So now I've bought an SL, what lenses should i get?

geetee1972

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After my recent road trip from Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan to Dushanbe, Tajikistan I have been carrying sling around my shoulder most of the time (90%) the SL, SL 24-90 and Peak Design SL strap.  I am now convinced that the SL 24-90 is the lens to get.  

You didn't find it a bit heavy? I've only recently bought the 24-90 and I love it, but I don't think I'd want to carry it too far. Wasn't it Weston who said his idea of a photogenic shot was a short walk from the car? Unless you are doing something that absolutely demands autofocus I think M lenses travel better.

As has been discussed  several times on other SL threads, an RRS full plate baseplate and the Peak Design Slide Strap completely neutralise the weight issues, as the strap is wide ..... similar to a car seatbelt .... and if used bandolier like over the opposite shoulder allows the camera to rest - lens down - over the hip or back. You can carry it all day like this .... even with the 90-280 .... and never notice it. If kept at the back it also avoids it bumping into things but is still instantly accessible. The SL may be ok with M lenses round the neck, but for anything heavier the PD strap is the way to go. 

I hardly feel the weight of the SL + SL24-90 by using the Peak Design SL2 strap sling across my shoulder as demonstrated. I even had the Peak Design Clutch on the SL as well.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1