Leica Summaron-28 -image thread

helged

Guest Nowhereman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I kept on thinking that the foreground of my picture of the interns above should be darker in the foreground and decided that I like it better in B&W,

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I am learning a lot from this thread about street photography. Not much of photography, but what (not) to post and how to defend in virtual online world. :)

Disclaimer: I have not shot with 28 summaron (I use 28 cron) and I am not a street photographer. Although I did try once. I tried to cover as many streets as possible in one picture. Please feel free to criticize. :)

• Like 9

Hear hear, let's get back to some more photos!

@Nowhereman - I love the rawness and happenstance of you images, keep them coming!

@wattsy - more of you gentle landscapes please!

@Ozytripper - let's see em!

ps, I don't care how old anyone is, or why it matters in the slightest. Are the young not allowed to take photos? Last time I checked both young and old were capable of making great photos but what do I know.

Edited by michaelwj
  • Like 1

Guest Nowhereman

Thanks, Ozytripper and Michael. The best way deal with the type of posts that you refer to is simply to ignore them. BTW, I don't mind negative comments when they are a critique: e.g., "I don't like your composition because of A and B and C..." vs "I don't like your composition." I might care about what the former type of statements say depending on the specifics, but couldn't give a damn about the second.

Michael - "I love the rawness and happenstance of you images." Thanks, that surely is the point of that type of image. In a photo essay or a book that approach can be overdone. I find the combination of the Summaron f/5.6 28mm and the M10 is excellent for this type of mage, though I'll also try this lens with Tri-X and Portra 400.

As for color vs B&W for this type of street photography: some images like my last one above, for me, works better in B&W, particularly when shot in harsh and bright tropical light. Color, though, can be very good when the color itself is the basis of the composition, as in  the picture of the university student in post #790 on page 40.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Edited by Nowhereman

Hear hear, let's get back to some more photos!

@Ozytripper - let's see em!

ps, I don't care how old anyone is, or why it matters in the slightest. Are the young not allowed to take photos? Last time I checked both young and old were capable of making great photos but what do I know.

Hi Micheal,

I totally agree that age has nothing to do with talent and the ability to take great photos

Attached below are a few photos I took this morning just walking around in the rain. Absolutely no Pulitzer Prize winners here nor anything of artistic value. But I had fun. Even ran into a fellow Aussie Tourist photographer and had a good yarn

Just an ordinary Hong Kong market scene

• Like 2

M10 and 28mm F5.6 re-issue

I tried to be brave and shot this guy upfront. Instead of offering to kiss me he threatened to stick his tooth pick in my eyeball :(

not usual to see a guy picking his teeth like this in a busy street even in Hong Kong :)

Edited by Ozytripper
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M10and 28mm F5.6 re-issue

Disclaimer: I believe my M10 and lens is not water sealed so when I saw this Open Top Tour bus with tourists in raincoats looking miserable, i had to run out into the rain, too this quick snap and run back under shelter.

Hence the poor quality. :)

• Like 2

Why is it good? Is shooting from the hip not a valid form of photography?

Hi Michael,

I have never shot from the hip before. But i sure am going to give it a try. No pain no gain. Let's all try it with our Summaron and post some lovely photos. Better still start a new thread - shooting from the hip  :)

Cheers

• Like 2

Please cut out the personal insults and fighting. It is Sunday morning and I have better things to do than edit-delete posts and warn members for infantile squabbling.

The forum forbids ad-hominems, insulting and abusive posts and fighting.

Edit - I see that Andy is deleting. Thanks, Andy.

• Like 5

First contribution to this thread  :) 

• Like 4

Berlin, Tiergarten

M10, 28 Summaron

• Like 11

Last Friday we had a superb sunset. This shot is of Poole Harbour with the tide out  looking toward Brownsea Island with the East Dorset Sailing Club jetty on the right.

M9/ 28mm5.6 at 5.6/640ISO

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 8

I am learning a lot from this thread about street photography. Not much of photography, but what (not) to post and how to defend in virtual online world. :)

Disclaimer: I have not shot with 28 summaron (I use 28 cron) and I am not a street photographer. Although I did try once. I tried to cover as many streets as possible in one picture. Please feel free to criticize. :)

attachicon.gifexp_sm_20140320SFO_landing-1072350.jpg

Isn't this pure Street Photography??? 

• Like 1

What I particularly like about this lens is how it handles contre-jour. The combination of moderate contrast, good flare handling and "glow" (presumably some aberration thing) works well with modern film. So much so that I am willing to put up with the soft corners as a price worth paying.

37954965964_a746e941eb_b.jpg

• Like 5

• jaapv changed the title to Leica Summaron-28 -image thread