Is the 50 Summicron still relevant?

Julian H

I have the tabbed V4 (11819).  Whatever advantages the ASPH version has,  the price is too rich for my blood.  As for the ASPH Summilux, the size and weight are more than I want to add to my travel kit.  I have a V2 e43 Summilux, it cost me $600, I use it once in a while when I'm going to be shooting in low light situations.  But less now with digital than with film.  The V4 and V5 (same optics) Summicrons are thoroughly modern performers. 

Anyone has compared a digital M with the D800 or one of its successors?

Only for reprographic work here.

Guess the D800 is slightly sharper. But rather sightly. But it is not a D800E. Unfortunately I have no possibility to use the lenses vice versa. So the M240 is equipped with the Summicron 50 and the Nikon with a 55 mm Micro-Nikkor.

Left Leica, right Nikon

Whole image

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Detail

Edited by fotomas
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Only for reprographic work here.

Guess the D800 is slightly sharper. But rather sightly. But it is not a D800E. Unfortunately I have no possibility to use the lenses vice versa. So the M240 is equipped with the Summicron 50 and the Nikon with a 55 mm Micro-Nikkor.

Left Leica, right Nikon

This sort of confirms what I saw when comparing the DMR with the D800.

The left one looks sharper and more resolution to me than the right one. If you zoom in on the little branch on the tree stem, it is more detailed on the left.

IMO, what you gain in pixel numbers in the D8xx is more than compensated by the optimised filters on the M240 sensor.

Maybe the D800E would do better. 

Anyway, 2 M240 bodies and 50mm will easily fit in the same space where only one D8xx with lens will fit. With such a large difference in size, I would prefer the smaller Leica M even if it would have slightly smaller resolution.

I've got the version V and pretty much use it all the time. 50mm is, IMHO, the most versatile of all FF focal lengths. At a bit of a remove, it can capture a scene without much distortion. Close up, it'll double as a portrait lens. The cron is beautiful in its rendering. Love it on either my MM1 or my ME.

• Like 1