Leica Summaron-28 -image thread

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, hdmesa said:

The 40 2.8 is close enough for me in both character, size, and with identical retro focus knob with infinity lock operation. I can use the 40 2.8 at 5.6 for the same DOF "look" or use it wide open for another look but with the same vignetting style.

SL2-S -|- CV 40 2.8 wide open

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Good to hear ! Very useful info thanks although perhaps my wallet won’t thank you as I currently have neither of these lenses. 

I love 40mm focal length.  Assume this lens is bringing up 50mm frame lines ? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grahamc said:

Good to hear ! Very useful info thanks although perhaps my wallet won’t thank you as I currently have neither of these lenses. 

Shh, keep it quiet, but TTArtisan has built a well-regarded clone of the Summaron. 🙂

1 minute ago, grahamc said:

Yes, I believe so.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, grahamc said:

Hah. At least it's one of the more affordable M lenses out there. Yes, 50 frame lines.

50 minutes ago, jslabovitz said:

Shh, keep it quiet, but TTArtisan has built a well-regarded clone of the Summaron. 🙂

A clone in external design only. It does not have the same soul as the Summaron.

• Like 1

Apologies for not posting a photograph, but this seems like the best place to get help. I've just purchased the 28mm Summaron and a 34mm Heliopan filter. I assumed that the Leica lens cap wouldn't fit with the filter attached (it doesn't) so I also purchased a34mm Kaiser push-on lens cap. This doesn't fit either!

Has anyone found a lens cap that will fit the Heliopan filter. Thanks for any help.

19 hours ago, JoshuaRothman said:

Well, I've just made my way through this whole thread from beginning to end, and I think it's convinced me that my next lens will be the Summaron. (And, lens aside, there are many, many great photos in here!)

Has anyone settled on a 50mm lens that matches the Summaron well in terms of rendering? I would love to have a small 28 / 50 pair....

Your question will probably get more attention, if if posted as a new question, with its own heading, in a new discussion topic. For your own research, in this forum, and elsewhere, I would think that the Summicron f/2 and Elmar f/3.5 lenses from the Fifties and Sixties would be good places to start looking, but there are other vintage 50mm lenses. Keep in mind that the currently-produced Summicron-M 50mm lens, known as the Version V among many Leica shooters, and still labeled as the Version IV by Leica, itself, has the Walter Mandler-designed 1979 optical formula, though the coatings on the lens elements have evolved, over time, since 1979.

A currently-made Summaron-M 28mm is going to have modern coatings, so, might be paired with a current-version Summicron-M 50mm. Vintage Summaron 28mm lenses, with the threaded mount, will not have modern coatings. I have a vintage, threaded-mount Summaron 28mm, and have not (yet) tried to acquire a 50mm of matching vintage. I would need to do some side-by-side testing, of the same scene, in quick succession if using daylight, to see if my modern Summicron-M 50mm or Elmar-M 50mm f/2.8 lenses “match” my vintage Summaron. 

The collapsible Elmar 50mm lenses would match the Summaron, in that when collapsed, they are very compact. (Pay attention to which collapsible lenses are safe to use, in the collapsed position, with your individual model of M camera, especially if a digital M! The only Elmar 50 that may be safe, on digital M, might be the latest Elmar-M, and even so, many shooters install an O-ring, or other device, to prevent the barrel from reaching the fully-collapsed position.)

A brief look at lens history indicates that the Summicron-M 50mm Version II “Rigid” would match the vintage, threaded-mount Summaron 28mm, chronologically. 

OK, let’s get back to this being an image thread. 🙂

Edited by RexGig0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

29 minutes ago, RexGig0 said:

OK, let’s get back to this being an image thread. 🙂

Agree!

M(240)

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Mike Rawcs said:

Apologies for not posting a photograph, but this seems like the best place to get help. I've just purchased the 28mm Summaron and a 34mm Heliopan filter. I assumed that the Leica lens cap wouldn't fit with the filter attached (it doesn't) so I also purchased a34mm Kaiser push-on lens cap. This doesn't fit either!

Has anyone found a lens cap that will fit the Heliopan filter. Thanks for any help.

There are two combos I used with the 28 Summaron:

1. Hood plus filter (install hood first, then carefully screw on the filter from inside the hood – helps to have the lens facing straight up so gravity helps align the filter)
  2. No filter and lens cap – for when the elements are not at risk of hurting the lens
  • Like 1

• Like 14

M11 with Summaron 28

• Like 9

• Like 14

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Ford GT40 from an LA car show over the weekend.

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2023 at 10:40 PM, Ouroboros said:

Evening light.  Traigh Rosamol, Isle of Harris.

MP

28mm summaron-m 

Rollei RPX25 in DDX 1:4

Really love this photo, the reflection on the sands make it more dramatic

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Taransay and the North Harris Hills at sunset.

M10-R bp

28mm summaron-m

• Like 13

Sea thrift, Isle of Harris.

M10-R bp

28mm summaron-m @f5.6

• Like 9