24mm vs 28mm Elmarit

PhotoFan

Based solely on personal experience, I've had the better results from my 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R series 1, certainly compared to the 24mm. It's fair to say though the 28mm is considerably older than the 24mm I had for a while (1977 versus 1984) so it's probably not a case of comparing like with like.

Sharpness is the least interesting aspect of a lens...

I agree, at leat partially, however the Leica management dont seem think so. Did you see the last lenses - with incredibly high number of elements - of the new SL? The MTF curves are the closest to 1 (100%).

Fernando.

I haven't the first two lenses you cited. I have the 2nd version of the 28, with built-in lens hood. It is very sharp, but i can't compare - as lens rendition - with the first version. Regards the 35 mm Elmarit: I have the 2nd version of it. It is sharp at the corner, very sharp in the centre.

To choose 2 of the three... it is a question I can't resolve.

Fernando.

• 1 month later...

Ok. I have a chance to get 2 of these three. I already have the 50 sumicron

24 & 28 as described above and the 35, all elmarit

which 2 would you choose based on lens performance?

Thanks!

I would recommend that you choose the 24 & 35. The 24 is good, but the 35 is likely the best lens of all three. My oldest 35 2.8 Ver II that used series 7 filters was a great lens (70's). Sharp with no coma even wide open. Newer versions would be even better. If it were the 2nd version of the 28, that would be a different story, but that lens alone would cost more than the 3 others combined.

24 is a floating element Minolta design.     Problem being the depth of field on axis is different from edges.  Problem well reported.

original 28 is sharp but dull colors.

The winner is second version 28.

Of all the old wides,  35 2.8 version 2 with 55 mm filters is superior.

21 35 zoom is very good.

• Like 1