2" macht die Weiterentwicklung der X-Linie völlig unnötig.

Der X-Vario und D Lux 109 wird durch die T und dem 18-56 effektiv dupliziert; die X2, XE und X typ 113 wird durch die T und 23 mm verdrängte.

Ein 18-200 Zoom wäre in der Lage, auch die V Lux 114 ersetzen.

Ich würde vermuten, dass die "T2" ein in EVF, mehr Megapixel und einem überlegenen Autofokus-System aufgebaut haben wird. Leica hat uns bereits die Roadmap mit dem Q gezeigt, so haben wir einen kleinen Einblick, was wahrscheinlich ist.  

Die T-Linie sollte in der Lage sein, "alles für alle" auf der Prosumer-Ebene zu sein, und es macht keinen Sinn, die X-Linie fortzusetzen. Ein a la carte Art des Menüs und Auswahlmöglichkeiten.

(Vielleicht auch, wird der Touchscreen eher ein Hybrid-System werden, so dass der T2 mehr Quer Appell an die alten X-Benutzer hat). 

Wie auch immer, das ist, wie ich denke, Leica seine Produktentwicklung nähert.  

Durchaus vorstellbar, dass Leica CEO Herr Kaltner Auch sterben Panaleicas> D-Lux und> V-Lux kaltstellt.

Wer trotzdem auf D-Lux oder V-Lux nicht verzichten Möchte, kauft eben Eine Lumix LX100 oder FZ1000. Preisgünstiger Sind sie auf jeden fall.

Leica bleibt Leica mit oder ohne "X" und das, ganz wichtig, ab "SOFORT". 

Edited by kmhb

From my perspective, the soon to be "T2"  makes the continued development of the X line completely unnecessary.

The X Vario and D Lux 109 is effectively duplicated by the T and the 18-56; the X2, XE, and X typ 113 is supplanted by the T and 23 mm.

An 18-200 zoom would also be able to supplant the V Lux 114.

I would suspect that the "T2" is going to have a built in EVF, more megapixels, and a superior auto focus system. Leica has already shown us the roadmap with the Q, so we have a glimpse as to what is probable.  

The T line should be able to be 'everything for everyone' on the prosumer level, and it makes no sense to continue the X line. An ala carte type of menu and choices.

(Perhaps, even, the touch screen will become more of a hybrid system so that the T2 has more cross appeal to the old X users). 

Anyhow, that's how I would think Leica is approaching its product development.

I don't know about the D-Lux and V-Lux but I kind of agree with you. I think it would good if they made several different TL cameras with different user interfaces to address different markets.

An T like one like they have now but with an upgraded sensor or something like that.

An X like one without and EVF for the small and light crowd.

An X like one with an integrated EVF for the people who want that.

The thing is these could all be basically the same camera electronically and mechanically for the camera mechanism. They can have the same electronics and batteries. It is just a matter of different cases and how they attach the controls with flex cables and how big the screen is and a firmware load setting it all up.

Although there is the Q I still think there's room for an APS-C fixed 35mm lens (equiv) camera, but include an optical finder and either a fixed position lens or manually collapsible if it must.

The X Vario was hampered by the slow lens whilst a slow zoom on the T isn't such an issue as you have other options if you need faster lenses.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I looked briefly at the TL but have no idea if you can fit a viewfinder on that model, currently using a X1 with the added viewfinder. As an OAP I just cannot take shots looking at a screen I still think the X series would have sold more if Leica had added a built in viewfinder.

It may be just me but I cannot understand why anyone would want a camera with no viewfinder al least the X series you can add one. Would I upgrade maybe one day and I have looked at the CL mmm the trouble is the X1 I own is a joy to use without going into the menu. Not ruled out a CL or Q secondhand one day when I can afford one. 

31 minutes ago, pr1uk said:

I ruled out the TL2 that looks to much menu oriented for me

Ironically, that’s what attracted me to the TL2. The menus are very intuitive and once set, you can forget them and operate the camera with just the two dials and button. 

The back is so streamlined and uncluttered. No buttons, no joystick, no D-pad. Much nicer than the X series. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, pr1uk said:

Looks nice and would look even better with a viewfinder added, unless you are someone who likes to hold the camera out just like using a phone screen. Bet the viewfinders cost the earth too

Thank you. You can add a viewfinder to the TL2 just as you can to the X. I wear glasses so the viewfinder doesn’t really agree with me and given that I find the quality of EVFs lacking, I prefer the convenience of the screen. 

Edited by Reggie
  • Like 2