So now I've bought an SL, what lenses should i get?

geetee1972

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All reasonable points. I am not considering the 24-90 for two reasons. One is the size; it's just too large and this is one of the main reasons I sold up my Sony gear in the first place. Yes the A7rII was small but the lenses were huge and cumbersome. The other reason is I don't like zooms; I much prefer working at a focal distance I know and understand and working myself as a photographer around that focal length. Zooms, like autofocus, make me lazy, whereas primes and manual focus keep me sharp.

I opted for the SL over an M240 because focusing the SL with manual lenses was, is, a dream. It's actually so easy to do, especially compared to the Sony where the promise of live view, magnified view and focus peaking was always let down by the poor quality of the EVF, at least compared to the SL. You need the EVF to be really good to make manual focus at large apertures realistically possible.

The SL 50 Lux is still a consideration but it is also still going to be huge and AF. The weatherproofing is an interesting point and strong point though. I have asked if the M/R lenses are weather proof and it seems the answer is along the lines of 'no but then there are no electronics inside them so nothing to go wrong'. My first thought though was that moisture is the best medium for fungus to grow in but I don't know if that is the actual cause of fungus in a lens or not.

Really this comes down to whether I just have the M 50 Lux or the M 50 Cron plus a longer focal length, larger aperture portrait lens.

Your coming to the SL from A7RII and the 24-90 mirrors my thoughts and action. I bought the SL and was happy with AF until I tried an M lens! Result I sold the AF lenses and now have 21/50/90/135 M lenses not all new (!) a 60 and a 100 Macros R. Those lenses cover my needs very well. They are all great. Just had a book printed with pictures taken with the SL and the 4 M lenses mentioned, couldn't wish for better!

It really like others say depends entirely on your needs/finances and your subject matter.

Your coming to the SL from A7RII and the 24-90 mirrors my thoughts and action. I bought the SL and was happy with AF until I tried an M lens! Result I sold the AF lenses and now have 21/50/90/135 M lenses not all new (!) a 60 and a 100 Macros R. Those lenses cover my needs very well. They are all great. Just had a book printed with pictures taken with the SL and the 4 M lenses mentioned, couldn't wish for better!

It really like others say depends entirely on your needs/finances and your subject matter.

Just had a quick look at your site. Have you come across 'Peter Moons' before? If not have a look here as you are going to love his work (among other things he shoots fabulous classic racing/sports cars using a Hasselblad MF film camera and Kodak Portra!)

http://www.petermoonsphotography.com/p-o-r-t-f-o-l-i-o#6

Just had a quick look at your site. Have you come across 'Peter Moons' before? If not have a look here as you are going to love his work (among other things he shoots fabulous classic racing/sports cars using a Hasselblad MF film camera and Kodak Portra!)

http://www.petermoonsphotography.com/p-o-r-t-f-o-l-i-o#6

Thanks for the link! The website font is  very distracting and difficult on the eyes, but the car images look excellent.

Edited by Guest

I started to use the SL with M & R lenses only and it was great. But then I got temped by the flexibility of the standard zoom with its added functionalities i.e.very precise focus assist AF (with the joystick) and the digital depth of field scale that is super useful for setting the lens in hyperfocal mode at any focal or, to move focus forward or backward. I have not seen this feature on any other brand. The other sweet thing with the SL thanks to Novoflex and Leica is that the wealth of lenses available is very large: All Leica lenses, almost all Canon EOS and Nikon Lenses...

I am into Tilt Shift these days and after exploring the fabulous Schneider SuperAngulon 28mm PCTS I am now going to try an Hartblei 80mm TS with a 12 blades diaph, no ASPH lenses, simple symmetric construction so it is supposed to have an amazing bokhey. 

I must say that I enjoy a lot this SL :-)

Edited by kikouyou

But then I got temped by the flexibility of the standard zoom with its added functionalities i.e.very precise focus assist AF (with the joystick) and the digital depth of field scale that is super useful for setting the lens in hyperfocal mode at any focal

Sorry, But how does it work to Display The digital depth of Field?

Edited by Klausb

The 24-90 is absolutely superb and I wouldn't be without it. However, when I bought the SL body I was totally against the size and weight of the 24-90 and swore I would never buy one; but then read reviews on how good it was and felt that by not having it was missing out on the AF feature of the SL. Bit like buying a Porsche and driving everywhere at 30mph.

Well worth considering despite the size and weight.

Regards, Tom

• 8 months later...

Interesting question that is still bothering me. I'm thinking of getting the SL and I have a nos. of M and R Lens.

To me the SL 2490 lens is a duplication of my M lens. I have the 28 cron, 35 lux, 50 lux and the 90 cron. My favourite M lens is the 50 lux.

My conclusion was to get the SL 90-280 lens instead of the SL 24-90 lens.

Hi All!

I have the same idea!

Have a good day!

Thanks!

Probably a good choice, as the Summilux-M 50 ASPH is a very good lens.  I share your affinity with 50s.

From experience, however, like Gordon, I find small M lenses fiddly on the SL.  The SL body fills the hands more than M cameras (especially the smaller film bodies).  I find that I prefer to use the larger M mount lenses on the SL - the 21, 28 & 75 Summilux and the Noctilux (I'm down to 4 focal lengths in M mount).  The best of the R lenses may be a more cost effective choice for you to consider.

I share your lack of enthusiasm for AF and zoom lenses, however I do think you should add a native L mount lens to your system at some point.  Weather sealing and AF do provide a usual alternative, which maximises the SL system, and the zooms really are as good as others say they are.

Cheers

John

Interesting question that is still bothering me. I'm thinking of getting the SL and I have a nos. of M and R Lens.

To me the SL 2490 lens is a duplication of my M lens. I have the 28 cron, 35 lux, 50 lux and the 90 cron. My favourite M lens is the 50 lux.

My conclusion was to get the SL 90-280 lens instead of the SL 24-90 lens.

After my recent road trip from Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan to Dushanbe, Tajikistan I have been carrying sling around my shoulder most of the time (90%) the SL, SL 24-90 and Peak Design SL strap.  I am now convinced that the SL 24-90 is the lens to get.  

After my recent road trip from Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan to Dushanbe, Tajikistan I have been carrying sling around my shoulder most of the time (90%) the SL, SL 24-90 and Peak Design SL strap.  I am now convinced that the SL 24-90 is the lens to get.  

You didn't find it a bit heavy? I've only recently bought the 24-90 and I love it, but I don't think I'd want to carry it too far. Wasn't it Weston who said his idea of a photogenic shot was a short walk from the car? Unless you are doing something that absolutely demands autofocus I think M lenses travel better.

You didn't find it a bit heavy? I've only recently bought the 24-90 and I love it, but I don't think I'd want to carry it too far. Wasn't it Weston who said his idea of a photogenic shot was a short walk from the car? Unless you are doing something that absolutely demands autofocus I think M lenses travel better.

As has been discussed  several times on other SL threads, an RRS full plate baseplate and the Peak Design Slide Strap completely neutralise the weight issues, as the strap is wide ..... similar to a car seatbelt .... and if used bandolier like over the opposite shoulder allows the camera to rest - lens down - over the hip or back. You can carry it all day like this .... even with the 90-280 .... and never notice it. If kept at the back it also avoids it bumping into things but is still instantly accessible. The SL may be ok with M lenses round the neck, but for anything heavier the PD strap is the way to go. 

As has been discussed several times on other SL threads, an RRS full plate baseplate and the Peak Design Slide Strap completely neutralise the weight issues, as the strap is wide ..... similar to a car seatbelt .... and if used bandolier like over the opposite shoulder allows the camera to rest - lens down - over the hip or back. You can carry it all day like this .... even with the 90-280 .... and never notice it. If kept at the back it also avoids it bumping into things but is still instantly accessible. The SL may be ok with M lenses round the neck, but for anything heavier the PD strap is the way to go.

Good plan. I have thinktank belt, braces and camerabag which is also good as all the weight is on your hips. Unfortunately it does make me look like an aged spetznaz, so other suggestions for solutions are welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good plan. I have thinktank belt, braces and camerabag which is also good as all the weight is on your hips. Unfortunately it does make me look like an aged spetznaz, so other suggestions for solutions are welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually dispense with a bag for the SL ...... have the camera on one Peak design Slide Strap on my left side and the 90-280 in a lens bag on a PD Slide strap on the right. SL gear is robust and water proof. Everything else goes in pockets. Ok I look eccentric, but it works fine....

• Like 1

For some it might be. However it's also about the same weight as an M and a bag of primes that cover the same range. With an RRS plate it's 2.1 kg.

Like others said a sling strap is the simple solution. Unlike the others I don't like the Peak Design webbing straps. I prefer Rapid straps. I have taken the RS clip off mine and replaced it with a QD connector. There's a QD anchor built into the RRS base plate.

Gordon

• Like 2

In one of my recent travel trips, I battled with myself over carrying 3 M primes + M240 or just carry 24-90mm + SL. In the end my choice was to just carry my SL with one lens. The pros are that the overall weight & bulk is lesser and there is no need for me to struggle to change lenses. Franklly for landscape and street shots, my tripod which I took along was more valuable than my prime lenses.

• Like 1