Apoqualia-G 28mm f/2 lens for Leica M mount

fredus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Received mine last week. It weighs virtually nothing which is a joy. Optically, not in the same league as Leica glass. I have only shot with Leica lenses for the last 4 years and have gotten spoiled. That being said, the images on My M Monochrom are superior to the images on my M9. I don't quite understand why, but no question, I prefer the look in black and white.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been using this lens for a few months now. I love it! Some quick facts:

- 60 g

- minimum focus : 0.8m

- the front lens cap is a pain to remove (I had to google how to do it and struggled)

- front lens cap solution: get a 28mm filter and then screw on the hood - no more need for lens cap (see photo below)

- difficult/fiddly to change clickless aperture - solution: filter, then hood - now use hood to change aperture by simply turning it - works wonderfully

- focus "tab" - works great unless you have big fingers. screw it tight and then don't worry about it

Impressions:

- f2 is softer and more classic, slightly less contrast

- f2.8 much sharper, more contrast

- f4 onwards - great

- makes the M coat pocketable

As always it all depends what you are looking for. I don't do serious landscape - so I don't need pin point ultra sharp across every pixel. Same for architectural. I shoot mainly street, portraits, travel and family.

My considerations in getting this lens were (in order of importance):

- wanted a multi-use tiny lens that could make M coat pocketable

- should be a versatile focal length that can cover most of my normal needs (i.e. 24 - 50mm)

- something that could be reasonably fast (minimum f2.8)

- preferably a focal length I didn't already have (had 21, 35, 50, 90 and 105 - so a 28 was obvious)

- less than US$3,000

It was down to Leica elmarit (previous version, used) or this MS Optics 28/2. Didn't like the MS Optics 28/4 Super Triplet because it was f4, had exposed aperture blades and the formula was for a different look. Chose MS Optics 28/2 because it was truly pocketable and now after using it, I like the fact that it gives the option of a more classic look at f2 and a more modern look at f2.8 onwards. And it becomes the new summaron at f5.6 as well!  For those who don't care for a more classic look or don't appreciate it, then go for the 28 elmarit, summaron, f2 or Lux. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

By the way, how's the handling? Particularly changing aperture? 

To change the aperture without the filter + hood combo, it's very difficult and cumbersome even with my small fingers. If you use the filter + hood combo like you see in my photo above, it's very easy to change aperture by simply turning the hood. The hood is secured to the filter so unless you turn hard, it won't come unscrewed. If you only use the hood, you can change aperture but it makes it easier to unscrew the hood while changing aperture to the widest end.

With the filter, there is slight increased vignetting at f2. Without filter, there is still vignetting (just less). The vignetting is not severe.

At f2.8, the vignetting with filter is lessened. By 5.6 vignetting almost gone. You can try to get a thinner filter (if there is such thing).

This lens also flares from side sunlight sometimes (even with the hood - which is really too small to help much).

This lens requires you to work to bring out the best and even then, it's not a modern sharp across the whole frame lens. You want sharp, get the Leica 28 f2.8 ASPH. You want tiny lens with some character, this is the one.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I got this lens  almost six months ago _ I use it  on my actual trip to Asia_ This tiny lens along with the 50mm/2.8 Elmarit-M may be the best combination for Traveling Photography .

You can judge its performances by yourselves following on my trip 

www.daymadi.com 

Thank-you very much . 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I believe in having two types of lenses: 

- modern/sharp/perfect lenses e.g 35LuxFLE

- lenses with character I love e.g. Noct v3, 35Lux Pre-Asph 

This MS Optics has definite character especially at f2. Whether you like it or not, that's a matter of taste.

Another example of the lens. Shoot against the light and embrace the flare! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi all,

I got this lens  almost six months ago _ I use it  on my actual trip to Asia_ This tiny lens along with the 50mm/2.8 Elmarit-M may be the best combination for Traveling Photography .

You can judge its performances by yourselves following on my trip 

www.daymadi.com 

Thank-you very much . 

I too travel with the MS Optics and the 50/2.8 Elmar M!  I also add the CV 21/4. These 3 lenses together weigh a "hefty" 415g !

• 4 weeks later...

Two recent reviews of the lens, just in case you haven't seen them:

On Sony A7s:

http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2017/09/silk-pulled-taught-long-term-report-ms-optical-28mm-f2-apoqualia/

On Leica CL:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2017/09/01/review-ms-optics-28mm-f2-pancake-lens-leica-m-mount/

- curious for it to be reviewed on Leica CL, instead of Leica digital (M9, 240 or 10)

- the colour film used comes out muddy and hazy - it's not like that on digital

• Like 1

Two recent reviews of the lens, just in case you haven't seen them:

On Sony A7s:

http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2017/09/silk-pulled-taught-long-term-report-ms-optical-28mm-f2-apoqualia/

On Leica CL:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2017/09/01/review-ms-optics-28mm-f2-pancake-lens-leica-m-mount/

- curious for it to be reviewed on Leica CL, instead of Leica digital (M9, 240 or 10)

- the colour film used comes out muddy and hazy - it's not like that on digital

Despite my previous statements in this thread, the flesh is weak and I ended up caving in and getting a pre-owned 28/2 as well...

I completely stand by my earlier statements in terms of Miyazaki's declining QC (also see below) and would have never bought it new. Crucially however, this particular copy needed repair/adjustment straight out of the box and the previous owner had already gone through the trouble of sending it on a couple of trips back to Japan before deciding he didn't like it after all. Also, I confess the price was too good to pass...

Based on my limited experience with it so far, it's pretty good, not too different from the 35/1.4 in terms of overall rendering.

I normally don't use UV filters, except for a few lenses such as this one where I feel that the front element is too exposed, and I must say I struggled a bit to find one that wouldn't cause vignetting.

Also, I don't think the issue with the CL review you posted a link to has anything to do with film vs. digital. First of all, the lens reviewed has no hood - and the reviewer doesn't even seem to be aware that it DOES come with a hood, albeit a very small one. Secondly, the copy of the lens reviewed clearly has some very serious optical issues. While the reviewer briefly mentions that the lens is about to fall apart, I am astonished by the fact that not only does he base his review on what is obviously a broken lens, but also that he seems to like it...

• 11 months later...

Just started exploring the wild characteristics of this lens.

Field curvature is spectacular - the film boxes show the near distance plane of sharpness @ f/4

By my eye, watching the white furniture at the top, approximately -0.04 Distortion Correction in Raw Therapee - but still distorted in the top left corner.