Is there a new M-Adapter T soon to be released by Leica?

hmathias

I noticed that the Leica M-Adapter T (or L) is back-ordered everywhere.

Is that because there is a new design of Leica M-Adapter L soon to be released by Leica?

I don't mean to start a rumor...

Harry

You're right. We can never have enough rumours.

This is clear evidence that the M and T systems have both been discontinued.

• Like 3

I noticed that the Leica M-Adapter T (or L) is back-ordered everywhere.

Is that because there is a new design of Leica M-Adapter L soon to be released by Leica?

I don't mean to start a rumor...

Harry

Harry when I ordered my SL plus M-adapter a couple of months ago,  my Leica dealer advised me that every copy of their most recent stock order of adapters had been 'faulty' (unspecified as to what the fault had been) and there was a 10 day wait for delivery of new ones.   The order came in and I have experienced no issues with the adapter I recieved.    Perhaps there are still some recalls and replacements of stock causing the apparent lack of availability in some areas?      

Ross

I have heard from one dealer that Leica has asked them to send back the adapters so that they could replace them with the version that had an L on it instead of a T.

Bingo!   I hadn't checked before ...... mine is an M-Adapter L.    Strange that the salesperson called me and described the problem as a fault, but this must explain it :-)

• Like 1

Bingo!   I hadn't checked before ...... mine is an M-Adapter L.    Strange that the salesperson called me and described the problem as a fault, but this must explain it :-)

[back on my MAC again, with a working forum reply interface.]

Well, leave it to the Leica people to be persnickety enough that the "T" engraving bothered them. I was wondering if they might have also addressed the tiny issue of the M lenses focusing on Infinity, past the infinity lens calibration when used on the SL. This is a mount shimming issue, and it could be different on the "T" than the "L". 

Interesting thread. I have 4 M and 2 R lenses with my SL. The two R lenses are recognised straight away with the 2 adaptor solution. 3 of the M lenses no problem either. The 4th lens a secondhand APO Summicron-M 1:2.0/90 with the M Adapter T is recognised as a 16-18-21mm / 1:4.0 Set Tri-Elmar-M ASPH. and there is no option to change it, as this Tri-Elmar is the only one listed.

In the Leica shop they took their M Adaptor 'T', and their SL, APO Summicron-M 1:2.0/90 is displayed. I wonder now if their adapter is an 'L' and not 'T'.

The lens was uncoded so I am having that coded presently by Leica. I wonder what it will be recognised as when it comes back and whether I should be asking my Leica Store for a new adapter?

Hmmm That could be THE bug also. Perhaps the code sensor relay on the adapters don't line up correctly. But, if the lens is uncoded, why would it "read it" at all, let alone mis-read it? 

The usual explanation for the M incorrectly recognizing uncoded lenses is that there are some screws where the reader expects the code to be.

• Like 1

I don't have any thoughts about SPB's problem with an older APO-SC 90 M, but my adapter is an early vintage M-adapter T and I have had no confusion with it.  My problems come with the two adapter stack and the fact that I never seem to remember to change the profile in the camera when I change between R lenses.  But lots of Leica accessories spend their life as "back-ordered."  All of the lens adapters seem to be this way and so are the extra battery and connection handgrips.

scott

• Like 1

The usual explanation for the M incorrectly recognizing uncoded lenses is that there are some screws where the reader expects the code to be.

Clever! Yes, that is logical. 

I just ordered an M-Adapter L from the Leica Store in Vienna, no US or UK stores had them. Now I can at last, get a new SL to use with my M-lenses and my M 240.

Harry 

I don't have any thoughts about SPB's problem with an older APO-SC 90 M, but my adapter is an early vintage M-adapter T and I have had no confusion with it.  My problems come with the two adapter stack and the fact that I never seem to remember to change the profile in the camera when I change between R lenses.  But lots of Leica accessories spend their life as "back-ordered."  All of the lens adapters seem to be this way and so are the extra battery and connection handgrips.

scott

I am assuming (never having seen one), that the adapter that reads lens codes use optical light-pipes to relay the infrared emitters to the code paint and back to the photosensors. if there is a slight miss-alignment between the two stacked adaptor light pipes,  or too much light loss in the system — then the new lens code won't read right and the camera will happily remember the last lens it read.  

Hmmm That could be THE bug also. Perhaps the code sensor relay on the adapters don't line up correctly. But, if the lens is uncoded, why would it "read it" at all, let alone mis-read it? 

Exactly what I thought. It just displays as the Tril-Elmar which is shown 3 times, with no option to change it.

My problems come with the two adapter stack and the fact that I never seem to remember to change the profile in the camera when I change between R lenses. 

scott

It recognises Adpter-M T, and yes I too sometimes forget to change the profile for these two R lenses 100mm and 60mm Macro - this also using the two adapter stack. It sees the 21 Super-Elmar, 50mm 1.4 and 135 APO. 

Wonder what it will tell me my APO 90 is when it gets back!