Leica Summaron-28 -image thread

helged

Well, now that the discussion turned toward the sharpness, dreaminess, and vignetting characteristics of the various 28mm lenses, I will mention that I “settled for” a well-preserved Elmarit-M, though not just any Elmarit-M, but a Mandler-designed III, or 3rd version. This should have a visual signature noticeably different from an Elmarit-M ASPH, or the Summaron-M. If I want sharp edges and corners, of course, well, I have a Nikon D850, and a Nikkor 28/1.4E. 😉 

Notably, I had recently been on-the-alert for Mandler lenses, and found this Elmarit-M locally, at Houston Camera Exchange, in Texas.

I remain interested in acquiring a 28mm Summaron-M, for its tiny size, as well as what I believe to be its unique visual signature. There are times that I will use an M10, and a Monochrom 246, at the same time, so having two lenses of the same focal length is not such an extravagance, especially if one is compact. (I already have a compact Summaron-M 3.5cm f/3.5, and a larger Zeiss Distagon 1,4/35mm ZM.)

Edited by RexGig0
  • Thanks 1

Heads up for anyone wanting Heliopan filters for their 28mm summaron-m:

Maco Direct in Germany are about the cheapest supplier I could find.  I've dealt with this company previously and have never had any problems with their service.

E34mm UV

E34mm #8 yellow

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!

Last time I looked they had none. It was a while ago so I got them from https://lumiere-shop.de/. Buying from them was ok, but very slow and no communication. The site said they had stock when they actually had none so it delivery took a couple of weeks. I don't know if it's a big operation but sometimes they close down the whole site for weeks.

I've also bought from Maco direct, film and other supplies, and agree they provide a good service.

• Like 1

Am 9.11.2019 um 19:20 schrieb ianman:

Thorsten, may I ask why you use the Summaron rather than a different 28mm?

I don't understand why you would use this lens and remove one of its inherent features. I understand people don't like vignetting but then why buy the Summaron? I'm a sucker for natural vignetting, that is why I have the Summaron and not the Elmarit which was on my wish list before this one was released.

Hello and nice evening ( / day) Ian,

the Elmarit-M 28ASPH was my first purchase of a new lens at my beginning with M8 and has complemented my Summicron-C 2/40mm. The quality, brilliance is impressive and the compactness was for me important.

The small flat design of the Summaron-M 28 caught my interest.

Since * the Summaron-M 28 doesn't lack sharpness and contrast, I ordered it. (* After reading the reports here over the last few years. Thread 'search sharpness')

In the beginning I used it in parallel with the Elmarit-M for comparison. So I was regularly on the road with the two lenses and took pictures at the same place, time and under similar lighting conditions. If you remove the vignetting, the Summaron-M 28 is not lagging (much) behind 'my reference' Elmarit-M 28mm ASPH lens. I can do without the speed during the day in landscape photography. I'm totally excited about the quality of the results. 

The old lens design in cooperation with the possibilities of current computer processing opens up the best of both worlds. I am learning more and more to enjoy the character of the lens. Also a way of coming together. …

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Elmarit-M 28mm ASPH (206g) /... / Summaron-M 28mm (187g) / Summicron-C 40mm (153g) / Macro-Elmar-M 90mm (271g)

Disadvantage and my wishes: weight ...

A light metal  version of Summaron-M 28 would be very interesting for me.  In this context, I would also like to see a robust, stable 'Special Edition' L. Camera-M in lightweight construction with composite materials around a magnesium housing, carbon and high-strength materials. Particularly the brass cap and the brass bottom cover are unnecessary loads from the last century.

Thorsten

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Black's Beach, La Jolla by JM__, on Flickr

Untitled by JM__, on Flickr

The Shores by JM__, on Flickr

28 Summaron LTM - M2 - Acros 100

The Shores by JM__, on Flickr

28 Summaron LTM - M2 - Acros 100

On 11/17/2019 at 1:56 PM, Dao De Leitz said:

Hello and nice evening ( / day) Ian,

the Elmarit-M 28ASPH was my first purchase of a new lens at my beginning with M8 and has complemented my Summicron-C 2/40mm. The quality, brilliance is impressive and the compactness was for me important.

The small flat design of the Summaron-M 28 caught my interest.

Since * the Summaron-M 28 doesn't lack sharpness and contrast, I ordered it. (* After reading the reports here over the last few years. Thread 'search sharpness')

In the beginning I used it in parallel with the Elmarit-M for comparison. So I was regularly on the road with the two lenses and took pictures at the same place, time and under similar lighting conditions. If you remove the vignetting, the Summaron-M 28 is not lagging (much) behind 'my reference' Elmarit-M 28mm ASPH lens. I can do without the speed during the day in landscape photography. I'm totally excited about the quality of the results. 

The old lens design in cooperation with the possibilities of current computer processing opens up the best of both worlds. I am learning more and more to enjoy the character of the lens. Also a way of coming together. …

Thorsten

You and several others who posted in this thread are, at least partially responsible, for my leap to add this unique little lens to my collection. This is only a first feeble try with the Summaron on a scene I have done thousands of times with a number of different lenses and in different light. Must say the Summaron does have its very own 'signature' as advertised. Thanks! Can't wait to take it to the streets. Cheers.

M10-P, Summaron-M 1:5.6/28

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Gatico by JM__, on Flickr

1956 28 Summaron LTM on M10

en Tocopilla by JM__, on Flickr

en Tocopilla by JM__, on Flickr

1956 28 Summaron LTM on M10

• 2 weeks later...

Guest Nowhereman

M10 | Summaron-M 1:5.6/28 | ISO 200 | f/5.6 | 1/125 sec

Chiang Mai

Guest Nowhereman

The color version of the last image that I posted. Daido Moriyama says that one the things he likes about digital is that he can decide later whether to use the B&W or color version — or whether to use both. 

M10 | Summaron-M 1:5.6/28 | ISO 200 | f/5.6 | 1/125 sec

Chiang Mai

Sunset, Poole HarbourJetty

M9

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 17

love this little lens ..

• Like 5

• jaapv changed the title to Leica Summaron-28 -image thread