Apoqualia-G 28mm f/2 lens for Leica M mount

fredus

The optical formula, a Gauss arrangement, is just like the 35/1.4 Apoqualia.

The 28/2 version MTF plots look very similar - so I would expect similar traits:

I really like the 35/1.4, its size and it's imperfections that add character.

I've posted lots of images from this here http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/253906-camera-geekery-the-new-ms-optics-apoqualia-35mm-14-f-mc/

One thing that does concern me is the field curvature: with a 28mm I tend to frame the main subject/person a third in from the edge to show the environment - so that is a focus and reframe situation. 

I let some others test the water before committing. 

My 28 2.8 ASPH is quite a nice lens.    Not a pancake, but the smallest they offer today.   Somehow I would rather have it over unknown.

Field curve is allowed to keep some other aberrations under control.   Most all Leica are not flat,  but flat as competition. 

• Like 1

I own a few. They are quirky and challenging to use, but provide a "different experience" and interesting results.

However, Miyazaki San now seems to be leaning towards churning out new lenses and has been falling behind in terms of QC.

My last purchase (the 35/1.4) was very disappointing in this respect and, despite the stellar service provided by Bellamy (aka Japan Camera Hunter) to help fix the issues, I will not buy lenses from MS Optics anymore.

• Like 1

Never tried that lens but I have a CV 28/1.9 I got for under $200 and it wows me.  Slightly lower contrast wide open than the Summicron, but from f/2.8 on down anyone would be hard-put to distinguish it from the Cron or V4 Elmarit.  And it doesn't suffer at all from focus shift, unlike the CV 28/2 in M mount.

• Like 1

I own a few. They are quirky and challenging to use, but provide a "different experience" and interesting results.

However, Miyazaki San now seems to be leaning towards churning out new lenses and has been falling behind in terms of QC.

My last purchase (the 35/1.4) was very disappointing in this respect and, despite the stellar service provided by Bellamy (aka Japan Camera Hunter) to help fix the issues, I will not buy lenses from MS Optics anymore.

So Ecar, which if any of the MS lenses, would you recommend then?

The 28/4 is a true pancake and surprisingly good. I use it mostly for travel/street.

The 35/3.5 is a decent travel lens, but the collapsing mechanism and tiny hood/cap are rather fiddly. My least favourite.

The 35/1.4 proved to be really interesting (once I had it fixed...) - reminds me of the pre-Asph Summilux, but with less glow wide open and more 3D separation. Hard to explain in words.

The 50/1.1 punches above its weight and size IMO, but its oof rendering is somewhat underwhelming for a Sonnar design (although, to be fair, I haven't really had time to play with its coma adjustment feature).

If I had to pick my poison, it would be the 35/1.4, despite all the trouble.

The 28/4 is a true pancake and surprisingly good. I use it mostly for travel/street.

The 35/3.5 is a decent travel lens, but the collapsing mechanism and tiny hood/cap are rather fiddly. My least favourite.

The 35/1.4 proved to be really interesting (once I had it fixed...) - reminds me of the pre-Asph Summilux, but with less glow wide open and more 3D separation. Hard to explain in words.

The 50/1.1 punches above its weight and size IMO, but its oof rendering is somewhat underwhelming for a Sonnar design (although, to be fair, I haven't really had time to play with its coma adjustment feature).

If I had to pick my poison, it would be the 35/1.4, despite all the trouble.

Whilst I have been drawn to them because if their size, the MS lenses seem so fidgity & quirky and have always wondered whether they were worth the effort; not as if a 28 Elmarit is all that big in the first place.

• Like 1

Whilst I have been drawn to them because if their size, the MS lenses seem so fidgity & quirky and have always wondered whether they were worth the effort; not as if a 28 Elmarit is all that big in the first place.

You are probably right. However, the 28/4 for example is really tiny, light as a feather and notably smaller than the Elmarit.

28mm is not my favourite focal length, but according to my LR stats the Perar seems to have gone out for a walk more frequently than the Elmarit or the Summicron, which are definitely much *better* lenses.

The MS lenses I own are fun to use, as they provide a different experience, and are easy on the back on those long walking days. This makes them worth their price to me. But it's fair to say that I have other choices and I would not recommend an MS lens as a single lens in any given focal length.

• Like 1

I am quite intrigued by these lenses. Having one (like maybe this new 28) would seem like a great idea of a lens that takes no space on my M9 and makes it almost pocketable (!). But for the price, I would still expect some minimal performance level. I am aware these are hand built and this gives them a very special value, but do you think the actual performance is reasonable ? (for instance, for the existing 28 or 35).

I am quite intrigued by these lenses. Having one (like maybe this new 28) would seem like a great idea of a lens that takes no space on my M9 and makes it almost pocketable (!). But for the price, I would still expect some minimal performance level. I am aware these are hand built and this gives them a very special value, but do you think the actual performance is reasonable ? (for instance, for the existing 28 or 35).

More than reasonable - yes. Comparable to the latest and greatest Leica, Zeiss or even CV - no. To oversimplify, think of old lenses from the 60's in terms of rendering, only with modern glass and coatings.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The optical formula, a Gauss arrangement, is just like the 35/1.4 Apoqualia.

The 28/2 version MTF plots look very similar - so I would expect similar traits:

I really like the 35/1.4, its size and it's imperfections that add character.

I've posted lots of images from this here http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/253906-camera-geekery-the-new-ms-optics-apoqualia-35mm-14-f-mc/

One thing that does concern me is the field curvature: with a 28mm I tend to frame the main subject/person a third in from the edge to show the environment - so that is a focus and reframe situation.

I let some others test the water before committing.

Beware of new lenses with "character"!

There are plenty of old lenses with character, available 2nd hand. The character being prized (hyped) by happy owners and

mostly by sellers.

New lenses better have QUALITY

Cudos to Dr. Karbe and of cause also to his colleagues in Oberkochen and the Far East for their successes in achieving modern quality, up to date with the latest sensors.

Edited by tri

Beware of new lenses with "character"!

There are plenty of old lenses with character, available 2nd hand. The character being prized (hyped) by happy owners and

mostly by sellers.

New lenses better have QUALITY

Cudos to Dr. Karbe and of cause also to his colleagues in Oberkochen and the Far East for their successes in achieving modern quality, up to date with the latest sensors.

"Character" lenses are also great for those who can't afford Karbes masterpieces :) Edited by michaelwj

"Character" lenses are also great for those who can't afford Karbes masterpieces :)

Jupiters are great for character - only problem is, the price is frowned upon. But few are better for the nostalgic look

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine yesterday - first impression is, that is not perfect. But as mentioned, it's something diffrent and I don't want to use it only on Leica-bodies. Hipe it is OK if I post a link to my fb-page.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=670689579770286&id=134771120028804&substory_index=0

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!