Leica Summaron-28 -image thread

helged

Oh, Thx. It's clear now to me. Indeed I have no M-lens with such a button to move away from infinity. 

A bit hard to understand what that should be good for. I understand it with heavy Canon lenses that get longer when not in infinity position. But why with this little lens? Anyway that is how it is. Maybe it is just because it was like that in 1955 already.

28 minutes ago, Keith (M) said:

As it will be used on my MP, I'll have to make sure I do not get any 'analogue surprises'!  

My 35mm Summaron f2.8 & 5cm Summicron LTM both have infinity stops, so I'm well used to them.

Time to make a decision...

I hope so,

analog or digital surprises, with digits in the image, for example here, the Summaron-M 28 was used on the screenless M-D (typ 262),

I saw the "effect" later on and asked myself what these rose things at left could be ⁉️

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

to see later at home that those were my digits which were not on the focus lever (I see now what this lever is there for ... resting digits 😉)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, M10 for me said:

Oh, Thx. It's clear now to me. Indeed I have no M-lens with such a button to move away from infinity. 

A bit hard to understand what that should be good for. I understand it with heavy Canon lenses that get longer when not in infinity position. But why with this little lens? Anyway that is how it is. Maybe it is just because it was like that in 1955 already.

Most early Leica lenses have this feature, going back to 1925. It had two main purposes (a) to stop the lens moving around when transported and (b) then to hold the lens in focus at infinity. The current version of this lens is an M mount facsimile of the original LTM lens and, therefore, it has this feature. The only issue with using the LTM lenses with this feature is when using them with an adapter on an M mount camera where with some such lenses the focus lever can get stuck at infinity. However, I have used the original LTM mount version of this lens with an adapter on an M mount camera with no real issues.

William

• Thanks 1

On other pictures,

the rendering is at top as it should

Leica M-D (typ 262), Summaron-M 28mm, Strasbourg

• Like 3

I focus it by pushing in the button with my finger, thereby unlocking the lock if it is/becomes active and turning with the one finger, like using a tab. I use the locked button and the head of a small screw diametrically opposite to get a grip on the lens when mounting or unmounting it.

I just started experimenting with my new-to-me, pre-owned Leitz Summaron 2.8cm lens. It had a recent, documented CLA by Leica North America, in New Jersey. First OOC JPEG impressions are good! 

This Summaron does render noticeably different than my Leica-M Elmarit 28mm, third version, designed by Walter Mandler. This difference is a good thing, to me. I would probably find a newest-version Elmarit-M 28mm ASPH to be less interesting than either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ianman said:

It also facilitates removal of the lens from the body.

With some lenses, when the infinity stop tends to stick when mounted via an adapter on an M,  I take the knob to the minimum focus distance in order to mount and dismount the lens. We all have our own techniques which work for us.

William

• Like 1

Guest Nowhereman

M10 | Summaron-M 1:5.6/28 | ISO 800 | f/5.6 | 1/60 sec

Chiang Mai - Empire of Signs

Edited by Nowhereman

St Simeon Monastery, Aswan Desert.

Leica MP

28mm summaron-m

Ektar

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 19

In my use, this "special" lens enhances the renderings ( from it's own unique "character " ) on every Leica M .

Wonderful on films , color sensors ... and Monochrom  ( this scarce E34 size filter choice not so good , I'd prefer E39 ) when I found ways to use colored filters.

15 hours ago, airV said:

Hello 

I'm very Interested in summaron 28mm. 

I hesitate between the original and the new.

I already own the summicron 28mm Asph

What are your opinions on original vs. new ?

thanks

herve

Old lenses, no matter how well looked after, are likely to suffer dust and haze. These are natural products of age, although many can't/do not want to see them. The latest has better coatings and is 6-bit coded (only relevant to digital Leica's). The original was of course only made in screw-mount so would need an adapter to use with M mount. What is the possible advantage of the 'original' if you don't already own one?

It's a wonderful lens with a very special rendering, and the colours on digital sensors are lovely (saturated).

Edited by pedaes

vor 15 Stunden schrieb airV:

As Leica only produces the Summaron 5.6-28mm with M-bayonet, the only reason to purchase an old M39-Summaron would be using a screw mount Leica.
I gave up searching for a clean old exemplar without haze, dust or even fungus.
An experienced Leica technician warned me to ask for service for such a dirty old Summaron 28, as he wouldn't be able to center the tiny lenses exactly.
Prices for old M39-Summarons are somewhat high, especially if including the old lens hood.
Therefore a new M-Summaron 5.6-28 should be the better choice for all M-Leicas.
A black M-Summaron 5.6-28mm fits my old M6 perfectly.
If Leica would now deliver olive M5.6-28mm to existing Safari cameras of the M8.2, M240 and M10-P series...

19 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

St Simeon Monastery, Aswan Desert.

Leica MP

28mm summaron-m

Ektar

Beautiful images. Thanks for sharing. I know you didn’t ask for advice or anything so disregard if needed. I think the presentation of the “matte” would be strengthened if you drop the “image:” (don’t remove your name)

only reason I mention is to me it softens an otherwise fantastic product and display. Nice work regardless. 

Edited by dkmoore
  • Like 1

It's interesting how so many people seemed to (profoundly) dislike this lens when it was introduced. Maybe they just failed to see or understand its potential. Mine as been attached to my M9 or MP on a permanent basis for the past 4 years. In fact I almost bought a black one too so until I saw one and found it incredibly ugly.

• Like 2