Leica Summaron-28 -image thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been a long time lurker of these forums. Figured I’d start posting in 2021! Was lucky enough to get my hands on a black 28mm summaron a couple years ago and it’s my favorite lens. On my m10m 90% of the time. The high iso ability has made it a great every day lens surprisingly 😀. Doesn’t hurt that the paint matches exactly the black chrome of the m10m.    Below is an image I took in SF on Christmas Day  2020       Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidde

Example photos, you ask?? He, he, Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Ya'll don't all go out and buy the lens it at once, now, you'll be bound to push up the prices Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! :) Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hall

It's kind of crazy how sharp this little lens is. A few "winterspring" impressions from a walk with the dogs. Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!     Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Posted Images

Dear Leica friends,

This is just to let you know that the reason why I am selling this beauty is because my eyes are getting worse, and I have decided to move to AF systems (Q or so).

This is also the reason why I have sold last week an 50mm APO Summicron.

So no technical reasons, only personal ones.

I attach an image that I have taken last week with the M10.

Cheers

John

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well nobody responded, so I did my own test! I bought a Nikkor 28cm in LTM, and took the same photo with the Nikkor, a Elmarit 28 ASPH, and what I consider side to be the "gold standard", a Summicron 35 ASPH. The Summicron is better, resolution wise, than the Elmarit, which is a bit better than the Nikkor...but all three are very nice, and the Nikkor may be acceptable for someone who wants to do street photography, but who can't afford the new Summaron, and as well as being a bit faster. As for the mount and general quality, the Nikkor is very nice. I do hope that Leica sells many Summaron 28's and makes a good profit on them, and that the folks who can afford it do actually use it to take pictures! 

folks who can afford it do actually use it to take pictures! 

What else would they do with it ? As many others have done you wrongly imply that it's an expensive lens. Ok, it is, but not in Leicaland. Go to any Leica dealer website and go to the new lens page. Sort by descending price and you'll find the Summaron quite a long way down in the list.

FYI: Following are examples of an original  28mm Summaron which has been thoroughly cleaned by Sherry some years ago. The first snapshot (my morning walk) was with lens detection off; the second was with the current lens coding. Processing was minimal and identical with a Wide Open aperture of F:/5.6. Stating the obvious: the photos were pretty close up with the point of focus (M9) being the first fence post. Regards, ron

Edited by Ronazle

I disagree. HCB's soul divided by all Leica lenses, past and future, makes for an extremely small quantity of soul per lens. Just enough for magic to operate. Or at least on a psychological level.

Any more HCB-ism to share, anyone? Pics?

FYI: Following are examples of an original  28mm Summaron which has been thoroughly cleaned by Sherry some years ago. The first snapshot (my morning walk) was with lens detection off; the second was with the current lens coding. Processing was minimal and identical with a Wide Open aperture of F:/5.6. Stating the obvious: the photos were pretty close up with the point of focus (M9) being the first fence post. Regards, ron

L7009910NCsml.jpg

L7009909Csml.jpg

Great comparison; it looks like the lens coding reduces the vignetting.

...; it looks like the lens coding reduces the vignetting.

That's the main purpose of lens detection.

Though - the vignetting of the 28mm Summaron is an important part of its character. And why would one use a "substandard" outfashioned lens-design - if not for its character?

That's the main purpose of lens detection.

Though - the vignetting of the 28mm Summaron is an important part of its character. And why would one use a "substandard" outfashioned lens-design - if not for its character?

Actually the "main" purpose is to record the aperture and focal length off the lens, on which distortion, vignetting and aberration corrections depend.

Everyone has their own preference and it is nice to "toggle" the effect of corrections in Lightroom or Photoshop.

Actually the "main" purpose is to record the aperture and focal length off the lens, on which distortion, vignetting and aberration corrections depend.

Everyone has their own preference and it is nice to "toggle" the effect of corrections in Lightroom or Photoshop.

The aperture recording is a guess by the camera. Unreliable.

• jaapv changed the title to Leica Summaron-28 -image thread