Leica Summaron-28 -image thread

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just got my copy of the Summaron-M, but looks like Lightroom (latest update) has problem assigning the right aperture by even picking non-existing ones. However, looks like it picked the right lens. Anyone with similar problems? My point was that at least it could try existing ones since it’s way worse than other lenses I have...

Edited by Magnus_L_Andersson

jdlaing, I do know but it’s funny that 2019 with a tag in exif giving the name, hence implicit possible apertures, the guessing is not better than it is. The guessing is clearly better for my lux and elmar, and wonder if this lens is known to result in worse guesses than other.

Edited by Magnus_L_Andersson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, 

so I guess it's time to come back to topic 😉

What should I say, after saying in the beginning that this lens only makes limited sense, the Summaron flu got me.

It started quite simple: Just trying out ... oh, quite nice indeed. Half a year later I bought the Summilux 35 FLE and very soon I realized that my also very much liked Elmarit 28mm asph. is 

a) not far from 35mm (no real surprise)

b) in its optical drawing nearly identical with the 35mm Summilux, or at least, also very modern

So the conclusion was getting rid of the 28mm and doing the sensible thing: 21, 35, 50, 90 - which is more than enough and most of the time I chose for traveling to go for 2 or max 3 lenses. 

And so I told my wife - she rising an eyebrow: "Really, selling a lens because it is so similar? That's something new. What's with that tiny little old fashioned lens you talked about for quite a while?"

I, suspiciously: "Hmm, yes of course, that would be a total different lens, and therefore justifiable".  She: "Then sell this one and buy the other one".

I:"Yes, that's indeed a good option" - and so I did buy a very nice used like new Summaron 28mm (current one). And that's the story about my perfect wife :)

But now, the story about the Summaron:

Wow, wow, wow. I love it. Within shortest time it grew to be my second most beloved lens after my 35mm FLE. It's rendering is classical, yet very, very sharp in the broad center. Actually I was extremely surprised how sharp it is. But in fact, sharp is not important with this lens. 

As I see it, the Summaron has a very special kind of crisp but muted color rendition and sharp but dreamy look. As said, very special, but than again not so special. Ahh, just very hard to describe. 

Beside that, does it make the M10 extremely small and it does look very nice on the camera. Normally that is not really important for me. Don't misunderstand me, I am an Engineer and always appreciate nice things especially when they are well made. And damn, this Summaron is well made and so nice to just look at. 

I have now used it on several occasions as a single lens and it worked out to be a great tool, not just a gimmick as so many have written. Most of the pictures are with people as the main object, so I will not share them here. However, now comes the typical anecdotical wife story: She also loves how the pictures look like, especially the skin tones and the overall look ... obviously she has a glue, or just knows how to please me 

I use the lens without lens hood, which is untypical for me, but honestly, even if the square hood looks cool, I don't like it - not a bit. It takes away the coolness and compactness of the lens. Beside that is the Summaron not very prone to flair, and the front element is quite deep in the lens and therefore well protected - so no big deal. 

Long story short: The lens is in my humble opinion highly underrated and surprisingly a real gem. In this case really using it, means understanding its virtues. Just a few snapshots in the store will not show how nice this lens is. Plus, it is a perfect addition to a modern lens line up. 

Attached a very simple first test shot from the first morning after I got the lens.

Cheers

Daniel

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Daniel C.1975
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ianman said:

Can you still use the hood with the step-up ring?

As Wattsy suggested,  I mount the hood first, then screw in the 34 mm filter, so  my guess is that a 39 mm filter on a step-up ring should clear the hood.

6 hours ago, ianman said:

Can you still use the hood with the step-up ring?

I cannot yet answer that, but just ordered a Heliopan threaded 39mm Short Metal Lens Hood, from the UK, which can simply thread into the outside of the 39mm filter. I have yet to order the 34-39mm step-up ring, which I can buy in the USA, from B&H, as I have yet to decide whether to buy a Summaron-M 28mm. This 39mm short hood will, hopefully, be useful with my Summaron-M 3.5cm f/3.5. The “proper” Leitz hood for the 3.5cm Summaron appears to be a short cylinder, so the Heliopan Short Metal Hood should work.

On 5/31/2019 at 5:29 PM, Daniel C.1975 said:

Hi, 

so I guess it's time to come back to topic 😉

What should I say, after saying in the beginning that this lens only makes limited sense, the Summaron flu got me.

It started quite simple: Just trying out ... oh, quite nice indeed. Half a year later I bought the Summilux 35 FLE and very soon I realized that my also very much liked Elmarit 28mm asph. is 

a) not far from 35mm (no real surprise)

b) in its optical drawing nearly identical with the 35mm Summilux, or at least, also very modern

So the conclusion was getting rid of the 28mm and doing the sensible thing: 21, 35, 50, 90 - which is more than enough and most of the time I chose for traveling to go for 2 or max 3 lenses. 

And so I told my wife - she rising an eyebrow: "Really, selling a lens because it is so similar? That's something new. What's with that tiny little old fashioned lens you talked about for quite a while?"

I, suspiciously: "Hmm, yes of course, that would be a total different lens, and therefore justifiable".  She: "Then sell this one and buy the other one".

I:"Yes, that's indeed a good option" - and so I did buy a very nice used like new Summaron 28mm (current one). And that's the story about my perfect wife :)

But now, the story about the Summaron:

Wow, wow, wow. I love it. Within shortest time it grew to be my second most beloved lens after my 35mm FLE. It's rendering is classical, yet very, very sharp in the broad center. Actually I was extremely surprised how sharp it is. But in fact, sharp is not important with this lens. 

As I see it, the Summaron has a very special kind of crisp but muted color rendition and sharp but dreamy look. As said, very special, but than again not so special. Ahh, just very hard to describe. 

Beside that, does it make the M10 extremely small and it does look very nice on the camera. Normally that is not really important for me. Don't misunderstand me, I am an Engineer and always appreciate nice things especially when they are well made. And damn, this Summaron is well made and so nice to just look at. 

I have now used it on several occasions as a single lens and it worked out to be a great tool, not just a gimmick as so many have written. Most of the pictures are with people as the main object, so I will not share them here. However, now comes the typical anecdotical wife story: She also loves how the pictures look like, especially the skin tones and the overall look ... obviously she has a glue, or just knows how to please me 

I use the lens without lens hood, which is untypical for me, but honestly, even if the square hood looks cool, I don't like it - not a bit. It takes away the coolness and compactness of the lens. Beside that is the Summaron not very prone to flair, and the front element is quite deep in the lens and therefore well protected - so no big deal. 

Long story short: The lens is in my humble opinion highly underrated and surprisingly a real gem. In this case really using it, means understanding its virtues. Just a few snapshots in the store will not show how nice this lens is. Plus, it is a perfect addition to a modern lens line up. 

Attached a very simple first test shot from the first morning after I got the lens.

Cheers

Daniel

Hi Daniel

I really think that your picture looks quite cool and dreamy, but I hope you don't mind me asking if the vignette has been enhanced in PP

K

vor 28 Minuten schrieb Kyros Moutsouris:

Hi Daniel

I really think that your picture looks quite cool and dreamy, but I hope you don't mind me asking if the vignette has been enhanced in PP

K

Hi,

no I don‘t mind ;) 

Could be a -8 in LR (out of my head, as I am traveling)

cheers

20 minutes ago, Kyros Moutsouris said:

Hi Daniel

K

Hello Kyros,

I think that vignetting is one of many Summaron 28mm 's own unique characters.

In my use, I must close to f/11 or 16 to avoid some vignetting (well, in some kind of photos that don't need vignette) with my Summaron 28mm.

Leica M-D, Summaron-M 28mm

Strasbourg, 2017 october

"Ceci n'est que de l'Art"

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Hello Kyros,

I think that vignetting is one of many Summaron 28mm 's own unique characters.

In my use, I must close to f/11 or 16 to avoid some vignetting (well, in some kind of photos that don't need vignette) with my Summaron 28mm.

Leica M-D, Summaron-M 28mm

Strasbourg, 2017 october

"Ceci n'est que de l'Art"

That's a nice one too...

Thx for your insight Daniel

K

Just to keep the threat alive ...

• Like 12

... the more I use it, the more I love that lens ...

Edited by Daniel C.1975
  • Like 6

Lovely images, Daniel.

I get what you mean about the Summaron - it has such a lovely antique feel about it.  After I bought the 75 Summicron-SL (on impulse), and started to feel foolish, I thought about my M system - a film M, a Monochrom & M10-D, and 4 old style lenses and 5 modern ASPH lenses - and I felt, by chance, that I seem to have accumulated a very satisfying combination of post-war & Mandler lenses with interesting characteristics, and state of the art(ish) Karbe lenses, all between 21mm & 75mm.

I see years of pleasure stretching out before me, and a mountain of developing, scanning and post-processing which gives me no pleasure at all ...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

Lovely images, Daniel.

I get what you mean about the Summaron - it has such a lovely antique feel about it.  After I bought the 75 Summicron-SL (on impulse), and started to feel foolish, I thought about my M system - a film M, a Monochrom & M10-D, and 4 old style lenses and 5 modern ASPH lenses - and I felt, by chance, that I seem to have accumulated a very satisfying combination of post-war & Mandler lenses with interesting characteristics, and state of the art(ish) Karbe lenses, all between 21mm & 75mm.

I see years of pleasure stretching out before me, and a mountain of developing, scanning and post-processing which gives me no pleasure at all ...

I agree. I've all the modern (Karbe) M lenses I want and I've just finished off my Mandler set with a 28 Elmarit-M v3 which arrived on Friday.

• Like 1

M9, 28mm Summaron-M, yellow filter

Saddle Tor by Ian Mantripp, on Flickr

• Like 7

M9, 28mm Summaron-M, yellow filter

Saddle Tor by Ian Mantripp, on Flickr

• Like 3

• jaapv changed the title to Leica Summaron-28 -image thread