How to get a lens coded....well

gotium

Jinfinance flanges work fine on my Summilux 50/1.4 v3 and Summicron 90/2 v3 but not with the following ones:

Summilux 35/1.4 # 11870

Summicron 35/2.0 # 11310
Summaron 35/2.8 # 11106
Summicron 40/2.0 # 11542
Summilux 50/1.4 asph # 11891
Summicron 50/2.0 # 11819
Elmar 50/2.8 # 11612
Summicron 90/2.0 # 11135
Elmarit 90/2.8 # 11129
Tele-Elmarit "Thin" 90/2.8 # 11800
Elmar 90/4.0 # 11631
Elmarit 135/2.8 # 11829
Elmar 135/4.0 # 11850

None of my ZM lenses have a recessed groove for coding, including the 1,4/35. However, I usually leave the lens detection off simply because I much prefer that the camera does not apply *any* changes to the RAW files.

I really wish that there was an option to simply record the lens meta data and not modify the RAW data. Micro 4/3 gets this correct, by recording the lens correction parameters in the RAW file but not baking them in to the pixel data itself. If I wanted cooked files I would shoot JPEG...

• Like 1

I made three lenses with Jinfinance flanges for my M9 (Elmarit 90 2.8, Summicron 50 11817 and Summilux 35 asph) and all worked well.

I made another lens for the 240 of a friend (Summicron 35 asph) and it worked.

All the three lenses I made for the 9 now work perfectly on my new M10.

Maybe it's more a matter of painting than of camera model.

Thanks for all the replies!

Would you have early ZM lenses? I have no experience with ZM 21/2.8 but both my ZM 35/2.8 and 50/1.5 have a coding groove on the flange. I've hand coded them with a mere sharpie several months ago and coding still works fine on my M240.

I bought both of my ZM lenses used, so I have no precise way of determining their age (or at least I am not aware of it if there exists such a way). However, I am quite sure that my 35mm is less than 18 months old, since I got it a year ago from the first owner shortly after he buys it (he discovered he could not live without a focusing tab...).

Without proper tools and skills I would tell you just send the lens to DAG or Leica.  Just bolting on a JF may or may not work.  

I wish I could send to Leica, but my understanding is that they will work only on Leica lenses (which makes sens really). As I am in EU, DAG is not practical either (I am fine with sending, but not with discussing with customs over matters that should not require me to).

None of my ZM lenses have a recessed groove for coding, including the 1,4/35. However, I usually leave the lens detection off simply because I much prefer that the camera does not apply *any* changes to the RAW files.

I really wish that there was an option to simply record the lens meta data and not modify the RAW data. Micro 4/3 gets this correct, by recording the lens correction parameters in the RAW file but not baking them in to the pixel data itself. If I wanted cooked files I would shoot JPEG...

I hear you! I am feeling the same actually. But the problem is that, without EXIF, there is no way for me to do it systematically and / or reliably. And for this, I need coding. On my last trip, I tried to identify lenses each time I change them (basically by taking a dummy picture of a sign indicating which lens I was mounting at each lens change...) but that is both boring and unreliable (I tend to forget; anyway, it is not part of the "just think about the picture you take" philosophy...).

If you don't mind sending it off, DAG's coding is perfect.  I sent Don my pre-6bit Summicron 35 ASPH for coding and it came back looking like it was done at the factory.

Yes, sorry I was not more specific: sending to the US while I am in the EU means more trouble than I want (explaining it twice to the customs that it is not an import).

Edited by Xavier

DAG and other serious workshops install coded flanges made by Leica i guess.

Not DAG...by hand. His black Leica dots also look professionally done, and I can assure you Leica doesn't paint them that way!

DAG is a pro.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Not DAG...by hand. His black Leica dots also look professionally done, and I can assure you Leica doesn't paint them that way!

DAG is a pro. [...]

Do you mean the paintings? Coded flanges are new Leica parts i guess. At least this was the case with the Leica workshops i've been dealing with in EU so far. I asked for the return of the original flanges and i got them each time. Those were codable lenses though. I suspect some drilling is needed for lenses Leica does not encode in Wetzlar (pre-asph 35/1.4, 35/2 v1 to v3, 50/1.4 v1 & v2, etc.).

DAG may have purchased a prepainted flange for my 50 2.8.  That flange had a special recess on the back to allow infinity focus.  Hard to do the recess without a lathe.  Anyway the paint matched the factory sample.

It is not hard to paint by hand either.  0 size brush in paint and fill the pit slowly.  Allow to dry in stages.    A bit of thinner will take surplus off the flange if it happens.   Thin the paint first.

I am sure Leica has some type of dropper that lets out premeasured amounts and they do it in one go.  Paint shrinks as it dries and you go from a surface tension bubble to a recess.  .

GM arctic white and gloss black work.