Summilux 75 m or Summilux r 80???

cabe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The best advice i can offer is to check the lens on your own camera if you can or to make sure that you can return the lens to the dealer for free.  

..... and make sure that you make it very clear that focus must be 'correct' and if needed Leica should adjust this and that such an adjustment should be included in the price if its needed. Personally I'd either get the dealer to get the lens checked by Leica before shipping it to you, or arrange that if it needs adjustment that you can ship it to Leica and that the dealer will cover the full cost. Its a lovely lens which you will thoroughly enjoy using and well worth persevering with - I think of it as a 'long-term investment' lens - photographically, not financially, that is (although it may be both).

• Like 1

So its probably not as difficult to CLA as all that....

Obviously Leica can handle a CLA of the Lens. However the issue, check me here if somebody knows better, is that like the 135/2.8, the 75 Lux is glued together. So it must be cooked just to disassemble. Then there are the famous issues surrounding calibration, seen especially with the 90 crons of the era, where some of the lenses cannot be calibrated without new parts: which are not easy to come by. 

I've heard of shooters trying 3 75s with none usable. This is part of the reason for the high prices on clean copies.

16903987027_30e942ba13_c.jpg

Barton by unoh7, on Flickr

Edited by uhoh7

Obviously Leica can handle a CLA of the Lens. However the issue, check me here if somebody knows better, is that like the 135/2.8, the 75 Lux is glued together. So it must be cooked just to disassemble

I doubt this is accurate as I cannot believe that a manufacturer assembles such a lens in a way that means that it is not dis-assemblable without using a method which causes potential harm to the lens. As a suggestion, perhaps we shouldn't forget that these lenses are a few years old now and some at least will have had third part attention which may have resulted in problems if an incorrect 'adhesive' was used (or inappropriate thread locking compound). 

Good choice getting the 75 Summilux-M.  Although more expensive, it is smaller, lighter, more versatile (M-mount and EVF cameras) and will hold it's price if you need to sell it.

Irrespective of what the dealer states you will only know it's calibration accuracy when you start using it.

You will love this lens. It's like a better corrected 1.0/50 Noctilux with slightly more intimate framing.

And a much smaller subject area at the closest possible distance of 0.7m at 75mm, instead of 1m at 50mm. Ideal for children's portraits

• Like 1

I doubt this is accurate as I cannot believe that a manufacturer assembles such a lens in a way that means that it is not dis-assemblable without using a method which causes potential harm to the lens. As a suggestion, perhaps we shouldn't forget that these lenses are a few years old now and some at least will have had third part attention which may have resulted in problems if an incorrect 'adhesive' was used (or inappropriate thread locking compound). 

It depends on which parts of the lens we're talking about. I seem to have read that it was not uncommon for lens pairs or groups to be cemented, and that not all such groups can be disassembled. Apart from that, I really would't believe that Leica ever built lenses that could not be disassembled.

Here's an example how lovely it can draw in the background and how selective the focus can be at 3 to 4m still. Shot at 1.7 with a MM1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As you see I use it with the ThumbsUp because it's a heavy lens, it makes the whole much more steady for shooting but also in practical handling it is much safer. The 1.4* loupe gives me more control on focus

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by otto.f

It depends on which parts of the lens we're talking about. I seem to have read that it was not uncommon for lens pairs or groups to be cemented, and that not all such groups can be disassembled. Apart from that, I really would't believe that Leica ever built lenses that could not be disassembled.

I believe that lens elements cemented together with a UV cured adhesive cannot be separated easily if at all, but this is common to most 'modern' lenses which have used such adhesives. Any optical discrepancy resulting from inaccurate lens assemblies like this would have existed from new though. I'm assuming that it is the mechanics that need adjustment and they should be alright to dismantle even with a thread locking compound used (that's why the correct compound would have been used originally - its intended to secure but be undoable).

Then, the seller has checked the 75Lux on its M typ 240 and sent me several photos taken with the lens at f1.4.

He has not encountered any problem of focus.

We still agree that, in case there are problems when installed on my M, I can send it back without paying anything.

I'm crossing my fingers ...

• Like 2

Yes Otto, thankfully it went very well!

This weekend I hope to shoot some serious photos but, from what I've already seen, this lens seems truly spectacular!

For years I use Canon and most recently, after buying a Leica Q, I'm in love with this brand and I purchased an M typ 240 with 50Lux asph and a 90cron (second version).
I made several portraits with 90 and was fascinated by its quality.

Now I added the 75Lux and I am sure that I will remain fascinated by him!

Edited by cabe
  • Like 1

No, it is fully accurate. Leica confirmed to me that servicing the 75 Summilux is quite difficult, in part, because many of the lenses (like mine) included quite a bit of glue. Slow heating is required to soften the glue to the point that the lens can be opened up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm using the 75Lux and is a spectacular lens, especially in B&W!

Fortunately my copy has not focusing problems and, these days, I'm using it to do a bit of street photography.

Thanks again to everyone for the tips!

Here some shots taken...

L1001884.jpg

L1001972.jpg

L1001973.jpg

L1001993.jpg