New T owner saying 'hi'

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Louis, I didn't know you were from Geneva. Well, I took the train down from Paris to Zurich, spent four days there, including one day hiking, very pleasant indeed, but not as alpine or spectacular as the area you are referring to I'm sure.  

So, Alexandre III, hmmm, I understand what you're saying... I am a fan of the old iron bridges over the Seine, myself (Austerlitz Viaduct for example, or Pont Mirabeau). 

My hometown is Paris, but during my teens, my father wanted me to go to school in Geneva because it was still a beautiful. quiet and safe town with great schools! :)

But if want to see real beautiful landscapes, you must go to the region between Switzerland and Italy!

Not necessarily that far, Louis. A few miles east from Lausanne may be enough.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Shot  last Saturday. T + 18-56 @ 20mm

JP

• Like 6

My hometown is Paris, but during my teens, my father wanted me to go to school in Geneva because it was still a beautiful. quiet and safe town with great schools! :)

So that's you there at the ETH in Zurich the other day, looking at the skies?  :)

• Like 3

Not necessarily that far, Louis. A few miles east from Lausanne may be enough.

attachicon.gifL1200292.jpg

Shot  last Saturday. T + 18-56 @ 20mm

JP

I totally agree, Jean-Paul; I was also in a boarding school in Lausanne. One of the most astonishing view I ever had in Switzerland was from that small train that goes from Lausanne to Gstaad, with the sun reflecting in le Leman and the mountains of Evian as the background!... :) Just unforgettable! 

Your beautiful shot looks a little farther than Lausanne; more like Montreux and Vevey! ;)

Edited by Louis

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Parisiennes,

I'll be visiting your awesome city in December for the 10th+ time. I've of course seen all of the usual tourist sites but wonder where you guys would suggest I visit that you love but off the tourist trail. 

You need to know a bit about me to advise: I have used a little hotel just off the Place St Michel for years. I love the Sorbonne, Pantheon, Jardin de Luxembourg area and the St Regis on Ile Saint-Louis is my favourite bar in town. I love confit de canard and a good cote du rhone.

23724378196_445ca3f53a_h.jpgL1120081 

Looking forward to your suggestions...

• Like 1

Dear Parisiennes,

I'll be visiting your awesome city in December for the 10th+ time. I've of course seen all of the usual tourist sites but wonder where you guys would suggest I visit that you love but off the tourist trail. 

You need to know a bit about me to advise: I have used a little hotel just off the Place St Michel for years. I love the Sorbonne, Pantheon, Jardin de Luxembourg area and the St Regis on Ile Saint-Louis is my favourite bar in town. I love confit de canard and a good cote du rhone.

L1120081

Looking forward to your suggestions...

Welcome to Paris. If you want to meet and go out to do some photography together after your arrival just let me know. I've been here for over two months now (a stone's throw from the Pantheon) and will stay until mid-January. My explorations are a bit atypical perhaps, like biking along the old canal network, interviewing/documenting migrants and refugees (until their camps got dismantled last week), scouting out new/modernist architecture (for example the LV Foundation / Gehry designed building out in the Bois de B.) etc. Other than that, I do a bit of street photography here. You'll miss Paris Photo, which is on right now, with a ton of galleries putting on shows, and the Grand Palais opening later this week.   

Place Vendome, FIAC art installation

• Like 3

Great shot, Thomas; Place Vandome is one of my favorite places and I used to hang out quite often in my other life.... Just a little fix of the horizontal! ;)

You are lucky to be in Paris during FIAC and Le Salon d'Automne. This is in my old neighborhood and I had to walk just  a couple  blocks to spend my days Le in Petit and Le Grand Palais! :) You can also find some very attractive women hanging around in these events! ;)

Edited by Louis

Great shot, Thomas; Place Vandome is one of my favorite places and I used to hang out quite often in my other life.... Just a little fix of the horizontal! ;)

You are lucky to be in Paris during FIAC and Le Salon d'Automne. This is in my old neighborhood and I had to walk just  a couple  blocks to spend my days Le in Petit and Le Grand Palais! :) You can also find some very attractive women hanging around in these events! ;)

Thank you Louis, that's an interesting neighborhood for sure, I love to walk around there, then connect to Rue Saint Honoré and do some window shopping.  

Leica this year for the first time will present two awards (Oscar Barnack and for a newcomer) at Paris Photo in the Grand Palais (later this week), I'll be there I hope. 

Happy 8th of November (wherever the dice will roll tomorrow)!

Thomas

Welcome to Paris. If you want to meet and go out to do some photography together after your arrival just let me know. I've been here for over two months now (a stone's throw from the Pantheon) and will stay until mid-January. My explorations are a bit atypical perhaps, like biking along the old canal network, interviewing/documenting migrants and refugees (until their camps got dismantled last week), scouting out new/modernist architecture (for example the LV Foundation / Gehry designed building out in the Bois de B.) etc. Other than that, I do a bit of street photography here. You'll miss Paris Photo, which is on right now, with a ton of galleries putting on shows, and the Grand Palais opening later this week.   

Thanks Thomas,

Unfortunately I can't commit to any time to meet up although that is a very kind offer. I have never been as far west as the Bois de B. so that is on the list. Cycling the canals to find/ interview/ document migrants and refugees is a worthy cause and I have enormous sympathy for their situation however (and I feel so shallow as I write this) its not very romantic.

Shame I'll miss the Paris Photo event. Bad timing is my thing.

Cheers,

Louis,

How can anyone 'hang out' at the Place Vendome? Its full of the highest of high end jewellers - selling the kind of products that make Leica look like a bargain. Cartier anyone? I did visit the Hemingway Bar within the Ritz before it closed for refit, but just the once. Quite an experience.

Louis,

How can anyone 'hang out' at the Place Vendome? Its full of the highest of high end jewellers - selling the kind of products that make Leica look like a bargain. Cartier anyone? I did visit the Hemingway Bar within the Ritz before it closed for refit, but just the once. Quite an experience.

LOL, You are absolutely right! But I loved so much this place and the historical meaning of "the column" that I always tried to pass by this place to anywhere I was planning to go. That said, I also enjoyed looking at those stores and had, myself, a few items from Cartier ( gifts). I have also been invited several times to the hotel's restaurant by friends who were passing by Paris!... ;)

Actually, as Thomas was talking about "Saint-Honoré", I was going to suggest to him to continue from the boulevard to "rue", and then continue again to rue JJ Rousseau where he can see one of the most charming "Passages" of Paris that is  Passage Vero-Dodat! ... I had friends who had galleries in this beautiful place!....

But then, I told myself, he only has 3 more months left in Paris and therefore, not much time to see everything; so, better not to confuse!   ;)

Edited by Louis
  • Like 2

LOL, You are absolutely right! But I loved so much this place and the historical meaning of "the column" that I always tried to pass by this place to anywhere I was planning to go. That said, I also enjoyed looking at those stores and had, myself, a few items from Cartier ( gifts). I have also been invited several times to the hotel's restaurant by friends who were passing by Paris!... ;)

Actually, as Thomas was talking about "Saint-Honoré", I was going to suggest to him to continue from the boulevard to "rue", and then continue again to rue JJ Rousseau where he can see one of the most charming "Passages" of Paris that is  Passage Vero-Dodat! ... I had friends who had galleries in this beautiful place!....

But then, I told myself, he only has 3 more months left in Paris and therefore, not much time to see everything; so, better not to confuse!   ;)

Hi Louis, 

Les Passages, ah...! I've been to a few, Jouffroy, Panoramas, St.André, lovely spaces, these, especially with the weather getting unpleasant. I'll check out Vero-Dodat, I don't recall the name but maybe the space when I see it again. Here's one from the Passage Jouffroy with the excellent 11-23mm: 

Ciao,

Thomas

• Like 4