Leica Summaron-28 -image thread

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Tourists in Dresden

MM1, 28mm Summaron

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

I'd read about this lens and bought one yesterday because is was there in the store. I am simply intrigued and looking forward to using this for street photography mainly on an M10, probably also some film. Having dropped an MM into the Pacific Ocean a couple of years ago (well insured), I'm rather sensitive to nearby water. There doesn't see to be a sensible UV filter and I won't be using the hood. The lens cap is the best I've come across for wanting to stay on.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought this lens on a complete whim on Wednesday (see 742 above), to do some street photography and potentially as a walkabout lens on an M10. I use the Q quite a lot and mostly in full automatic mode, often when out with the wife or kids. I've not done much "street" as the good stuff I've seen is probably way beyond me and a lot the rest leaves me completely underwhelmed. Anyway, 28mm is the only thing the Q and this lens have in common. You have to be is serious darkness to get the Q to budge off f1.7 in auto mode, and when I'm using the Q it's usually because I don't want to faff around with it too much. I'm quite happy with the focal length. I set the M at 1/4f minimum speed and limited ISO to 6400 and popped down to Liverpool Street. Before out of the station, at ISO6400 f5.6 it does go quite badly at the edges.

Edited by sls
  • Like 1

At f11 it is an awful lot better. Original image was processed in High Structure, in Efex. Seems free of distortion.

Edited by sls
  • Like 2

Colour seems pleasantly muted compared to the Q, although that may be more down to the M10 more than the lens. One from the can, one bleached through Efex. The second image was accidentally done in part sun at ISO 6400 and 1/3000, to no great ill effect. It is a half crop as well.

Edited by sls

When in optimal conditions, I was slightly amazed how sharp this lens can be in optimal conditions. This was ISO 500, f11, 1/180. The edges are sharp but it still loses it a bit in the corners. A rather spooky reflection turned up in the glass.

Contrary to what I'd read, it is possible to use this lens indoors. There was no lighting inside St Botolphs, ISO 6400 and a little tweaking gives a nice image and I love the colour rendition on this. The church has recently has a "tired" renovation, they didn't want to make it gaudy. The one looking into a shop was at ISO 400. I've recently been using the Voightlander 15/f4.5 for interiors, and what can be got out of relatively slow lenses is one of my big plusses from the M10.

• Like 5

I did have a lot of fun doing what I assume is traditional street photography. I tried to stay on infinity and, by remembering the minimum focal distances from f5.6 to f11 made sure I wasn't too close to the subject or quickly changed the aperture. The 1/4f setting was intended to avoid too much movement, but I might have been better to just set it to 1/250. I was happy even with some of the ones that went a bit wrong. I also tried to avoid using the viewfinder, see if I could point the thing from various parts of my anatomy. The chap with the dog was a result as it was shot with my back to him, walking away, pointing the camera backwards from trouser pocket level. He does seem to have very big feet, which I assume is distortion.

Overall, for an impulse purchase, I am pleasantly delighted with this lens. It is great fun. I mostly avoided f5.6 and the vignetting that is meant to be a positive flaw in performance. The extreme depth of field aided by the wonderful design of this lens was something new to me. The only time I chose f5.6 in good light was to keep the dof down to about 3m for a particular subject.  

I used it with a £10 rope wrist strap and it fits in my trouser pocket, which is a first. 

Edited by sls
  • Like 1

What do you mean by "The extreme depth of field aided by the wonderful design of this lens was something new to me."?

All 28mm lenses are the same at f5.6, summilux and summaron included.

Because, compared the Q (which is effectively a 28 Lux)  the focal plane is so much easier to read off, as well as the depth of field. I've not used a 28 Lux M lens, looking at images it is better than the Q in that regard. The Summaron has a long focus throw, so the more accurate focal markings are I assume a factor of that. The longer throw is not a big deal given I mostly used at infinity. The ergonomics of using a pin rather than a thumb lever is a new one for me, certainly seems better suited to the longer throw, although Leica historians will probably tell me the thumb lever was a product of the shorter throw of modern lenses (I have no idea how many older lenses used this mechanism).  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have not noticed increased vignetting with the hood on, for the short duration I had it on. The hood has since been stored and I've been happy shooting without it. It makes the whole package so much smaller.

Pictures to follow.

Alex

I purchased this lens and should get it by next week. Can't wait to use it and share images here :-)

I have a question, will use of the hood increase the vignetting effect? Sorry if it's a noobie question. TIA

PS Please share more pictures taken with this lens :):wub:

• Like 1

Some recent photos with the Summaron-M 5.6/28 on M10:

Alex

• Like 16

I love this lens...

I don't use the lens hood.

Leica Summaron-M 28mm f/5,6 + Monochrom MM1 

f/8

Capture One

Natural vignetting.

Edited by noirblancgris
  • Like 5

• jaapv changed the title to Leica Summaron-28 -image thread