Leica Summaron-28 -image thread

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

en Tocopilla by JM__, on Flickr

28 Summaron LTM 1956 on M10

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Not artistic but technical finding here, on M8 or other camera, this would be the same.

To be considered also, if this is important, sunstars not present on Summaron at f/5.6 wide open.

• Like 1

confined by JM__, on Flickr

28 Summaron LTM M9M

Best, JM.

Edited by JMF

3 minutes ago, JMF said:

With all due respect, this  was shot with  a 28 Summaron ? Looks like quite shallow depth of field for a 28 Summaron f5.6 .

Best, JM.

Hello Jean-Marc,

Yes it was with the LTM Summaron 5.6/2.8cm focus to 1m.

I was very surprise myself by the shallow dof, when I viewed this for the first time.

Had you never tried this ?

9 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Hello Jean-Marc,

Yes it was with the LTM Summaron 5.6/2.8cm focus to 1m.

I was very surprise myself by the shallow dof, when I viewed this for the first time.

Had you never tried this ?

Thanks, I will try outside . The post right behind the scooter case is very much out of focus. But I believe you.

Best, JM

Edited by JMF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

28 Summaron LTM M10

Edited by JMF

M10P

• Like 3

On 2/21/2021 at 1:18 PM, Daniel C.1975 said:

Hi,

from today and not the best from the series, but I would like to show a comparison between the mighty and technical perfect 35mm SL and the really not perfect 28mm Summaron. Between these two lenses are roughly 60 years in design (my Summaron is the new one) around 600 Gramm of weight and lots of volume :)   and of course one is a 28mm and the other is a 35mm. 

The Summaron was wide open at f5.6 (don't bother with the wrong exifs, I have adjusted in Lightroom to the right lens corrections). The Summicron-sl was at f7.1 to get the branches sharp).

First the Summicron-sl 35, second the Summaron 28mm - to get both shots in one post I have scaled to 1800 pixels on the long side.

Both are beautiful images, but I find myself much preferring the rendering of the Summaron. This is a very sweet little lens.

M10-P and 28 Summaron

• Like 3

I've had this little Summaron for a few months. More recently I picked up the 28 Summilux asph and have been able to compare the two. The Summilux has the obvious advantage of four f-stops, but I think the overall image quality--color rendition, edge to edge sharpness and contrast--of the Summaron is at least as good and perhaps better than the Summilux. I'm very impressed with it.

M10M and 28 Summaron

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 8

Closed 'till spring.

M10-P, 28 Summaron

• Like 5

On 1/31/2021 at 10:05 AM, Daniel C.1975 said:

and the last one  from near by the station..

All with the SL2-s, with which I now started to use the lens hood to not always have my finger infront of the lens - never happened with the M10 :)

great reflection in puddle; looks like he is jumping in!

• Like 1

I followed the post from the first to the last message, congratulations to everyone but I am still very undecided whether to buy. I own a Laica M-P tuo 240 and I have noticed that the colors and the rendering of this lens are more suitable with the film or with the sensor CCD.  This lens would be used alongside another lens, the elmarit 28 mm III version. 

Welcome here Edoardo,

This Summaron 28mm is a specialized lens which is not for every use.

If you don't see why buying it, why bother, you have already a good 28mm.

Concerning "colors rendering", with digital we can give the renderings that please us.

I use this lens on CCD and CMOS (color and b&w), I don't see any difference in whole rendering of the combos.

Pictures that you see here or other places are all "tweaked to please the photographers" (more or less),

so you can not see what this lens can do for you.

Just the compactness and handling ARE different, I didn't know that I must take care to my digits not to protrude in front of the 28 Summaron 😉.

Hi everyone, thanks for your reply, I am looking for compactness and manageability, but we must admit that this lens is wonderful on film, on the other hand there is something wrong with digital, in the sense that it loses character.  Surely the color with digital is editable but I see more cold colors especially with the M typ 240. however I am intrigued by this lens in fact I would like to change my elmarit. thanks for the photos, dont's stop photo.

• Like 1

digit in frame !

this can happen if I don't take care ...

For color rendering on CMOS sensor, I can see the nuances in clouds here as good as other sensors or film ...

another plus of this lens is "lack of sunstars" which pleases me a lot,

but others don't care at all or searching for them !

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2021 at 3:07 PM, t4r2017 said:

Been a long time lurker of these forums. Figured I’d start posting in 2021! Was lucky enough to get my hands on a black 28mm summaron a couple years ago and it’s my favorite lens. On my m10m 90% of the time. The high iso ability has made it a great every day lens surprisingly 😀. Doesn’t hurt that the paint matches exactly the black chrome of the m10m. 

Below is an image I took in SF on Christmas Day  2020

I've been meaning to contribute my thoughts on this picture for some time, as in my subjective opinion it is my single favorite image contained in the entire Leica User Forum at present. Composition on many many levels with the center tall background sky scraper rising up in the background to tower over the single solitary person, lighting, contrast, moment in time with "one" person perfectly captured, then the icing on the cake being this one image could well portray the past years lockdown for so many on this planet. Just an absolutely superb image on so many levels and measures. Someone in a place of power please contribute this forward to receive the awards it deserves. 

• Like 6

On 1/3/2021 at 4:07 PM, t4r2017 said:

Been a long time lurker of these forums. Figured I’d start posting in 2021! Was lucky enough to get my hands on a black 28mm summaron a couple years ago and it’s my favorite lens. On my m10m 90% of the time. The high iso ability has made it a great every day lens surprisingly 😀. Doesn’t hurt that the paint matches exactly the black chrome of the m10m. 

Below is an image I took in SF on Christmas Day  2020

I have no idea if you're into competitions, but I would encourage you to consider entering this image in the competition linked here:

https://www.photoawards.com/ipa-oneshot-2021-our-times-pandemic-perspectives-photo-contest

• Thanks 1