Line/stripe on M262 sensor

PCPix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All - Has anybody else seen this:

A line on the image, almost precisely halfway across the image, and visible from the top to about a third of the way down. Only reveals itself when the sky is very light, almost near clipping, and then brought back using highlight recovery/contrast improvement. Sample image shows whole frame original and processed, then close up. The close up has had the levels tweaked to show it more clearly. I appreciate this is a big 'recovery' - but there shouldn't be any lines?

(New M262)

Edited by Paul Close

The thing is - I have had some dialogue with an American photographer who has one of the first bodies imported there (I'm in the UK and body is new) - and he shot some specific images in an attempt to replicate mine (bright sky, near clipping) and the line is on his too, in exactly the same place. (Image attached from his camera)

The company I bought from in the UK is at present exchanging the body for another and these same jpegs have been sent to Leica (but nobody has requested the original DNG at this point).

I shall see if the replacement body is the same - but finding the same issue on a very early body and on mine makes me think it is something to do with the sensor production and/or the software calibration of the sensor.

If anybody feels like testing their own 262 and/or possibly a 240 (?) - if you can get a cloudy overcast sky and expose the sky so it is just below clipping the highlights (as per the first image), then do a highlight recovery and tweak the contrast (I used CS6), then take a look at the centre top of the image and do a stong levels adjustment (effectively darkening the sky to a 'dramatic' effect) - you may also see it?

(By the way - All shot at ISO 200 - but it seems to be the same at higher ISO's too)

(Yaap - thanks for the sensor cleaning hint - I've got some wire wool and kerosene - will that do the job?!)

Edited by Paul Close

Vertical - unusual

Indeed, it appears to be some discontinuity in the right-lefthand halves of the sensor. Possibly something to do with the ADCs.

Yes, Paul, a wire brush and kerosene will do just fine. Make sure to spit on the sensor first for some lubrication.

:lol:

Indeed, it appears to be some discontinuity in the right-lefthand halves of the sensor. Possibly something to do with the ADCs.

Yes, Paul, a wire brush and kerosene will do just fine. Make sure to spit on the sensor first for some lubrication.

:lol:

That's helpful but it is not the sure way to get rid of some stubborn spots. If 100% clean sensor is the goal then you need to immerse the sensor in gasoline for at least 30 minutes prior to cleaning. I know it works well for my carburetors.

Edited by jmahto

Ok - so those of you following this - the new camera body has arrived and it is exactly the same, i.e. with stripe. I am going to follow up with Leica directly now and see what they say. We have three bodies (one very early production sold in USA, one with production date 11/03/2016 and one with production date 29/04/216 here in the UK) all with the identical line. If the sensor is made up from two halves (as mentioned earlier by Edward and Jaap), then this would indicate a minor tweak in output from the two halves to balance them better... hopefully within a firmware update? I will report back when we have some hard facts.

On a totally different topic - I can advise that the serial numbers of two bodies I have had are 4562 apart, 11/03/2016 - 29/04/216 is a day short of seven weeks so about 650 per week... (assuming the numbers apply only to the one model?)

Edited by Paul Close