Leica Summaron-28 -image thread

helged

I would be very surprised if Leica were to market a new 28mm f5.6 lens, at least if it were for full format. F5.6 as the  maximum aperture is simply too lowish these days to attract potential customers. Even f4 would be low in my view. And the current Elmarit-M 2.8/28mm asph lens is aleady a very compact lens, so why would they bother.

However, as a sort of pancake lens for non-ff it might make more sense, so let's wait and see.

Best,

Andreas

• Like 1

Well, both Super-Elmars are doing quite well, so Leica is certainly interested in building smallish, slowish, high-spec wideangles.

The Voigtländers 4.5 and 5.6 are successful too, are not they.

Jan

Edited by jankap
  • Like 2

Hello Everybody,

And, don't forget the F2, APO 50.

As sensors become better at higher ISO's the necessity for larger apertures, in many instances, becomes less.

It is easier to produce a lens that produces a higher quality image if it can be designed with a smaller, to a point, maximum F Stop.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

for street, landscape, and travel photography, f5.6 isnt a concern at all for me.

My 28mm summicron may as well only have two f-stops at 2 and 5.6, cause about ~90% of my shots are there. And admittedly, the majority of my shots at f2 are unnecessary in terms of light level. Would be interesting to have a bit more of the lens character and dna present in a "wideopen" f5.6 aperture, especially if it stays mostly true to the original. It's one of the reasons I also love my 35mm Summaron. Wideopen, most anytime, without needing an ND filter.

Interesting approach to conclude from a 403 error message what lenses will come. 

That's either a wild stab in the dark or really clever (in which case Leica still can learn something about web users). ;)

Why should Leica not market such a lens? There will be customers for every lens that has a special rendering - and the 5.6/28 did. 

Time will tell...

• 1 month later...
  • jaapv changed the title to Leica Summaron-28 -image thread