Helicoid adapter for leica M-lenses to Leica T / SL body

deep_blue

Depends what you desire to achieve. Just a closer focussing distance?

I use the Leica macro M adapter with all my M lenses stacked with the M adapter SL (T) for getting really close!! Have great fun with all focal lengths ...

Something like the Voigtlander VM-E close focus adapter for sony e-mount.

Edited by JMF

Yes I know. I used that adapter on A7r2 before buying SL. That adapter does nothing more but allow you to shorten the min focussing distance to 0.5m rather than 0.7m

As I stated above, the Leica macro adapter M used on SL is much more fun ... you can get much closer to your subject than 0.5m and depending on which M lens you use, you get varied magnification. Sweet.

Something like the Voigtlander VM-E close focus adapter for sony e-mount.[/size]

Edited by meerec

I just want to get a little closer sometimes without unmounting the lens.

If I would use the Leica macro adapter M I would always have to unmount the lens, mount the adapter, mount the lens again - correct?

But nevertheless it sounds interesting // is it possible to use it with all Leica-M glas? How much magnification do you get? Does it replace a macro?

The good thing with the Voigtlander close focus adapter is, that you normally use it as a regular Leica M-NEX adapter and just extend it, when you want closer focus.

Thanks JMF for the link to the HAWK'S adapter, looks very interesting, just what I was looking for. I will wait for some reviews [if I can resist].

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was at the Kipon booth during Photokina 2016 and asked for Leica M - SL adapters with helicoid, because they have adapters for M, SL and helidoid, but not in one piece. They could combine existing parts. They said that they do not have it yet but they will make them in "some weeks". I don't know if this was serious or if they only wanted to get rid of me asking questions.

I would appreciate such an adapter for ths "little bit closer", too.

Yes I know. I used that adapter on A7r2 before buying SL. That adapter does nothing more but allow you to shorten the min focussing distance to 0.5m rather than 0.7m

As I stated above, the Leica macro adapter M used on SL is much more fun ... you can get much closer to your subject than 0.5m and depending on which M lens you use, you get varied magnification. Sweet.

deep_blue, thanks for bringing up the subject...

I have found a used Leica macro adapter M yesterday at a real bargain price and have also ordered the Hawks adapter... I find the Oufro too limiting !

More news in a few weeks as I am away from France for a while.

Best , JM.

Edited by JMF

I will order from the next batch of Hawks adaptors (call me cautious) :-) 

I have the Macro M adaptor but it is only for doing macro with except with the 90 Macro lens that goes with it. 

Quoting the  following which  is enough to have me clicked on the buy it now box:

28mm with minimum focus distance of 0.7m was able to focus at 0.2m   -------- > ELMARIT 28/2.8 ASPH
            35mm with minimum focus distance of 1m was able to focus at 0.28m   -------- > SUMMILUX 35/1.4 V1
            50mm with minimum focus distance of 1m was able to focus at 0.43m   -------- > SUMMILUX 50/1.4 V1,NOCTILUX 50/1 V2,
            50mm with minimum focus distance of 0.75m was able to focus at 0.38m  ----- > SUMICRON 50/2 V5
            75mm with minimum focus distance 1.2m was able to focus at 0.73m ----------- > HEKTOR 73/1.9 
            90mm with minimum focus distance 1m was able to focus at 0.73m -------------- > SUMMICRON 90/2 V3
            LEICA DUAL RANGE SUMMICROM 50/2 CAN USED

Just played with the Hektor 73/1.9 on the SL with the original Leica M to L adapter today and for sure I'm looking forward to getting even nearer to my subjects ...

My 2 centavos, JM

The Leica macro adapter M works with *any* M lens. Yes you do need to unmount the lens, put the adapter in and mount the lens again. What's the big deal if you get lots of fun as the result? The adapter is very tiny, and I carry it with me all the time.

The wider the lens, the closer you need to get to focus, and the larger the magnification you get as a result. I often use it with the 50mm and 90mm for anything like food photography, product photography, really very close macro shots, etc. Experiment and have fun!!

Edited by meerec

Well, as an additional toy the leica macro adapter M sounds like a lot of fun. I will keep it in mind and get one if I find a good deal. Thanks for the hint.

But the Hawk's helicoid adapter fits my needs much better. The only little drawback is, that it does not transmit the 6Bit-codes... but you can't have everything ;)

I will wait for some reviews...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi JMF

Did the Hawk's adapter arrive already?

What are your experiences?

// THXXX

Torsten

Hi Torsten,

I would recommend the Hawks M to SL helicoid adapter .

My take after testing it out quickly :

Pros :

It really allows to get in very close as advertised, feels solid and I did not find any play at all.

It is not a Macro adapter and the helicoid opens other possibilities.

Cons:

Painted fully black, it does not have any milled slots to add the M to SL adapter's 6 bit code nor can it be easily done with a marker. 

I need to take my eye off the viewfinder to engage  the adapter's helicoid yet I might get used to it with more practise.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, JM

Edited by JMF

Thanks for your report JM

The only thing that keeps me from ordering is the fact, that I will have to set the lenses manually...

I will think it over...

And it would be great if you report in a bit if you have used it for a little longer if you are still happy and what are your thoughts...

Thanks again ;)

best // Torsten

Thanks for your report JM

The only thing that keeps me from ordering is the fact, that I will have to set the lenses manually...

I will think it over...

And it would be great if you report in a bit if you have used it for a little longer if you are still happy and what are your thoughts...

Thanks again ;)

best // Torsten

Well I believe you've said it all ...

• 3 weeks later...

btw: did you have to pay additional taxes // customs for importing to france?

No, not this time, I asked the eBay seller to declare  a low value when shipping via regular postal services assuming the risks myself .