helged

Leica Summaron-28

Posted (edited)

The thread rolls on...

I went to Collard Hill in Somerset on summer solstice last Friday. I went principally to see the Large Blue (as I have done for the last few years at this time of year) but the view is also worth the trip. M240 and 28 Summaron-M.

Edited by wattsy

Can anyone who owns both a 28 Elmarit ASPH and the new Summaron tell me what I’m missing when both are set at f/5.6? 

5 minutes ago, james.liam said:

Can anyone who owns both a 28 Elmarit ASPH and the new Summaron tell me what I’m missing when both are set at f/5.6? 

Nothing

or ALL

depending on subject in front 😇

as side note, I've never use at same time/subject the two 28mm

they are quite different and I plan to use one over another knowing which kind of photos I want.

19 minutes ago, james.liam said:

Most obviously the natural vignetting of the Summaron (as seen in Wattsy's lovely image above/Post #1202). Critical examination will also show better corner resolution from the Elmarit. 

10 hours ago, pedaes said:

Most obviously the natural vignetting of the Summaron (as seen in Wattsy's lovely image above/Post #1202). Critical examination will also show better corner resolution from the Elmarit. 

I agree. That is what I see, when examining others’ images. (I own neither the Elmarit-M ASPH nor the Summaron-M, but keep trying to justify buying one or the other, or, perhaps, both, sooner or later, probably later, when I can justify spending the money.)

😉

Fields so green,

sky so gray, or a bit cloudy

I like the combo which one enhances the other hues

👍 for you two Ian

On 5/31/2019 at 10:59 PM, RexGig0 said:

I cannot yet answer that, but just ordered a Heliopan threaded 39mm Short Metal Lens Hood, from the UK, which can simply thread into the outside of the 39mm filter. I have yet to order the 34-39mm step-up ring, which I can buy in the USA, from B&H, as I have yet to decide whether to buy a Summaron-M 28mm. This 39mm short hood will, hopefully, be useful with my Summaron-M 3.5cm f/3.5. The “proper” Leitz hood for the 3.5cm Summaron appears to be a short cylinder, so the Heliopan Short Metal Hood should work.

Hi, what about using Heliopan 39mm hood + ste-up ring. Is it ok?

If not said before, I never use the very nice hood delivered with the Summaron-M.

So nicely built that it almost double the light 28mm weight.

The front lens is so small and recess far inside that the mount acts as "very effective shade".

Even the metal cap is over-built, I've found  (very hard to have  " practical plastic cap" of this E34 size ) a plastic cap substitution = "Asahi opt. co." body cap from Pentax Spotmatic 😇

Even this kind of cap ...some don't fit well and fall in use, I think that the precision in size varies over time.

59 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

If not said before, I never use the very nice hood delivered with the Summaron-M.

The front lens is so small and recess far inside that the mount acts as "very effective shade".

Even the metal cap is over-built, I've found  (very hard to have  " practical plastic cap" of this E34 size ) a plastic cap substitution = "Asahi opt. co." body cap from Pentax Spotmatic 😇

Even this kind of cap ...some don't fit well and fall in use, I think that the precision in size varies over time.

Agreed - I have bought a cheapo generic plastic clip in cap for everyday use and keep original with hood in the nice presentation box lens comes in.

7 minutes ago, poli said:

I also never use the hood on this lens. Too cumbersome to put on and I do not think it is necessary. :)

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

Thanks a lot.