Leica Summaron-28 -image thread

helged

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Summaron wide open taken with Monochrom Ver 1.
  • Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Although there is a tremendous effort from Leicaphiles to make this lens into a somewhat magical lens, I fail to see how different it is.

And the digital colors... is there anything easier in this world than to tweak digital colors? 95% of a lens' soul is lost on a digital camera. And another 95% of the 95% is lost in flickr or on any screen.

I own this lens and seeing a real difference vs my other 28 lenses will require a lot of printing. Years.

The whole appeal I get from this lens is it feeds my fetish of being closer to hcb with every gentke stroke I give this lens.

And the anti-snob-but-very-snob-deep-down-inside Leica ownership feeling I get.

• Like 3

Although there is a tremendous effort from Leicaphiles to make this lens into a somewhat magical lens, I fail to see how different it is.

And the digital colors... is there anything easier in this world than to tweak digital colors? 95% of a lens' soul is lost on a digital camera. And another 95% of the 95% is lost in flickr or on any screen.

I own this lens and seeing a real difference vs my other 28 lenses will require a lot of printing. Years.

The whole appeal I get from this lens is it feeds my fetish of being closer to hcb with every gentke stroke I give this lens.

And the anti-snob-but-very-snob-deep-down-inside Leica ownership feeling I get.

Thank you for your input, I really like the results shown from the lens but do take your point about digital photography being able to produce any look required by the photographer. Perhaps the appeal is getting 'the analogue look' without manipulation? You should know better than I, as I don't own the lens. I didn't consider the snob appeal as, if I do buy the lens, it will be against logic, other than liking the small size and 'analogue look'.

Could it be that this new Summaron is so popular because it's easy to use: accurate focus as with any closed down wide angle is less critical, it's small and does not require a hood and so the camera fits in the pocket, it's a nice looking silver chrome relic of the past...in a sense, it's the complete opposite of the Karb era lens which are spectacular in performance but more demanding of photographer skill set and not nearly so cute?

• Like 1

Could it be that this new Summaron is so popular because it's easy to use: accurate focus as with any closed down wide angle is less critical, it's small and does not require a hood and so the camera fits in the pocket, it's a nice looking silver chrome relic of the past...in a sense, it's the complete opposite of the Karb era lens which are spectacular in performance but more demanding of photographer skill set and not nearly so cute?

Yes.

And as crazy as it may sound, the lens could be much smaller. It's fairly big for what it is, And square. Doesn't slip in a big pocket so well... but still fun and small enough.

I would say this, it is extremely compact compared to other Leica 28mm lenses. Yes a 5.6 lens will be smaller, however there are no other lenses this small in the Leica line up.

The price is in the same ballpark as the 28 Elmarit ASPH, so it is not expensive by Leica standards, and the build quality is exceptional.

Now I must say that for colour work it may not look all that different to other modern lenses, but for B&W work with a Monochrom the results are fabulous.

Not only is the lens physically the same as the 1958 original, but the image quality with a Monochrom camera is as close to a classic film "look" as you will find.

Just love the results.....a higher level of detail, resolution, and tonal range than vintage film results.

Additionally the transition from the point of focus to the out of focus image is super smooth, probably the most significant feature of the design.

Highly recommended especially for B&W work.

The lens could easily be 50% smaller. The whole aperture ring + front part could be stripped and you'd have the very same lens but really small.

And you lost me at all the "transitions" and "great for BW" and "film look".

A lens design doesn't work that way.

The lens could easily be 50% smaller. The whole aperture ring + front part could be stripped and you'd have the very same lens but really small.

And you lost me at all the "transitions" and "great for BW" and "film look".

A lens design doesn't work that way.

Vintage symmetrical lens designs do in fact have a perceived depth of field greater than the physical design predicts.

The key element here is "PERCEIVED".

The lens symmetrical design of the 28 Summaron has a smooth transition from in focus to out of focus (OOF), that appears to be a greater depth of field than modern designs.....such as the 50 APO Summicron for instance, where the depth of field changes dramatically from very sharp to OOF, thus exemplifying the sharpness of the lens at the expense of the perceived depth of field.

Combine the smooth transition of the 28 Summaron's of depth of field with excellent tonal gradation, and your have a superb B&W lens!

Edited by 4X5B&W

I noticed two magicsl words: Vintage and Perceived.

Do only Vintage symmetrical designs give more dof? Why not Moderm symmetrical designs? What's the difference?

And what if I don't perceive this difference (because I don't)? And isn't perception Highly subjective?

And at last, what's the problem with combining a so-called smooth tonal gradarion (this means absolutely nothing to me and Your explanation is not satisfactory) to excellent tonal gradation (a basic feature of any lens on the market, and I mean any) with color photography?? Why is this reserved exclusively for B&W photography, according to you?

I'm not looking to necessariily argument. But after having shot over 20,000 rolls of film and having spent about 10,000 hours in a darkroom, I haven't yet encountered a situation where a given lens is so much better specifically for BW over color. and when I thought I did, it wasn't a symmetrical design. Let alone "vintage".

Well, perception IS  highly subjective, having said that vintage lenses have a look that can be found anywhere in images from that timeframe.....start at the year 1900 for instance.

I would consider vintage designs being up until lens coatings, computer designs, and ASPH elements started producing super sharp, high contrast images such as produced by  the 28 Elmarit ASPH for instance.

Now if one compares images from a 28 Summaron and a 28 Emarit ASPH and can't see the difference in either B&W or colour, well all I can say is subjectively the difference or lack of,  is obviously in the eye of the beholder......YMMV.

That might double the price.

Doesn't slip in a big pocket so well... but still fun and small enough.

I don't have specially large pockets but on the M9 it drops right in to my coat pocket, no problem. Being able to pocket my camera is just an added bonus of having this lens. Mine has been practically glued to the M9 since I got it.

I do have a couple of very minor issues with it though. My long-ish hair gets in the way on a windy day and still too often I get focusing finger in the pictures !! First issue is easy to deal with (pair of scissors) and the second issue is just a question of paying more attention !

• Like 2

• jaapv changed the title to Leica Summaron-28 -image thread