The frame of a Biogon 21/4.5 on a Leica M8 and possible color problem

cristivu

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

my name is Cristian Iacob. A few months ago I bought a Leica M8 camera and a new Biogon 35/2. I like this lens very much, but I still want to buy a lens that giving the 1.33 crop factor of the camera, to be a real wide lens. So I thought that Biogon 21/4.5 will be the right lens (not to more distortions, not extremely expensive and with some positive reviews). I saw that Leica M8 has 24 +35 mm and 28 + 90 mm framelines. Giving its 1.33 crop factor, Biogon 21/4.5, I guess that it will be like a 28mm on a Leica M9. On this point my question is which frame the camera will show to me as the nearest to the real focal length of the lens: 24 mm frameline (24 is close to 21/4.5) or 28 mm frameline (in fact this is the real focal of the Biogon 21/4.5 on a Leica M8). I would like to avoid an external viewfinder. Only if it is possible. 

My second fear is that Biogon 21/4.5 could present color problems on a Leica M8. I have read on some forums that this lens has some color problems on Leica M9, but I found no answer regarding the combination Leica M8 and Biogon 21/4.5.

Thank you very much,
Cristian Iacob

Welcome Cristian.

The 24mm frame-lines are the widest shown in the M8 viewfinder.  Note that the frame-line designations are as shown on the lens...they automatically take into account the 1.33 crop on the APS-H sensor.

If you don't want to use an extra viewfinder, a 24 mm focal length lens is as wide as you can go.  The very edges of the viewfinder would approximate the 21mm lens, and would work if you don't wear glasses, allowing your eye close to the viewfinder.

The framing lines are only set for 1m so the framing can be somewhat arbitrary...you'll get used to it.  Try the camera on a tripod and chimp your images to see the image framing, compared to the viewfinder.

You won't get colour distortions with wide angle lenses on the M8 as one does on the full size sensor of the M9, because the M8 uses the central "sweet spot" of the lens.

Enjoy your new Leica..cheers..

• Like 1

Thank you, Sir. Just to be sure that I understood: if I buy let say a Summilux 24/1.4, will Leica M8 automatically frame with the 24 frameline ?

Best regards,

Cristian Iacob

Yes all M compatible lenses bring up the right frame on any camera. (mechanically determined by the bayonet)

The only exception is the Summicron 40mm C which will bring up a 50mm frame because there is no 40 frame on most M bodies. In that case you can have it modified to bring up the 35 mm frame which will do much better for that lens.

Edited by dpitt

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks both of you. Today I have just tested Biogon 25/2.8 on Leica M8 and it has used the 24mm frameline indeed. But does 25/2.8 mm on a Leica M8 show what ~ 35 mm (25mm + 1/3) lens will show on full frame camera like M9 ?

Yes, the image size will be almost the same (slightly wider view) as a 35mm lens on an M9.

Ernst