Leica Summaron-28 -image thread

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

two days ago... , Palatinate Forest south

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Summaron-M 28mm  ( on  Flickr / large-scale / by  Dao De Leitz )

Thorsten

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, james.liam said:

Aside from size, what do you see in it that the latest 28 Elmarit lacks?

I think G.A.S. 😇

More seriously, I use some 28mm (with films and sensors) which has their own merit in each one.

I use the two 28mm along, I can "see" the differences with the two in final results.

Not that the Summaron-M is "better" than the Elmarit-M asph. but in feeling (I know not very scientific) when viewed the "same" subject,

there is kind of "sparkling gentleness" in the Summaron-m's image that the Elmarit-M asph. lacks.

The Elmarit-M asph. is "better" in contrasting subject, but with more subtle lighting or coloring, the Summaron-M wins anytime.

The picture following is not a good example for Summaron rendering,

I just want to point the "difference" with more modern lenses on one point, sun stars

This is wide open (f/5.6) with Summaron LTM

28mm asph. lens would give some sunstars (in my experiences) in the "spots" when close to f/5.6 (Summicron or Elmarit ! )

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

more subtle lighting or coloring

Would you say that the Summaron has less macro contrast than the Elmarit asph? Just curious as i hesitate to order this lens and pics above show more vignetting but also as much micro contrast as the Elmarit asph apparently. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Post # 1321 of Dao De Leitz shows really well what I feel about "subtle colorings" of Summaron 2.8cm or Summaron-M 28mm.

Nice pic thanks but looks pretty contrasty i must say. No sure the same result could not be achieved with the Elmarit asph, let alone that the natural vignetting of the Summaron seems to have been removed by the author.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lct said:

Nice pic thanks but looks pretty contrasty i must say. No sure the same result could not be achieved with the Elmarit asph, let alone that the natural vignetting of the Summaron seems to have been removed by the author.

Probably the modern coatings, I suppose.

I think the pancake concept for M cameras is in line with the ideal of compact camera bodies; for instance, a new 50 Elmar M (?APO) or 35 Summaron ƒ/3.5 would be quite appealing. In the case of the 28 Summaron, seems more the look and handling of the tiny lens that appeals. The Elmarit is already small and its performance is stellar.

Edited by james.liam

19 minutes ago, james.liam said:

In the case of the 28 Summaron, seems more the look and handling of the tiny lens that appeals.

I can't speak for other users but I like this lens because of the stunning photographs it can produce. The small size is a bonus, as for the look of it, I couldn't care less.

Edited by ianman

7 minutes ago, ianman said:

I can't speak for other users but I like this lens because of the stunning photographs it can produce. The small size is a bonus, as for the look of it, I couldn't care less.

If I hadn't already had a 28 Elmarit, it would be a viable option. I don't see anything gained replacing the Elmarit or adding the Summaron.

Reminds me of the work done by Leica on the Elmar-M 50/2.8 compared to the previous Elmar 50. More macro and micro contrast out of a similar optical formula. Might explain why the Summaron-M 28/5.6 has a different IQ to both Summaron 28/5.6 and Elmarit 28/2.8 asph, the same way as the Elmar-M 50/2.8 compared to both Elmar 50/2.8 and Summarit-M 50/2.5. Does it make any sense?

@lct:  ... #1321 ...  the natural vignetting of the Summaron seems to have been removed by the author. - exact, here with vignetting: 

Summaron-M 28mm 

Which variant you all like more, is objectively better.
      -        ...  does this remain a personal matter of taste?

Thorsten

Edited by Dao De Leitz
... without processing vignetting ~ with ... (edit) (;-)
  • Like 4

Thorsten, may I ask why you use the Summaron rather than a different 28mm?

I don't understand why you would use this lens and remove one of its inherent features. I understand people don't like vignetting but then why buy the Summaron? I'm a sucker for natural vignetting, that is why I have the Summaron and not the Elmarit which was on my wish list before this one was released.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

The 28 Elmarit is going to be more clinical than the dreamy funkiness of the Summaron :D But I don't own the Summaron  yet so can't say much LoL.

The Summaron-M is not a "dreamy" lens. On the contrary, it is actually very sharp (across most of the frame) nor could it be described as having insufficient contrast.

• Like 3

Guest Nowhereman

Spot-on : the Summaron is very sharp and, in terms of contrast, is great for film, but more contrasty than I would like for the M10, on which one has to underexpose more than with the Summicron 35v4 or Summilux 35 FLE to keep from blowing highlights.

• jaapv changed the title to Leica Summaron-28 -image thread