Leica Summaron-28 -image thread

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The fact that it is priced at 2K is stupid in my opinion, regardless of not having any more data than what was released and also warrants the word choice used.

It doesn't matter that people will be willing to buy this lens I think the marketing team has gaffed.

• Like 1

It's a beautiful piece of hardware and I want one. There, I admitted it.

But if Leica is going to go all nostalgic I expect to see the return of the SLOOZ as well; I'd get one for my Elmarit ASPH. If they're just sucking up to the collecto-users on the digital side of business that's OK with me too but please spare me the endless history lessons in the advertising. Time has indeed moved on.

With nascent bitterness that I didn't get my MP with an 0.85 viewfinder,

s-a

Let's hope it has a minimum focusing distance of  0.70m... !

Hum... I looked at the (few) pics and compared with the old Summaron 2,8 cm 5,6...

- The indexes for the distances (20 - 10 - 7 - 5m) look to have the same spacing in the old and new : if so, the helicoid' step is the same (barrel' diameter looks identical)

- When viewed  from top, the angular distance between the focus knob at infinity and the pin (screw) for blocking at the minimum distance looks also the same (180° or a little less) : rotation ought to be significantly longer to reach 0,7m... so I suppose it is 1 m.... maybe 0,9... but it would alter the "fidelity to the venerable old Summaron" ;)

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

My old friend.   :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

To see examples of how the vintage version of this lens works on the Leica M240 see my article linked below. I paid a lot less than is being asked for the new version. The vintage version is not a very common lens, only 6228 were ever produced. I would expect the price of the vintage version, which was never low, to increase even further.

http://macfilos.com/photo/2016/5/20/leica-28mm-summaron-f56-little-old-guy-goes-modernperhaps?rq=Summaron

The old version is a superb lens. I may even spring for the new version as well.

William

• Like 3

Can we assume that this will a regular sales item readily available...? I want this one to accompany my cron! I am ready to sell my Elmarit asph right away...;-)

Translating from German, it seems that this may be a special order item.

William

• Like 1

Hello James,

That would be a good idea.

But, I think the target audience is digital photographers who are interested in something "retro"

Don't forget: With digital camera's greater ability to take higher quality photos at higher ISO's than was the situation a few years ago: The smaller aperture is not an impediment to a digital photographer who wants a "retro" look.

Smaller apertures, where a limited depth of field is not the goal, is the future for photographic lenses. As image quality at higher ISO's continues to improve.

Best Regards,

Michael

The frontal view looks as if this might be LTM with an adapter. Or retro-styled to seem so.

Not really, it has a six-bit M mount. The mechanical and optical construction is similar to the original lens, but the optics have been recalculated.

• Like 1

I think is a sort of "test of the market" to verify how is, numerically, the interest towards high priced retro lenses... Others could follow(*)  if this one enjoys a decent success (I think that, say, 500 to 1000 items would mean already a decent return, at this pirice...)

(*) Summarex 85 ? Hektor 125 ? Thambar 90 ? :p

• Like 2

• jaapv changed the title to Leica Summaron-28 -image thread